PDA

View Full Version : speedo....HELP

dgdogz
22-12-2008, 19:00
alryty folkssssss
not your usual ahhh my speedo doesnt work topic
coz i kno theres loadsssssssss of them
:)

i was talking to mudslinger about his SPA gauge and wether or not it would be compatible with my 5.
but theres a possibility that its a no go as he says hes not sure if it would connect to my ecu(if its even an ecu in it...not sure what else to call it)

i dont know which ecu is in my car...possibly just standard.

does anyone here kno of another solution to my problem,,,ie where i can take a speed reading??
how to do it???
where to buy it???
just anything?
id like to have an spa speedo/tacho gauge in my car for the obvious reasons and also they look cool...ive looked into dakota digi dials but there way to expensive.

any help appreciated
thanksssssssss

Adam L
22-12-2008, 19:04
You've probably got an AEM standalone setup...

markey b
22-12-2008, 19:39
before ya get abuse....

the GTT doesn't have an ECU... mud has EFI, so he does, but your carb'd one wont have, just has a renix for ignition.

you'd probably need to hook up some sort of wheel sensor, either on the driveshaft or hub, or convert the std output into something the gauge will understand, but GTT's have a strange signal that isn't really std to most gauges.

dgdogz
22-12-2008, 19:48
but theres a possibility that its a no go as he says hes not sure if it would connect to my ecu(if its even an ecu in it...not sure what else to call it)

i know i wasnt sure so there you go
hahahaha
:p

how does the sensor work ???is it a awkward/annoyin job to do?

markey b
23-12-2008, 14:46
you need a sensor that counts revolutions of the hub or driveshaft, i think there are a few options, eg. hall effect or magnetic pick up.

they count the revolutions and convert to a speed reading once you enter the wheel size etc. etc.

think you can mount onto your hub, a bit like and ABS sensor, i know TNT hammond on here make something flash for his vapour dash

Mudslinger
23-12-2008, 18:07
where does the oe rev counter get its signal from ? is it the ignition module ? im not entirely sure ?

ive got my speedo sensor on the back wheel with the magnet on the back of a wheel stud , seems to work not bad and wont be affected by wheelspin like if it was on the front .

dgdogz
23-12-2008, 18:27
can i ask were you got it mud???

Mudslinger
23-12-2008, 23:54
http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/tachometers/

dgdogz
24-12-2008, 10:52
cheers mate

i seen spa site before

i was meaning the sender on the wheel
thanks

or does it come with???

Mudslinger
24-12-2008, 12:49
come with all the bits thats needed ;) although i made a bracket to mount the speedo sensor on the back caliper, if im up in the garage over the hols ill take a pic

dgdogz
24-12-2008, 16:56
so if i ordered it from spa id get everything included
and it wld jus be a case of finding someone to fit it

????
cheers

Mudslinger
24-12-2008, 17:07
aye ;)

dgdogz
25-12-2008, 23:05