PDA

View Full Version : Radiator cowling for cooling

Wallace
11-04-2013, 10:03
I didn't realise the above was fitted as standard until I'd seen StuHerts car!

What's the general view on having this fitted with regards to cooling benefits?

I would assume directing & concentrating the air flow directly to the rad would make a difference, but is it noticeable?

Dave Reed
11-04-2013, 10:24
Renault don't spend millions of pounds on testing/designing stuff for no reason buddy.. ;)

Kris M
11-04-2013, 10:26
^^^^^^ yup makes a big difference with a new / good cond rad. If your not fussed about o.e you can make the ducting from ally sheet

Wallace
11-04-2013, 11:57
Renault don't spend millions of pounds on testing/designing stuff for no reason buddy.. ;)

Well...........yeeeeah:agree: buuut:D

Wallace
11-04-2013, 12:06
It's on my list to sort out, because I'm not worried about oe and have the facilities at work to make something up.....

But as I say, anyone actually running with it?
Do the Track boys use it because it makes a lot of difference?

I suppose where I'm coming from is that the R5 has lots of standard equipment - perc fan, swirl pot, degassing etc etc and all these bits and pieces are often removed for ease of working on the car and to tidy things up, and from what I read without issue!

So going along that basis, if I knock up some cowling should I expect a measurable difference, say from top of the temp range (fan running) - back down to the typical 2\3rds 'normal temp' in a time that would suggest its even worth having!

Or even, a noticeable difference in that just cruising the overal temps stay lower!

Long winded I know, but without the phone call facility:wasntme:

Dave Reed
11-04-2013, 12:20
You won't necessarily notice a difference in temps as the stat takes care of this, but enffciency will be increased, so when driving the temps will remain more stable.

It's a big thing in the racing scene, look at any professionally built car be it drag, drift, circuit etc they always force air through the rad/intercooler by means of cowling. The thing is, is air will take the easiest route thus meaning it'll go round the rad/intercooler.

Wallace
11-04-2013, 13:01
Yeah I think stable being a very good thing, and really it's bound to make the overall 'drop' in. Temps more efficient!

I do completely get that's its a hard thing to quantify, but as with most things sometimes people swear by them! So just wonder what people's view were.

I'm gonna knock something up eventually and I'll see what I find and report back.

Cheers Dave:agree: