PDA

View Full Version : Boost problems and now starting problems

ScottKinnear
14-04-2013, 17:00
Hi guys... More trouble for the old 5.

Okay from the beginning...,out a few weeks ago in the car fresh from a two year break and its running like a dream.

Problem 1. The waste gate clip snapped and popped off so I stuck a foot pump over the top and was able to press it back on and apply a new clip. ( I assume the car should be back to normal)

Problem 2. On the way to the Surrey meet the car suffers from what was described as carb freeze due to the extreme weather and front mouth intercooler with no mesh coverage.
When the car went through the gears the car struggled with boost when you flawed the accelarator but if you slowly feathered it down it went a treat.

Problem 2 part 2. Out today in the warmer weather to see if it was carb freeze was the problem. I placed a bit of cardboard over the fmic to reduce its size owing to the car running on the cold side. Although the car would reach 12 psi, if you flawed the peddle you would get the same problem as before...( feeling of fuel starvation). But I felt a bit more power in general.

Problem 3. The car then cuts out. I pull over to the side of the road and notice the cooling fan is on. I then try to start and it ticks over for one revolution and cuts out. I wonder if the car is to hot and the fuel is drying out so I wait 30 mins and try again. Victory the car starts but I make it 30 metres up the road before it looses power again.
I check fuel and its spewing out good style, water is good too.

I tow it home and then try to start it. It fires up and keeps going. 5 minutes later when the car warms up some what it cuts out and the problem re occurs.

It would seem it starts and stays started on a cold engine but when it gets warmer it cuts out and then fails to hold its power when the car starts again there after . Ticks over once and cuts out.

Any ideas to any of these problems?

Thanks in advance

R5MJH
14-04-2013, 19:08
have ya got a spare carb ya can try mate

ScottKinnear
14-04-2013, 19:13
No spare carb. It's the twin choke variety.

Took the top off and all seems fine in the mechanics.

When the car starts and runs on tick over it sounds sweet as a nut.

R5MJH
14-04-2013, 19:26
it does sound carb/air leak obviously this is showin itself when warm

ScottKinnear
14-04-2013, 20:47
I'm not sure bud. The carb seems pretty solid.

I was just driving and the car would seemed to be running hot ( as the fan was on when I pulled up) ( the fan usually has need to come on usually when I am driving but I don't know if it had anything to do with covering some of the fmic with card board)

And the car just cut out? The engine was under no excessive stress at the time.

How would an air leak show itself in the carb when it got warm? And why would it just not tick over still?

Thanks for your replies mate

Tony Walker
14-04-2013, 20:56
try wiggling the tdc loom and connections to aei when its cut out.

ScottKinnear
15-04-2013, 05:18
try wiggling the tdc loom and connections to aei when its cut out.

Will do :agree:

ScottKinnear
15-04-2013, 15:08
My battery is flat at the moment so engine cut out is on hold.

Atleast one thing now it doesn't start up cold now. I now need to find out if its electrical or mechanical.

On the boost problem, I've been reading through the problems and wondered if the actuator is at fault? It boosts normally slowly but fails under high loads?

Any advice on this is greatly welcomed

R5MJH
15-04-2013, 16:03
i find it hard to beleive its the actuator as ya did say you pumped it with a foot pump and it pushed the arm out??

ScottKinnear
15-04-2013, 17:29
So that means its functional I take it?

My dad rang earlier saying he remembered I bought a second hand aei unit 5 years ago when the dam car wouldn't start, but it turned out not to be that. Is it worth it swapping it over to rule it out?

ScottKinnear
21-04-2013, 11:23
Okay, so back on it... Had the fuel jets out today as the spark plugs were looking dry and there was a lot of silicone sealant trapped in one of the jets.. I'm not sure where this could of come from but I think this could be the reason for my problems.

Question is where can this stuff be coming from?

R5MJH
21-04-2013, 13:59
some people seal the top part with it personally i wouldnt put it back together and try it mate hopefully it solves the probs

ScottKinnear
22-04-2013, 19:29
some people seal the top part with it personally i wouldnt put it back together and try it mate hopefully it solves the probs

Hey mate.... Well I cleaned up the jets and took the top of the card out. I then blew into the float chamber holes and it released more of the dreaded silicone. Cleaned that up, put it together and it started.

Give it a few revs after a while and it cut out, started again and now fingers crossed its fixed.

No wonder it wasn't boosting properly if it had a fuel blockage!!!

Anyway thought I'd update you and thanks for your replies. Never no if I trust it to drive out 40 minutes I might see you at the next Surrey meet.

ScottKinnear
22-04-2013, 19:30
Oh and the silicone came from the gasket on the elbow..

R5MJH
22-04-2013, 19:49
good news mate have you got a proper o ring on the elbow mate that why the sealer got sucked in the carb then should boost well now, yeah be good to see ya there again mate

ScottKinnear
22-04-2013, 19:53
It's not that type of elbow mate. But I've double .....no triple checked it won't happen again;)

ScottKinnear
23-04-2013, 17:01
Okay... So I've got it started and it ticks over well, got it out on the road today and finally give it a bit of wellie and instantly the engine felt like it folded inside itself, it limped home sounding as rough as a skunk going no more than 5-10 mph.

I've now stripped the carb and I'm going to give it some air pressure through it to clear any other blockages.

If its not the carb and fuel at fault has anyone any other ideas?

ScottKinnear
24-04-2013, 20:24
Well put it together tonight and it ran sweet for a short journey so looking forward for the weekend blast. :))))))