PDA

View Full Version : carb problems

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 18:32
First post!

hi everyone just joined the club as i have just bought a r5 gt to relive my youth. had one when i was 18 but it was wrong from the start. i am having trouble with it running. the problem i have is that when i blip the throttle it goes to stall. if i build the revs gently it seems ok. i have just rebuilt the carb and replaced all the gaskets etc and have searched for vacuum leaks etc. any ideas? help would be appreciated.

TopCat
14-04-2013, 18:50
First post!

hi everyone just joined the club as i have just bought a r5 gt to relive my youth. had one when i was 18 but it was wrong from the start. i am having trouble with it running. the problem i have is that when i blip the throttle it goes to stall. if i build the revs gently it seems ok. i have just rebuilt the carb and replaced all the gaskets etc and have searched for vacuum leaks etc. any ideas? help would be appreciated.

Blocked air jet?

casper
14-04-2013, 18:57
Have you got an Afr gauge fitted?If so what are the afrs when this happens.Did you set the acc pump with the 5mm drill bit?Take the Carb top off and look into the Carb to make sure the acc jet is working correctly.

chris
14-04-2013, 19:11
Trying cleaning idle jet buddy

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 20:16
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

thanks for the replies. i do not have an afr gauge fitted at the mo. have checked the acc pump is working and it operates and squirts fuel into the carb when opening throttle. i have fitted a new idle jet also and cleaned the carb out when i rebuilt it. i have not set the acc pump up just put it back how it was by measuring the shaft before stripping. is it worth strippin and cleaning again do you think? not really dealt with carbs before so not that clued up on em.

Wallace
14-04-2013, 21:02
At the bottom of this thread is the info on setting the acc pump:agree:

May be of use:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 21:11

At the bottom of this thread is the info on setting the acc pump:agree:

May be of use:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=27381

ok thanks. thats great. will take the carb off tomorrow and try it. could do it in my sleep i think now. ha ha. do u think this could be the problem then? cheers

Wallace
14-04-2013, 21:15
It could be yes:agree:

also just double checking everything again, is the accelerator cable positioned correctly also?

I've had a similar problem where the cable wasn't clamped tight enough!

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 21:23

It could be yes:agree:

also just double checking everything again, is the accelerator cable positioned correctly also?

I've had a similar problem where the cable wasn't clamped tight enough!

thanks. the cable is a bit slack to be honest so will check that also. will let u know how i get on. thanks for the help. glad i joined the club. nice one.

casper
14-04-2013, 21:24
what size idle jet you got in?Also did your acc jet have the small fibre washer on it?Not sure if this would cause your problem but worth a check.

Tony Walker
14-04-2013, 21:24
Sounds like accelerator pump jet :D

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 21:37

what size idle jet you got in?Also did your acc jet have the small fibre washer on it?Not sure if this would cause your problem but worth a check.

not sure what size jets are fitted at the mo. the fibre washer is in place but when looking into the carb with the plenum off u can see the fuel going in. could do with someone having a look with me to be honest so if there is anybody nearby give me a shout. will pay of course. also anybody know where i can get a good setup or is a afr gauge best. cheers

chris
14-04-2013, 21:41
Get your AFR gauge mate from http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=89 really is best to get an AFR gauge mate its the top one on the page

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 21:46

Get your AFR gauge mate from http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=89 really is best to get an AFR gauge mate its the top one on the page

ok mate nice one. they easy to fit? 12v supply? cheers

chris
14-04-2013, 22:08
Yea live and earth mate nice straightforward worst bit is welding bung in exhaust if you can weld thats easy aswell mate

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 22:10

Yea live and earth mate nice straightforward worst bit is welding bung in exhaust if you can weld thats easy aswell mate

thats good cuz i am a fabricator. thanks alot for your help mate. nice one

chris
14-04-2013, 22:14
No problem the bloke who owns the place is scoff on here i would say 99.9% of people on here have the aem one from efi parts

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 22:23

No problem the bloke who owns the place is scoff on here i would say 99.9% of people on here have the aem one from efi parts

have heard his name flying about and also seen the vids of his 5. crazy. can the fueling be set by myself once i have the gauge fitted or does it still need to go on the rollers?

chris
14-04-2013, 22:35
You can do fueling yourself but upping the boost and fuel i think should be done on rollers because of listen for det which can destroy an engine in no time

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 22:46

You can do fueling yourself but upping the boost and fuel i think should be done on rollers because of listen for det which can destroy an engine in no time

ok. dont suppose u or anybody knows of a good spare carb for sale? cheers

chris
14-04-2013, 22:51
I dont second hand carbs can be a pain you dont know where you are gt turbo spares or cgb i would go for to be honest unless someone on here has a known good one or try r5 scotty on here he is breaking a car and he is trusted on here mate

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 23:00

I dont second hand carbs can be a pain you dont know where you are gt turbo spares or cgb i would go for to be honest unless someone on here has a known good one or try r5 scotty on here he is breaking a car and he is trusted on here mate

ok mate will do. heard of both companies. will try and sort mine first. thanks for the help mate. much appreciated.

r1ckydgt
14-04-2013, 23:01

ok mate will do. heard of both companies. will try and sort mine first. thanks for the help mate. much appreciated.

Markey Mark (BD)
15-04-2013, 16:52
Sounds like accelerator pump jet :D

:agree: Sounds likes it blocked or needs adjusting

r1ckydgt
15-04-2013, 21:22
:agree: Sounds likes it blocked or needs adjusting

yes think your right but i have tried stripping and cleaning it but no difference. after buying a decent spare carb to use for the mo and then i can try and sort mine out. cheers