PDA

View Full Version : Wonky website?

Mart
22-12-2008, 21:19
Has rtoc been a bit temperamental today? I've been having prob's accessing a couple of other sites as well, so the prob' could be this end...

The new Bill J
22-12-2008, 21:21
It's been crapola for me as well. Time for a compression check :cry:

Scoff
22-12-2008, 21:53
I've been keeping it alive all day, I just had to do reboot No.5. When you see the "vB Database error" message it means the database server has stopped responding. The RTOC shop looses its database too. I've tried just restarting mysql to no avail, a full reboot sorts it, if only for a while.

Earlier today there were other problems too, connectivity was seemingly ok but the HDD would vanish for a few seconds then come back up. It would hang if I tried to view it, etc, and php would show a page file error to the user.

Something funny is happening server side, nothing has changed on the server for a week or so. If it continues I'll have to call the hosting company tomorrow.

J$£5GTT
22-12-2008, 21:53
tis wonky ear 2

raj
22-12-2008, 21:55
this randomly happens on here, its whinding me up:sad:

raj
22-12-2008, 22:23
:dearme:

D4WNO
22-12-2008, 22:26
You'll get over it Raj lol

raj
22-12-2008, 22:29
You'll get over it Raj lol

:cry:

:coffee:

MR TURBO
22-12-2008, 22:36
:cry:

:coffee:

HAHAHAHA
:wasntme::wasntme::wasntme:

Scoff
22-12-2008, 22:38
I've made a couple of alterations, they may not take effect until the next time it stuffs up, we'll see what happens after that.....

Mart
22-12-2008, 23:33
:agree:

raj
22-12-2008, 23:51
is it just me thats finding that the site is still randomly going down:confused: its also randomly slow! like dial up speed slow!

Scoff
22-12-2008, 23:52
is it just me thats finding that the site is still randomly going down:confused: its also randomly slow! like dial up speed slow!

your not reading what I've just written then ? :D

Scoff
23-12-2008, 16:40
By way of an update the site was down all night, totally un-reachable and totally fecked. I spent an hour on the phone this morning before work to the hosting company (I was up till 2am pissing about with the site then up again at 7am to phone them! ) who after some testing did a hard reset on the server for me, then 10 minutes later it came back up but again with errors. The slightly cock-sure tech on the phone told me that any problem must be with out site code or database, I assured him that that was bollocks and that his server wasn't much good. I told him that I saw in total 6 different error's and on top of that the FTP would randomly stop responding, that I had memory error warnings with 300mb of ram supposidly free and that I also couldn't log into the admin panel, none of which has anything to do with our site code or databases, he then agreed it must be something on the server.

This morning at 8:30 it was finally up after me kick starting the database a few times, I took a backup of the forum and managed to download it, previous backup was from last week. Around mid-day it died again, I rebooted it from work, it's been up since. It still isn't right.

We have another, better server on stand by that I'm going to have to move everything across to, which is a pure ball ache, so for one evening over the next few days I expect the site will vanish for 4 or 5 hours while I shift everything over.

RussellT
23-12-2008, 17:25
your a megastar Chris

heres something to make you laugh I bought a kit to make a LED Xmas tree from Maplins "some soldering experience required" it said. How hard could it be?

Well my ham fisted attempts has left the circuit board looking like the Somme including trying to scrape errant solder back off it. I still have to finish putting all the LED's on but if it works it will be a miracle. :ashamed:

I tried the one handed hold the wires together technique that you make look easy and I nearly flicked molton solder into my face!

I had better stick to the day job.

All the best for Xmas

PS update on Doris. Head off found 3 leaking spark plugs and a loose rotor arm. Had a 0.2mm skim and plug sockets put in. She seems to run smoother without that missfire on acceleration now.

Scoff
23-12-2008, 17:41
Lol, you'll have to upload a picture of the completed (or incompleted) tree :D

Stand well back when switching it on, eh :)

Scoff
23-12-2008, 23:26
Ooooh, is anybody there ? We're on a new server now.

MR TURBO
23-12-2008, 23:31
ooooh, Is Anybody There ?

Woo Hoo!!:wasntme::wasntme:

Scoff
23-12-2008, 23:35
It works then :cool:

It'll take a while for the DNS changes to filter through, some people might not be able to log in for a lilttle while yet.

