PDA

View Full Version : Sump removal

mike's r5
15-04-2013, 18:17
Hi guys, is there an easier way to remove the sump as in the Haynes u gave to remove an engine mount and hoist the engine up. Thanks.

Kris M
15-04-2013, 18:48
bend the subframe lip out the way ;)

mike's r5
16-04-2013, 08:56
Ok so I have dropped a plate from chain tensioner in the sump , is there any way to get it out without taking sump off. Thanks.

Sparkie
16-04-2013, 13:02
a big magnet is needed. just run it around the sump, then up the side and out of where the timing cover is situated.

Andy_
17-04-2013, 20:45
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I'm having the same issue. Someone has previously bent the front chassis out of the way and hammered it back (the piece below the rad). I don't want to bend it again. I've removed drivers side engine mount, don't have a hoist, so tried jacking up the gearbox (with a big trolley jack) as near to engine as possible. Didn't work.
It doesn't help that the cars on axle stands, as wheels are being powdercoated. Didn't want to jack up too far so it fell of stands!
I'm surprised the engine didnt move at all. The mount is freely moving.
Without a hoist, is there any other way to do this? (Non damaging. Got enough to weld already :)
Thanks

Ps for a second I thought about jacking up the bottom pulley drivers side, decided that would not be a good move.
Pps I'm doing this to replace oil pump.

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2013, 22:35
Undo front engine mount and stabilizer if attatched. Jack engine up with a jack on the sump. Then wedge a block of wood etc... Between the mount and the subframe and drop back down.

mike's r5
18-04-2013, 08:52
I am finding I have to take the mount off as cannot get to the bolt for the sump behind it.

SCHWARTZ
18-04-2013, 09:47
Short socket and a universal joint on an extension bar will do it.

Nad-5GTT
18-04-2013, 10:00
I've have done this job three times now, you can get to the nuts with the universal joint thingy but just be careful you don't round them off as I did on the hard to get to one's, only one was completely rounded off mind. I used an engine hoist on the third go and took the mount and bracket out the way. I also replaced all my bolts with hex socket ones from screwfix to make it easier in the future. Good luck bert