PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment question

inkubus91
13-04-2013, 09:45
I just got back from wheel alignment and the guy said that the rear has too much toe, a total of 1° 13'

He said it may be related to the car height (currently sitting on -35mm lowering springs with back adjusted to suit) and that it is even on both sides. He said this could make the car want to push the back outwards when cornering fast :crap:

What do you guys think ? How does the 1° 13' total toe sound ?

Is there anything that could be done ? (I don't really think there could be anything done)

Brigsy
13-04-2013, 11:32
The rear beam cannot be adjusted so dont worry about it mate. As far as im aware not a lot changes with rideheight regarding toe at the rear. When these cars were built they only ever adjusted the toe at the front...none of the fancy stuff was needed

Tony Walker
13-04-2013, 12:49
The rear beam cannot be adjusted so dont worry about it mate. As far as im aware not a lot changes with rideheight regarding toe at the rear. When these cars were built they only ever adjusted the toe at the front...none of the fancy stuff was needed

it can be put out of alignment by worn bushes and or being whacked by something or hitting a kerb. not sure what it should be but 1 degree is alot. are your tyres wearing badly?

inkubus91
13-04-2013, 18:30
it can be put out of alignment by worn bushes and or being whacked by something or hitting a kerb. not sure what it should be but 1 degree is alot. are your tyres wearing badly?

What bushes ?

It doesn't seem it has ever been damaged, and the 1 degree is the total angle between the two wheels, so it's about half a degree on each wheel..

No it doesn't seem to do anything in particular, normal tyre wear too. I've never even really thought about it just until today.

newbstar*
13-04-2013, 18:51
I,ve had a few 5's aligned with a proper machine always out to some degree on the back. I would keep an eye on wear though and make a judgement from that.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 08:55
According to the renault bible....

inkubus91
14-04-2013, 20:12
According to the renault bible....

If the 30' is on one wheel then that's about right, but it says 'over two wheels' so I think that would be the included angle :scratch: If so, then I'm off 43'

But the included angle is pretty symmetrical, 36' on the left wheel and 37' on the right so I wouldn't imagine the axle has been damaged by exactly the same angle on both sides. Besides that, the car's previous owner had it from new and used to take really good care of the car, so I somewhat ruled out that the axle is damaged.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 20:18
Included angle is for front suspension.

Tony Walker
14-04-2013, 20:18
1 degree anything is alot of toe, on the front that would destroy tyres in a few months, i guess with the reduced weight and the lack of steering has kept tyre wear to a minimum on the back.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 20:20
Get them to check it again.......properly.:laugh:

inkubus91
14-04-2013, 21:59
I got them checked on those special wheel alignment machines with a reflector clamped to each wheel.. it seemed really professional and accurate

I used to drive the car daily and never had any issues with irregular or excessive tyre wear :confused:

Never had any issues with oversteering neither, I mean it would oversteer sometimes but I would have been pushing it hard

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 22:02
On the back of that information, then its probably fine.

Goobie
14-04-2013, 22:19
The FN2 Civic Type R have torsion bar set up on the rear, there a company that makes a camber kit that bolts on. Maybe worth looking into and getting something custom knocked up for you hardcore track boys? :)

Goobie
14-04-2013, 22:28
Here an example, bit technical, but possible.

http://www.cplracing.co.uk/products.php?productid=147

inkubus91
14-04-2013, 22:36
The FN2 Civic Type R have torsion bar set up on the rear, there a company that makes a camber kit that bolts on. Maybe worth looking into and getting something custom knocked up for you hardcore track boys? :)

yeah I've seen those type of shims before.. they go under the stub shaft, as it bolts to the axle. But the 5's stub shaft is press fit into the axle, so there's nothing that can be really done to it

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 22:44
......renault clio 16v, same beam as R5......
Anything is possible if you are crafty enough.;)

inkubus91
14-04-2013, 23:20
......renault clio 16v, same beam as R5......
Anything is possible if you are crafty enough.;)

that's just the bracket that's bolted though.. the stub shaft is still press fit

**edited**

sorry didn't notice the 'clio 16v'

...yeah, good luck finding one in Malta :laugh::wasntme::laugh:

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
14-04-2013, 23:29
that's just the bracket that's bolted though.. the stub shaft is still press fit

**edited**

sorry didn't notice the 'clio 16v'

...yeah, good luck finding one in Malta :laugh::wasntme::laugh:

Nope, more to it than that.
Look closer.

Goobie
14-04-2013, 23:40
:smokin: