PDA

View Full Version : dodgey earth?

tom t
25-12-2008, 14:16
ive noticed in my 5 that when i press the brake pedal the rear foglight bulb is coming up faintley. what could the cause of this be does any1 have ne ideas?

was thinking its could be a dodgey earth?

cheers

MR TURBO
25-12-2008, 14:18
ive noticed in my 5 that when i press the brake pedal the rear foglight bulb is coming up faintley. what could the cause of this be does any1 have ne ideas?

was thinking its could be a dodgey earth?

cheers

Sounds exactly that take the rear lights out and have a look at the contacts a quick wire brushing should cure this for ya!!

tom t
25-12-2008, 14:56
awesome will go that a go soon. do you think that would effect the lights working correctly? e.g not as bright as they should be?

cheers bud

MR TURBO
25-12-2008, 15:03
awesome will go that a go soon. do you think that would effect the lights working correctly? e.g not as bright as they should be?

cheers bud

As for the lights not being as bright it is a possibility sounds like something is drawing power from your lights maybe a corroded wire around there somewhere giving a little short in the circuit remember you want metal to metal connections no foreign objects obstructing if you get me!!!!!!

tom t
25-12-2008, 16:13
okie kokie cheers m8 thats iven me another idea what it could be aswell then. i really need to clean all of my connections as i have a dodgey indicator aswell really cant be bothered tho lol its a boring job.

tom t
31-12-2008, 13:10
also where is the rear light earth located i had a little look and i couldnt really see much also do i need to take the lights of the car looks a right bugger 2 do ta

Brigsy
31-12-2008, 13:14
The earth is behind the rear lights. Easy enough to do.

tom t
31-12-2008, 13:16
kool do i have to take the light out to get to it then? cheers

tom t
31-12-2008, 14:49
cleaned the earth up and the connector for the left light that hasnt changed it. so will clean the other side connections. is there an earth that side as dont think it shows one in the haynes cheers

Tiny Tim
31-12-2008, 14:53
Does the light on the dash do the same if you press and hold both window up buttons down whilst the lights are on?

tom t
31-12-2008, 16:43
yes it does m8. :confused:

Tiny Tim
31-12-2008, 16:54
So faffing with the rear lights aint gonna help much is it :laugh:

Engine earths:

Water pump to bulkhead
Front engine loom to block (just below oil sensors)
Gearbox to suspenson leg
Battery to bulkhead

Check + clean all of them see how you get on. Renew if any of them look suspect and we'll go from there.

tom t
31-12-2008, 17:00
okie kokie m8 will give this a go over the next few days and report back.

not even sure if ive got a gearbox to suspension leg earth...

will this be messing up the battery? thanks very much

Tiny Tim
31-12-2008, 17:05
Oh, i cant remember on 5's now... there's a gearbox one on the 1 though.

tom t
31-12-2008, 17:11
cheers m8 will post back when ive had a butchers

tom t
01-01-2009, 15:28
i think thats sorted the rear fog light faintly coming on.

not sure if this is normal that when the break pedal is pressed the handbrake light dims when its applied and my clock does aswell? cheers

tom t
01-01-2009, 17:37
actually it didnt solve me problem thought it had.
and now when i press the brake pedal the rev counter flickers aswell lol.

really want to get this sorted as the wiring of the car seems to have been bodged since ive had it.

tom t
06-01-2009, 11:04
could someone please tell me where the dashboard earth is located please. thanks

Shane P
08-01-2009, 16:38
So faffing with the rear lights aint gonna help much is it :laugh:

Engine earths:

Water pump to bulkhead
Front engine loom to block (just below oil sensors)
Gearbox to suspenson leg
Battery to bulkhead

Check + clean all of them see how you get on. Renew if any of them look suspect and we'll go from there.

Does anybody have any pictures of the earth straps in situ please :)?