PDA

View Full Version : oil gallerys

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 08:29
Right I thought I'd start a new thread with my problem:cooter: I'm not getting oil to come through my turbo oil feed, well it's not even coming out of the block where the banjo bolt is:crap:. I'm thinking I've got some sump sealant jammed in somewhere along the gallery's, now how will I get this out? Does anyone know what holes I could blow through with compressed air. I'm going to blow through the block where the banjo sits 1st, then maybe take the rocker cover off and try there. Can I blow through any off the holes or just a few etc. Or has anyone got any other idea as to why I'm not getting oil to come up to the top. Cheers

gardner51
29-03-2013, 08:40
at the bottom of the banjo, I think their is a one way valve, this sometimes seizes and dosnt open with the oil pressure, you can un bolt that of off the block, and either take the one way valave out, or simply work the ball baring up and down with a screw driver to free it off.

Tony Walker
29-03-2013, 08:40
if you slack your oil filter and crank does oil leak out of it?
Just to check your pickup isnt blocked. then i'd say yoou probably need another block or something that will break down the silicone if thats whats in there. blowing it may only block somewhere else?

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 09:27
Just to check your pickup isnt blocked. then i'd say yoou probably need another block or something that will break down the silicone if thats whats in there. blowing it may only block somewhere else?

I've got the flow and return oil lines coming off the sandwich plate and into a bottle and oil came out the right hand side ( looking at engine from front ) as soon as I cranked it over, I could see all the Vaseline in the bottle. I've now capped that pipe. That's game over for me if I need another block, so I can't do any damage if I blow through any hole I see. It's got to be worth a go. Gardner, I've taken the banjo bolt away from the block and there's not a bean coming out the block.:cry:

Brigsy
29-03-2013, 09:44
How much oil pressure is registering on the gauge, none i assume?? Is the prv jammed on the pump.

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 10:14
How much oil pressure is registering on the gauge, none i assume?? Is the prv jammed on the pump.

I didn't check to be honest I was looking for oil to flow out. What is the prv? Is it the spring thing:ashamed: I did take the split pin out and the spring then put it back. Then with the split pin back in the spring would go up and down if pressed. I have put up a reply to a thread ( low oil pressure and smoking at idle ) there's a pic of all the crap that was in the sump, sense me thinking I've got a blockage somewhere up the top

Brigsy
29-03-2013, 10:24
Yeah thats the prv mate the bit with the spring. Id be tempted to turn the crank a little bit, prime with drill, turn again & repeat. How long did you spin the drive over on the drill for?

Edit - just seen your pic. Did you take the pump off the block when it was in bits?

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 10:41
Yeah thats the prv mate the bit with the spring. Id be tempted to turn the crank a little bit, prime with drill, turn again & repeat. How long did you spin the drive over on the drill for?

Edit - just seen your pic. Did you take the pump off the block when it was in bits?

I span it over for about 20seconds. Ye I took the pump off the block undone the four hex bolts packed I with grease then put it back on block. When I 1st cranked it over, the Vaseline came out the oil line going to the oil cooler, s it did its job, but it's not going upwards.

Brigsy
29-03-2013, 11:39
Id keep spinning it over until the cooler is full and it will eventually build up pressure. From reading your last post you had pressure before so i dare say it will be fine.

If your worried take turbo off and fire it up, that will get oil flowing.

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 12:00
I shall try that, so could having the return hose from cooler to sandwich plate open be why I'm getting no oil up the top? I've got the flow and return connected to sandwich plate but they are just hanging there as I need to fit an inline oil temp thermostat. The flow has a bolt in it now. But the return hasn't, i shall put one in there when I get time to work on it. Cheers for your help :)

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 14:48

Umm you may well be right about a new block, ive blown through as many holes as possible, and flip all oil is coming out when I use the drill in the dizzy drive. I'm only guessing that some sealant has blocked something up. But I can't think of any other reason why I wouldn't get oil up the top. Any ideas? Would starting the car be a good idea? I've spun the drill up to quite a speed. Looks like ill be sheeting her up again for another lay up.:cry:

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 21:32
Right peeps what would you lot do here then in my situation. Do I wait for a good 2nd hand engine to come along, but I'd want a uprated cam in it aswell. Do I get a empty block and transfer all my internals into it then get cam put in too, can I reuse alot of the internals? It was a bb tuning black spec engine before I of it and has covered less than 4k in the last 11 years, so postings and liners should be hunky dory. Or shall I strip my block down and see if I can get out whatever is blocking the oil coming through. Or is there anything I can do to flush through the engine. Really could do with some advice please. Or is there any other exclamation as to why I'm not getting oil up the top.

Nottswoody
29-03-2013, 21:41
If in doubt strip it out.. Iv just rebuilt my engine and I'm so glad I did now I know the ins and outs and I now know we're I stand with it.. Plus it's good fun :) crack on bud..

R5MJH
29-03-2013, 21:45
tbh mate its worth checking the oil pump and one way valve first as it might be miner why the oils not coming up

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 22:00
tbh mate its worth checking the oil pump and one way valve first as it might be miner why the oils not coming up

Pump seems fine bud, I've had it apart and it pumps the oil up to the filter and the hose to cooler but no higher, the camshaft is sitting in a pool of oil but is this from where I filled it up and its just drained down. There's no valve in there and I took the banjo bolt out and no oil coming out the hole in block:crap:

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 22:01
If in doubt strip it out.. Iv just rebuilt my engine and I'm so glad I did now I know the ins and outs and I now know we're I stand with it.. Plus it's good fun :) crack on bud..

Possible, but it's the pennies that I haven't got well now anyway:D how much has this cost you then bud

Nottswoody
29-03-2013, 22:05
Possible, but it's the pennies that I haven't got well now anyway:D how much has this cost you then bud

Is yours the c1j sorry I haven't read the whole thread. Re build can cost as little as £200- 1000+ depends how far you want to go

Nad-5GTT
29-03-2013, 22:12
Mines a c1j fella, I've followed what you've done, how much has yours cost:cooter:

Tony Walker
29-03-2013, 22:19
im not sure how the oil flows but id sugest forgetting the thermostat plate for now and plumb the cooler as it should be/ blocking the cooled oil off could be the issue? if all the oil passes through the cooler after the filter??? im not sure but this has to be tested unless you have an oil gallery schematic?

Nottswoody
29-03-2013, 22:20
Including tools needed and not including turbo I didn't get much change out of a bag of sand but don't tell the mrs :) a refresh of just your bottom end could be about 250 cams are about 140 then springs about 40 then etc etc but worth it.. Well I think it's worth it :)

Nad-5GTT
30-03-2013, 11:47
Can I take the sandwich plate off completely, and put the filter right against the block. I can't fit cooler properly at the no because I've got to get some new lines made up:rolleyes: must order a new dizzy drive after this to.

Nad-5GTT
30-03-2013, 16:58
Oh yes, ive never been so happy to see oil squirt out down my clean engine:D I've joined the outlet and inlet cooler hose together with copper pipe, span it over with drill and out she poured. Many thanks to everyone who replied with a big thumbs up:agree: to Tony & brigsy. Very happy bunny right now.

Tony Walker
30-03-2013, 19:11
no probs :D happy boosting :agree: