PDA

View Full Version : Running in

rs250nut
28-12-2008, 12:44
I have done a search on the boards and have not found a great deal of information on when to re-torque the head and adjust the valve clearances. After a 1000 miles?
Do I need to get the car warm then let it cool down then re-torque the bolts? I know peoples opinions on clearences differ but I Have a ktec cam 260 and am going to set the clearances at 15, 20.

ranj
28-12-2008, 13:45
Everyone has there own idea of running in, so views differ by a lot. I have just run my engine in , i changed the oil and filter after a 50 mile run , the same again after 500 miles , at this point i reset my valve clearances but i didnt retorque my head , just left it as it was. Turned boost up to 18psi and thats it .... i feel its run in :)

raj
28-12-2008, 15:09
after youve rebuilt the engine, run it up to temp, turn off and let engine cool overnight.
now from cold[dont run the car] retorque the headbolts 1st, then re-adjust the valve clearances.

also you say you have the ktec powersystems 260 cam! do you know what ktec state the valve clearances should be.? i was told .25/.30 :scared: but at the moment have the clearance set at .15/.20 and im getting random backfire/flame puffing out the carb top!