PDA

View Full Version : 285 Big Disc Wheel Clearance

Woznaldo
26-12-2008, 06:06
In a thread on the temp site I weighed up different brake options but seem to remember being told (by RAJ I think) that a 285 Big Disc conversion wouldn't fit under some phase 2 19 Valver 'tear drop' alloys (6.5 x 15). Can anyone shed some light on this?

Gttnutter
26-12-2008, 09:49
Yep i think he's right as the caliper will catch. A set of spacers should sort the problem though.

Woznaldo
26-12-2008, 09:53
I take it you mean wheel (offset) spacer?

J$£5GTT
26-12-2008, 11:08
if your caliper is fouling just a tiny bit an you dont want to
fiddle with spacers a small amount of metal can be took of
the caliper edge with a nice bit of grinding you wont hit
nothing;)

TNT Tricky Nicky
26-12-2008, 13:06
may also have to get the balancing weights moved if there are any fitted as these will also hit the caliper

adeel_gt
26-12-2008, 14:07
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Yep they won't fit you'll need a 10mm spacer and some longer bolts and it's still very close as it has a sort of lip on the inside or the rim and you may have to remove the balance weights too as i've done.

Woznaldo
26-12-2008, 22:04
OK, so all the above is because the 19 Valver phase 2 wheels have crap clearance?

If I was to run, say, Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 or OZ Ultraleggera in 7 x 15, would I have the same problem?

Also, what effect would 10mm spacers have on the steering and wheel bearings?

Trevhib
27-12-2008, 11:35
Hi Woz,

I'm sure the Superleggeras clear. Someone else will need to confirm though.

The 19 16v Ph2 alloys look dreadful on the 5 :dearme: so you'll be doing yourself a favour.

Given that spacers are really not the best thing to be adding to your spec, especially 10mm versions, I'd say it all points to a nice set of OZ. :)

jantheeven
27-12-2008, 16:08
Hi Woz,

I have OZ F1 Cups and those clear, so probably the Superleggeras will too. I did have to remove the wheel balancing weights and have them repositioned, as I didn't have enough clearance :wasntme:

Woznaldo
27-12-2008, 20:35
Hi Woz,

The 19 16v Ph2 alloys look dreadful on the 5 :dearme: so you'll be doing yourself a favour.

Given that spacers are really not the best thing to be adding to your spec, especially 10mm versions, I'd say it all points to a nice set of OZ. :)

Got to admit that i'm not a big fan of the wheels either, but I wanted to get some 15s on it before I came to Oz as I knew that 13" tyres would be a problem out here. All the tyres are knackered as well so, i'm going to have to dig deep if I want to get the car on the road.

Woznaldo
27-12-2008, 21:23
Heres a picture of a clearance template from the Hispec site for their 285 Billet 4 Conversion fitted to a R19 16v phase 2 wheel.

I know it's not the same as if the std caliper would be used but, it's probably a good indication. You can see that it hits the rim before it's able to sit flush on the mounting face.

Trevhib
28-12-2008, 20:49
D'oh, should have taken some Turbines with you :)

You could take that template with you to the wheel place and measure it against the Supers if there's no definitive answer on here (which there ought to be as so many folk have done it, I'm sure), assuming the outlet is local to Sydney mate. :agree: