PDA

View Full Version : first gear jumper

haizyr5gtt
25-12-2008, 20:56
my car has a habbit of jumping out of 1st gear. it was ok before i had my headgasket dun but now its dodgey, im ****ed for hill starts unless i got a mate in the car to hold it in 1st.lol.

any suggestions?

Brigsy
25-12-2008, 21:10
Check the engine mounts for wear & check the gear linkage, may need adjusting.

CJ GTT
25-12-2008, 21:57
yep have a good look first

i had the same problem,changed 1 engine mount and i was away.

:)

Trevhib
26-12-2008, 12:27
And it's worth adding that having the head removed to replace the headgasket can in no way affect the gear linkage, gearbox or anything else that could be connected to the jumping out of gear you're experiencing. Assuming the garage wasn't doing other jobs at the same time that involved other parts of the car that is.

haizyr5gtt
26-12-2008, 17:17
its gettin better with time but will look in the light tommorow. another problem has just happend. i now have no handbrake. i puld it up and it just wen straight up n now has disconected i think.

Trevhib
27-12-2008, 11:26
That surely has to be a snapped cable or a cable that's become detached. I've never replaced on so am of no help.

The handle should go back onto the teeth if you hold the button in and push it back down. I think...

haizyr5gtt
27-12-2008, 21:52
the handle is still attatched to the bar and everything its just the cable that has either come off or snapped. will get it in the air tommorow and have a look.