PDA

View Full Version : locking wheels

JRph1
10-03-2013, 16:20
if theres one thing i hate is when you get a new car and they dont have the locking wheel nut key. and to make it worse its the most awkward type with like 4 prongs that go in and it looks like someone has worn the edges away on the insert bits. you cant get a socket over the bolt as its just round. any suggestions apart from take it to a garage as the car isnt taxed at the mo. YOu cant really get to it either to weld a nut on the end as the hole is so deep :( very very annoying

TNT Tricky Nicky
10-03-2013, 16:26
Ring the seller/garage and ask where it is?

If it's the latter, take it back and get them to sort it?

Never known the socket method not to work, probably a video on YouTube which will show you how to do it

JRph1
10-03-2013, 16:34
yeah ive always used the socket method but the actual bolt has a round head no edges so the socket doesnt have anything to bite on, previous owner syas he never had it :(

car.crash
10-03-2013, 16:36
You can smash the outer ring off easily with a small chisel then smash a socket over the lot and spin it off.

Easiest way is to weld a old wheel bolt onto the locker and spin them off.

I've done both and neither is difficult.

JRph1
10-03-2013, 16:44
its hard to explain the bolt its self is round and the key that goes in it is 4 prongs ive not really seen one like it, as ive done the whole weld a bolt on and smash a socket on in the past, ill have another look tomorrow i got very frustrated with it tosay as i wanted to get the wheels swapped over :(

R5MJH
10-03-2013, 16:44
You can smash the outer ring off easily with a small chisel then smash a socket over the lot and spin it off.

Easiest way is to weld a old wheel bolt onto the locker and spin them off.

I've done both and neither is difficult.

done this in the past welded wheel bolt to locking nut always affective boss:agree: