PDA

View Full Version : Lost my enthusiasm :(

LiamR
14-04-2013, 23:05
The weather perked up today so I thought it was time to start playing with the 5 again :) as I let it be for the winter.

Not a happy site when I opened the garage...............

There was gearbox fluid all over the floor. Had a little check and it looks like it has been leaking from by the passenger side driveshaft.

But worst of all, the glass has all been taken out for the upcoming respray, the garage roof has developed a leak and made the 5 wet and all the cleaned and minty interior has gone mouldy :crap: not impressed one bit........:cry:

Any hints or tips for sorting the interior would be greatly received chaps :D

Sparkie
14-04-2013, 23:11
flash liquid with febreze. :)

LiamR
14-04-2013, 23:17
Or am I being an idiot and that is just a single product?

LiamR
14-04-2013, 23:19
Answered my own question lol...

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/household_cleaning/flash_all_purpose_cleaning_liquid_cotton_fresh_wit h_febreze_1l.html

I'll give it a go. Cheers for the help :)

TNT ANDY
15-04-2013, 06:31
How did you not notice this earlier:confused:

When 'tucked up' for the winter - the 5 needs at least 1 weekly visit for reassurance and a friendly pat on the roof.

TopCat
15-04-2013, 07:40
Bad times mate :( new cv boot won't cost a lot to sort the leak out by the sounds of it.

At least it **** itself in the garage and not on the road, could have cost u a gearbox, and having mould just gives u an excuse to give it a blimmin good wash :)

scratcher
15-04-2013, 11:52
Mold usually works it's way into the fabric so a thorough shampoo and wet vac will be your best bet.
Even a steam clean to kill off any bacteria left in the seats.
Wiping them down usually leads to a bad smell coming back in the future :(

LiamR
15-04-2013, 12:02

When 'tucked up' for the winter - the 5 needs at least 1 weekly visit for reassurance and a friendly pat on the roof.

You are prob correct but I am about a third of a way through my restoration and I stopped working on it in November. Went on holiday for 3 weeks. Then early December my GF and I fostered my nephew so a lot of time has been spent decorating his room, sorting out a school blah blah so the 5 sort of got lost in the background really :(

LiamR
15-04-2013, 16:30
Bad times mate :( new cv boot won't cost a lot to sort the leak out by the sounds of it.

At least it **** itself in the garage and not on the road, could have cost u a gearbox, and having mould just gives u an excuse to give it a blimmin good wash :)

Hopefully it is just a cv boot. Like you say- easy fix if so :) I would of been quite annoyed if it had of blown my box on the road...

And like you say- a bloomin good wash is now on the cards. So it should be fine again.

LiamR
15-04-2013, 16:31
Mold usually works it's way into the fabric so a thorough shampoo and wet vac will be your best bet.
Even a steam clean to kill off any bacteria left in the seats.
Wiping them down usually leads to a bad smell coming back in the future :(

Thanks for the advice. Ill see what I can find to steam clean it then.

Mr Raider
15-04-2013, 22:48

Glad its not just me that does this Andy! :laugh: :agree:

Hope you get interior cleaned and dried out soon Liam, it was looking very minty

Sparkie
15-04-2013, 23:36
Thanks for the advice. Ill see what I can find to steam clean it then.

i think you'll find that the flash liquid will kill the bacteria. - the febreze bit just gives it a nice smell. - i recommend the orchid (pink) one.

TNT ANDY
16-04-2013, 07:47
You are prob correct but I am about a third of a way through my restoration and I stopped working on it in November. Went on holiday for 3 weeks. Then early December my GF and I fostered my nephew so a lot of time has been spent decorating his room, sorting out a school blah blah so the 5 sort of got lost in the background really :(

Tell me about it. I sometimes only manage to get a couple of hours a week on it if at all.

Keep your chin up though, a good clean out and then a few lively miles with the windows down on a nice sunny morning should sort the interior. Good job fostering, the world needs good people like you.

:agree:

fossie
16-04-2013, 09:20
For the smell use auto glym odour neutraliser mix it in with a bit of shampoo. Smells lovely

LiamR
16-04-2013, 20:54
Glad its not just me that does this Andy! :laugh: :agree:

Hope you get interior cleaned and dried out soon Liam, it was looking very minty

Cheers mate- I am sure i will get it back to its previous state :)

LiamR
16-04-2013, 20:56
i think you'll find that the flash liquid will kill the bacteria. - the febreze bit just gives it a nice smell. - i recommend the orchid (pink) one.

Went shopping today Sparkie and purchased the above :agree: (I bought the pink one lol)

Ill get out there tomorrow and attack the mould!

LiamR
16-04-2013, 20:58
Tell me about it. I sometimes only manage to get a couple of hours a week on it if at all.

Keep your chin up though, a good clean out and then a few lively miles with the windows down on a nice sunny morning should sort the interior. Good job fostering, the world needs good people like you.

:agree:

Before we fostered I used to spend complete evenings out there on the 5. Its a little harder now. But thanks for the positive comment, my gf and I are quite proud that we did do it. The assessment was tough and intrusive to say the least!

But hopefully once the year is out I will have an OE 5 in the garage. Was hoping to have it done by National Day but there is no hope now :cry:

Sparkie
16-04-2013, 21:46
Went shopping today Sparkie and purchased the above :agree: (I bought the pink one lol)

Ill get out there tomorrow and attack the mould!

i use it on all my cars that i buy and sell. - gets rid of most things.
- i also use it on the kids sick when it's on carpet. - although it usually needs two passes to get rid of that sort of smell ;)

Andy_
17-04-2013, 21:11
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I brought a mr2 with mould all over the inside a few years ago from a breakers yard.(smashed windows, left out in rain for many months). Used a pressure washer, medium hard brush (plastic bristles) and professional carpet shampoo (the stuff that goes in the Henry Hoover wet vacs). I was just having a go, I really thought I needed a new interior. More than 50% of the black interior was Greeny blue. I stripped out everything, jet washed it on the drive, scrubbed it with the carpet cleaner (just the liquid and brush, not with Hoover). Then jet washed again. It came up perfect. No mould came back. That was 3 years ago, interiors still mint.
I'm about to do it with my 5's carpet. You will be amazed how well it works.
Gets rid of rust stains, mould, everything. You will need to properly dry everything for a few days before it goes back in car.
Good luck

LiamR
19-04-2013, 16:53
i use it on all my cars that i buy and sell. - gets rid of most things.
- i also use it on the kids sick when it's on carpet. - although it usually needs two passes to get rid of that sort of smell ;)

Worked a treat :) 2 goes at it and its all gone plus my garage smells lovely now:smokin:

Cheers for the tip:agree: