PDA

View Full Version : hammer trick ?

LeccyBlue5
30-03-2013, 15:41
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

my starter is making a horrible crunching/grinding sound on every try on starting it.

am i right in thinking that the noise is where the starter isnt disengaging from the frlywheel anymore so the noise is created?

is it worth having a go at the starter with a hammer to try and free it up?

gardner51
30-03-2013, 15:56
People normally tap it with a hammer when it dosnt engage, just clicks.

If yours is making a horrible noise when cranking then id say a new starter is what you need,

Ellz

LeccyBlue5
30-03-2013, 15:59

People normally tap it with a hammer when it dosnt engage, just clicks.

If yours is making a horrible noise when cranking then id say a new starter is what you need,

Ellz

cheers mate, i ordered a new starter on thursday from euros and was hoping it would come today, just trying to get it started in the mean time lol.

Nad-5GTT
30-03-2013, 17:24
Just check your feed to starter from ignition isn't coming away from the spade terminal, mine did this the other day. day But it does sound like your solenoid is playing up:crap:

Tony Walker
30-03-2013, 19:08
has it allways done this or have you had it off and back on? sounds like it may be in the wrong dowel on the box/wrong bolt hole.

Ashy
30-03-2013, 23:20
sounds like it may be in the wrong dowel on the box/wrong bolt hole.

Exactly :agree:

James5
30-03-2013, 23:31
Exactly :agree:

As said to you John in the texts we have had:agree::cooter:

LeccyBlue5
31-03-2013, 10:34

no ive never had the starter off, its just recently started doing it. but have a new starter on its way so hopefully will arrive after the bank holiday weekend :)

then james can fit it for me, and sort my fecking engine ;)

James5
31-03-2013, 11:56

no ive never had the starter off, its just recently started doing it. but have a new starter on its way so hopefully will arrive after the bank holiday weekend :)

No probs happy to help:agree:

DaveL485
02-04-2013, 09:47

Sounds like the flywheel might have a worn starter ring gear. Check it before fitting your new starter.

LeccyBlue5
02-04-2013, 11:22
starter arrived but no clue so waiting to have it fitted :)

Tony Walker
02-04-2013, 12:23
Sounds like the flywheel might have a worn starter ring gear. Check it before fitting your new starter.

Definitely get them to check it :agree: