PDA

View Full Version : Bump Steer

scratcher
09-04-2013, 21:13
I haven't driven my 5 very much in the last few years but took it out today and the bump steer was pretty scary.
It had all new suspension, track rod ends and wheel alignment at the end of last year before the MOT. I can't remember what it was like before then so just wondered if it's normal in a GTT or if something else is up?

Kris M
09-04-2013, 21:35
Souldent be doing it really mate

Woznaldo
11-04-2013, 06:27
I haven't driven my 5 very much in the last few years but took it out today and the bump steer was pretty scary.
It had all new suspension, track rod ends and wheel alignment at the end of last year before the MOT. I can't remember what it was like before then so just wondered if it's normal in a GTT or if something else is up?

Has the car been lowered a lot? Is it running a phase 1 or 2 set up?

B18ftMOJO5
11-04-2013, 06:38
If it been parked long the rear dampers seals might have leaked.
That made mine horrible to drive. Get car up on a ramp and do a visual inspection.

olidaviesuk
11-04-2013, 08:37
Depends what you've been driving in the meantime mate, they certainly don't drive like a modern car, however, if its been stored standing on its wheels, something could be out of whack.

scratcher
11-04-2013, 13:12
Has the car been lowered a lot? Is it running a phase 1 or 2 set up?

I'm not too sure how much it's lowered by but it's not ridiculous.
All new Phase 1 dampers, top mounts, hats etc.

If it been parked long the rear dampers seals might have leaked.
That made mine horrible to drive. Get car up on a ramp and do a visual inspection.

Nothing was flagged on the MOT in December, and the rear dampers were replaced in 2008.
I'll pop it on some stands and have a look over them though :agree: cheers.

Depends what you've been driving in the meantime mate, they certainly don't drive like a modern car, however, if its been stored standing on its wheels, something could be out of whack.

I drive a 2003 Bora daily, on coilovers and it's very well planted so I did wonder if I'd just forgotten what the 5 was like on certain roads.
it does just sit on the drive for most of the year. I swapped the wheels over for the MOT so it's not the tyres having flat spots or anything :scratch:

Perhaps my old dampers were failing/tired and just made everything super soft?
I'll give it some investigation :cool:

SCHWARTZ
11-04-2013, 15:47
Does this mean you'll be at the next Surrey meet matey:D

scratcher
11-04-2013, 16:28
Haha, the roads might bounce me in that direction :)

SCHWARTZ
11-04-2013, 18:46
Good man;)

scratcher
16-04-2013, 16:55
I've had a good look around the rear dampers and all seems fine.

Driving to Ace last night I soon realized that it wasn't bump steer :ashamed: it's just really camber-sensitive. Or at least feel as though it is.