PDA

View Full Version : Wont start - Not a murmur

The Baron
07-03-2013, 11:31
Hi,

90% of the time Turn the key, nothing. 10% turn the key starts fine. Not battery, thought it was immobiliser, auto electrician out, not the problem. He thinks it is between the starter motor and the started motor relay.
This is not my strong point so any ideas on how to resolve this will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Baron

R5MJH
07-03-2013, 11:38
Hi,

90% of the time Turn the key, nothing. 10% turn the key starts fine. Not battery, thought it was immobiliser, auto electrician out, not the problem. He thinks it is between the starter motor and the started motor relay.
This is not my strong point so any ideas on how to resolve this will be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Baron
9 out of 10 times mate its the solenoid on the starter motor, but it can also be the trigger wire on starter, check connections ie earth on car, battery to starter thick wire and the trigger wire connections mate, if you also short the trigger with the thick wire with a screwdriver and the starter works everytime then its the trigger wire which is the problem boss

R5MJH
07-03-2013, 11:41
9 out of 10 times mate its the solenoid on the starter motor, but it can also be the trigger wire on starter, check connections ie earth on car, battery to starter thick wire and the trigger wire connections mate, if you also short the trigger with the thick wire with a screwdriver and the starter works everytime then its the trigger wire which is the problem boss

forgot to add if all connections are 100% working the starter will need changing we did ours a little while ago

gttjames
07-03-2013, 11:43
tirgger wire. Simple test with a bit of cable run a direct feed from battery + to trigger on starter and it should fire starter so be carefull.

I have this issues, had starter refurbed, new battery, still same issue, run a new trigger wire from 'connector of death' to starter, better but not perfect, so looked at igniton barrel wirring onwards, theres a load of bad wirring from ignition onwards which is causing my issues

have a look at pics
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=32133

so get wirring worted to starter and should be fine, or there is a guide on here about fitting a relay to overcome the issues aswell

LiamR
07-03-2013, 12:06
I had exactly this problem too. Car only turned over 1 in 30 odd goes.

I tested the wiring and found the fault. As said- a thick wire from battery positive to the trigger wire for the starter motor- after the connector of death.

If this works- look at the article in the articles section 'click click vroom' and get it done. Mine starts up better than ever now. Just make sure you fit the wiring and relay safely :)

The Baron
07-03-2013, 12:39
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Time to get the wire cutters out:devil:

gttjames
07-03-2013, 12:54
Yer mine was starting 1 time in 10, then changed wire from connector of death to starter and its more 1 in 5 now. When i sort the wire from ignition to connector of death i rekon itl be 99% - never going to be 100:laugh:

Brigsy
07-03-2013, 13:11
As already said just whack a 4 pin relay, new wire to the exiter on the starter, use original wire from connector of doom to trigger the relay.

The wiring will no doubt be knackered, or the immobiliser is breaking down internally