PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor clicking

TomH
27-12-2008, 11:34
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Alright chaps I was having a merry christmas until i went to start the 5 this morning, and the starter is clicking but not turning. Am i right in thinking the clicking noise is the solenoid pushing the motor out to engage with the flywheel? Or is the clicking noise the solenoid not pushing the motor out enough so it wont turn over?
I have given the little white wire contacts at the back of the starter a clean but that didnt make much difference. Do i need to clean the header tank connector or is this not a problem as i am getting a click?
This is well annoying!! I really cannot be arsed changing the starter motor
Cheers for your help
Tom

Brigsy
27-12-2008, 12:32
Sounds like the battery may be flat, or the solenoid on the starter is sticking.

Scoff
27-12-2008, 13:08
the click is usually the solenoid moving part way, or all the way but not engaging the contacts that "switch" the motor on.

to eliminate the wiring take a thick bit of wire from the battery + straight to the spade connector on the starter (with the gearbox in neutral :D) and see if it cranks over. if it does then you need to look at the wiring. if it still just clicks then it's time for a new starter, or strip it, clean the contacts up and re-grease :)

sometimes whacking the solenoid with a hammer while trying to start will get the solenoid to kick in, enough to get you going to where you need to be.

michael tierney
27-12-2008, 14:53
i,ve found (through the years)if u tap the starter body with something steel and then the starter works,what you've actually done is settled the brushes on to the comutator some and its time for an overhaul!!:crap:

Scoff
27-12-2008, 15:16
i,ve found (through the years)if u tap the starter body with something steel and then the starter works,what you've actually done is settled the brushes on to the comutator some and its time for an overhaul!!:crap:

I hadn't thought of that, good thinking :)

TNT Tricky Nicky
27-12-2008, 17:41
i found putting the car in gear and rocking it also released the mechnanism and also cleaner as you don't have to dive under the bonnet

TomH
28-12-2008, 14:13
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers for the advice, hitting the starter with a spanner actually worked haha, how long can i keep this up for before it will pack in all together? obviously a new starter is in order, I just cannot be bothered changing it in the freezing cold

paul-11turbo
28-12-2008, 19:55
mine has been like that for about a year now, i really need to get it off and give it an overhaul, but like you i cannot be arsed in this cold.