Bigfoot
23-12-2008, 23:38
Top work Scoff :agree:

Scoff
23-12-2008, 23:42
If anyone spots anything un-toward on the website anywhere then pipe up :)

Basically, the old server has issues. it was struggling doing basic stuff. I had to shut the site down so that it worked for long enough for me to zip up and download the 2gb's worth of stuff off it, then rescue the forum database, even then it kept chucking me off and I had to start again, and again..

The only thing that will not work for those that have them are email accounts, I need Ian's help to set those back up but I think I have the vital ones working.

Sam M
23-12-2008, 23:56
Well done Chris, I know what a nightmare moving servers can be, but it seems to have propagated pretty quick. Ive just changed the DB username as pass for the admin side of the shop as it wasnt connecting, you must have setup a new user as the main configure was different, but all seems to be fine now.

Is this new server still VPS?

Big Steve - Raider
24-12-2008, 08:45
Is it me or is the RTOC clock running fast?? :confused:

RussellT
24-12-2008, 09:30
It works Scoff its nothing short of a miracle. I almost gave up but persevered and despite all the bodges such as drilling out holes I had inadvertently blobbed solder on it works. If they made the board 5% bigger it would have been so much easier to complete. I have gone through about a meter of solder wire and most of it is on the floor. Im just glad I got the 16 LED version not the deluxe 235 lamp one!

Big Steve - Raider
24-12-2008, 09:42
Well my ham fisted attempts has left the circuit board looking like the Somme including trying to scrape errant solder back off it. I still have to finish putting all the LED's on but if it works it will be a miracle. :ashamed:

From what you said earlier Russell it is a miracle :laugh:

Well done mate!! We must make an amendment to the Christmas Nativity so the three wise me bought Gold, Frankensence & an LED Christmas Tree whose soldering looks like the somme!! lol!! :D :wasntme:

c7borg
24-12-2008, 09:51
Thanks for fixing it Chris!! Oh and merry christmas :santa:

Scoff
24-12-2008, 10:53
Sam, ahh, one of the things I forgot to check :) I didn't know that the admin side had a seperate config but I should have checked to see if it worked. I think the database went over OK, I had a click around and it seems fine enough.

Something that made me grin was the notion I had to install an FTP client software on the old VPS so that I could use it through remote desktop, save me uploading the 1GB's of forum database and files area from home. I connected from one vps to the other and got in excess of 8000K/sec :D it went of the scale, it shifted 1GB in about a minute flat. The FTP software I use is about 10yrs old, it probably near had a heart attack. Would have took me hours to upload with my poxy upload speed from home.

Russ, what can I say :D

Andrew Cooke
24-12-2008, 11:10
It works Scoff its nothing short of a miracle. I almost gave up but persevered and despite all the bodges such as drilling out holes I had inadvertently blobbed solder on it works. If they made the board 5% bigger it would have been so much easier to complete. I have gone through about a meter of solder wire and most of it is on the floor. Im just glad I got the 16 LED version not the deluxe 235 lamp one!

with hands like yours it's just as well you're not a surgeon ;)

Mart
24-12-2008, 11:26
:eek: :D

Good effort Scoff, and top darts on sorting it all :)

V Man
24-12-2008, 12:44
You certainly have some skills Scoff. A bit of a technical genius!:cool:

Trevhib
24-12-2008, 13:56
Nice one Chris. Although, I don't seem to be able to log on... :wasntme:

J$£5GTT
24-12-2008, 14:33
she works you are god!!!

bill is our second god tho:D:cooter:

this site is just like an unreliable 5!!!:laugh:

:)

windy miller
24-12-2008, 16:02
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

good to see things havnt changed in the time ive been gone :laugh:
well done in sorting it tho:wasntme:

Rob@Backyardracing
24-12-2008, 16:58
Good work Scoff :).. nothing can seem to stop you.. apart from a renault gearbox ;):D

Scoff
24-12-2008, 17:55
Good work Scoff :).. nothing can seem to stop you.. apart from a renault gearbox ;):D

what renault gearbox ? ;) :D

Maka
24-12-2008, 19:44
:agree: nice one scoff

dgdogz
24-12-2008, 21:34
well in mate

was driving me bloody mad

some man
merry xmas