PDA

View Full Version : Aussie

Superflysi123
09-03-2013, 04:39
Hi guys was wondering if anyone on here is down under?? Has anyone shipped their car overseas before??

car.crash
09-03-2013, 06:55
There is at least one. I think its woznaldo

TopCat
09-03-2013, 10:03
I lived there for a year or two, will be moving back in the next couple of years, and will be taking my car with me.

Good question about shipping etc. :agree:

Trevhib
09-03-2013, 13:27
Yep, Woz is down there. There is a ton of stuff to do to get a GTT legal on Aussie roads. Having completed it all, discovering the detail in the process, he would be the perfect help :agree:

greggtt
10-03-2013, 11:00
I'm currently working in OZ and going by the ads in papers etc , cars aint cheap down here so I would suspect the Aussie government would hit you with a import Tax bill for more than the cars worth , reason behind it is to stop people importing cars and selling for a profit but there might be ways around it like if you can prove you have had the car for a long time etc , but as above Woz has done it so he will know for sure, let me know how you get on anyway as some doors were opened up down here for me and might be looking to move aswell if it's worth it , and I would be taking the five if I could, but cutting around in 40c heat in a five with no aircon :cool: Toasty!!!!!!

Trevhib
10-03-2013, 11:12
Yeah, they spank imports with high taxes in an attempt to get you to buy bloody Fords and Holdens (protectionism). The muscle car element is pretty cool but generally these two marques in Aus are built like crap in my experience.

TopCat
10-03-2013, 11:25
Yeah, they spank imports with high taxes in an attempt to get you to buy bloody Fords and Holdens (protectionism). The muscle car element is pretty cool but generally these two marques in Aus are built like crap in my experience.

I had a ford falcon. Luckily I never had any problems with it. But like trev says its Holden that are popular there.

Most cars are automatic I found too

greggtt
10-03-2013, 11:34
My hire car was a auto focus but felt out of place with all the V8's roaring about , but really can't understand the whole ute thing , some look ok from the front but just don't get the appeal but I can imagine the reaction the locals would have to a gt turbo on the roads out here !!!!!!!!!:D

TopCat
10-03-2013, 11:36
My hire car was a auto focus but felt out of place with all the V8's roaring about , but really can't understand the whole ute thing , some look ok from the front but just don't get the appeal but I can imagine the reaction the locals would have to a gt turbo on the roads out here !!!!!!!!!:D

Probably laugh until they were left standing at the lights mate lol

greggtt
11-03-2013, 00:23
Probably laugh until they were left standing at the lights mate lol

Think your right , they do sound lovely though , but probably too heavy to get the best out of the engines , But the Karl Kennedy ute edition might keep the weights down (Sorry for the Neighbours quote but always remember him jumping in the ute when there was an emergency down at the surgery)

So Woz , what kind of reactions does the old girl get when out and about, apart from "what the f@#k is that!!!:D

Trevhib
11-03-2013, 10:39
Out and about? It's been on the road about twice in 8 years :D

Just kidding Woz :)

Woznaldo
11-03-2013, 11:12
Out and about? It's been on the road about twice in 8 years :D

Just kidding Woz :)

Cheeky bleeder!!! Probably not that far from the truth though. :D

Yes, I have gone through the import process and it is drawn out! There is a big rule change for cars made after 1989, which unfortunately is smack bang in the middle of the GTT build years.

Things that will make the process easier/cheaper:

- Owning the car for 12 months or more (can be brought in as a Personal Import)
- Pre '89 manufacture (less engineering compliance to be done)
- Getting an import approval in early as they can take a while (6-12 weeks)

There is a lot of excellent information posted on the Pistonheads website. link below:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=139&t=1084574&mid=0&nmt=Shipping+Cars+to+Australia+%2D+What%2C+Why+and +How+%28The+Rules%29

Once in country you will need to find a willing Compliance Engineer that will inspect the car to ensure that it complies with the Australian Design Rules for it's year of manufacture.

Mine is an '88 model and it needed side impact bars fitted! Although the Engineer found a cheeky way around this by classifying it as a 2 seat panel van with rear windows because i'd already stripped out the rear seats.

Bigfoot
11-03-2013, 11:19
Or start with one already over there :eek:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/renault-5-1990-13823223?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=0&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%204294963762%2042947 84619%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=default

And a RTOC Sticker :D

phase i 16 v turbo
11-03-2013, 15:28
Hi guys was wondering if anyone on here is down under?? Has anyone shipped their car overseas before??

Hi I have helped sort out one for someone down under.

old skool turbo power
11-03-2013, 23:36
Although the Engineer found a cheeky way around this by classifying it as a 2 seat panel van with rear windows because i'd already stripped out the rear seats.

:laugh:thats the same rules for ireland that is when you import the r26r its not classed as a car because of said reasons..............saying that your be lucky to see a renault over there :crap: part from the clios thats bout it

Superflysi123
13-03-2013, 21:22
Thanks guys, I thought it would be an arse to get it sorted. Looks like she staying in the cold back in the uk.