PDA

View Full Version : Coolant loss

greggtt
31-03-2013, 22:25
Just a quick question for you all , I have been loosing some coolant on and off , sounds weird I know but some times ill take the car to work , around 70 mile round trip and all will be well but now and again get a little puddle under the engine below the water pump side of the engine , I'm a mechanic and have carried out the usual checks and nothing , pressure testing system etc but no clear leaks, only thing I've noticed is looking from above water pump side at the back of the head right where the last bolt on the manifold is there is a threaded hole on the head just behind the rocker cover (facing up) it seems to be full of coolant , any of you helpfull chaps know if it is likely to be close to a water gallery and could be the problem?? I have blocked it with a bolt and sealer and will run the car tomorrow and see what happens but just thought I would ask if anybody knows of this issue or have any ideas what it might be, not loosing lots of coolant but as you know these problems just get worse with time and due to the nature of the problem it might be a cracked head and I might have to bite the bullet and start stripping the old girl down:(

Steevo
31-03-2013, 22:54
I had a similar problem where I was intermittently losing coolant and it was down to a small crack in the swirl pot, do you still have the standard plastic one on there?

michael tierney
31-03-2013, 23:08
similar prob....lower rad hose connection...hard to see,only when hot,look through wheel arch

greggtt
31-03-2013, 23:25
I had a similar problem where I was intermittently losing coolant and it was down to a small crack in the swirl pot, do you still have the standard plastic one on there?

Yeah original still there , will check that cheers

Tony Walker
31-03-2013, 23:25
what colour rad cap you have? the wrong one can release pressure now and again.
header tank cap :D

greggtt
31-03-2013, 23:26
similar prob....lower rad hose connection...hard to see,only when hot,look through wheel arch

Checked all hoses etc , but will try when hot cheers

Brigsy
01-04-2013, 10:32
Stick 15lb of pressure into the cooling system that will reveal your leak

greggtt
01-04-2013, 18:42
what colour rad cap you have? the wrong one can release pressure now and again.
header tank cap :D

Wrong Side of the engine mate ,but cheers

greggtt
01-04-2013, 18:55
[QUOTE=Brigsy;322500]Stick 15lb of pressure into the cooling system that will reveal your leak[
Ran the car today and Sod's law nothing, will leave her in the garage for a few hours and go check again ,

Looks like more pressure is the answer , ill heat her up first then stick a decent pressure tester on her and see , mine is a bit agricultural so might not be getting enough pressure in the system , but at least the water is landing on the floor and not disappearing internally (till I find out its something serious )but optimism is key , nice easy fix I hope.

Tony Walker
01-04-2013, 19:42
Wrong Side of the engine mate ,but cheers

lol sorry ive put mine drivers side lol

greggtt
01-04-2013, 20:08
lol sorry ive put mine drivers side lol

No probs , it's the thought that counts

Brigsy
01-04-2013, 20:33
Yep more pressure, 5-10 psi doesnt do much,go up to 15-20 and it will gush;)

Old header tank cap, rip guts out, fit car valve and footpump will do the trick

Tony Walker
01-04-2013, 20:51
a couple of my clips started to leak around 15+psi when i was searching for a similar leak lol.

rs250nut
01-04-2013, 20:59
Yep more pressure, 5-10 psi doesnt do much,go up to 15-20 and it will gush;)

Old header tank cap, rip guts out, fit car valve and footpump will do the trick

Pmt leading the way......... Test the coolong system to 1/2 a bar over what the system/cap is designed to operate at.

greggtt
01-04-2013, 21:48
Ill pump her up tomorrow and see what happens , cheers boys

Tony Walker
01-04-2013, 21:49
Ill pump her up tomorrow and see what happens , cheers boys

:D theres a statement for you..... make sure you wear protection... dont want it squirting in your eyes.

greggtt
01-04-2013, 21:50
Just for my own curiosity does anybody know what the little threaded hole is for that I mentioned in my first post

Brigsy
01-04-2013, 22:57
Pmt leading the way......... Test the coolong system to 1/2 a bar over what the system/cap is designed to operate at.

No messing about :D

P.s i hold no responsibility if it all goes wrong lol

greggtt
02-04-2013, 20:04
:D theres a statement for you..... make sure you wear protection... dont want it squirting in your eyes.

Just read it again :D should really check my posts before I post them!

greggtt
02-04-2013, 20:05
No messing about :D

P.s i hold no responsibility if it all goes wrong lol

Noted :D