PDA

View Full Version : what if????

ady b
21-12-2008, 20:10
maybe someone else has had this happen to them,,
the water pumps knackered on the 5, a local fairly competent when it comes to the 5 garage want 130 to replace it for me, looking into it the likely hood is that they may snap a bolt or two doing this job which could mean head off etc etc, the last thing i need is a massive bill for this, but then i thought surely if they snapped a bolt then the owness is on them to repair it at their cost so would i be within my rights to say im not paying for anyhing other than the water pump in the worse case scenario?
abit long winded i know sorry :coffee:

MR TURBO
21-12-2008, 20:21
maybe someone else has had this happen to them,,
the water pumps knackered on the 5, a local fairly competent when it comes to the 5 garage want 130 to replace it for me, looking into it the likely hood is that they may snap a bolt or two doing this job which could mean head off etc etc, the last thing i need is a massive bill for this, but then i thought surely if they snapped a bolt then the owness is on them to repair it at their cost so would i be within my rights to say im not paying for anyhing other than the water pump in the worse case scenario?
abit long winded i know sorry :coffee:

Why didn't ya do it yourself it's dead easy dude!!!:confused::confused: £130 sod that

Rob@Backyardracing
21-12-2008, 20:21
No you would have to pay for the labour cost not the garage. I dont think you can turn round and say that if they break.:)

ady b
21-12-2008, 20:28
No you would have to pay for the labour cost not the garage. I dont think you can turn round and say that if they break.:)

thats what i just cant get my head around, doesnt seem right or fair tbh

Rob@Backyardracing
21-12-2008, 20:35
thats what i just cant get my head around, doesnt seem right or fair tbh

You could say same about the garage, its not there fault your 18year old Steel in to alloy bolts are corroded and they broke on removal. Its somthing that cant allways be helped. Why dont you give it a go yourself? not a bad job even if your new to it.

ady b
21-12-2008, 20:45
You could say same about the garage, its not there fault your 18year old Steel in to alloy bolts are corroded and they broke on removal. Its somthing that cant allways be helped. Why dont you give it a go yourself? not a bad job even if your new to it.

yeah i know what you mean, its just if they pre warn me that it could happen it might soften the blow abit and it kind of protects their ass,but if they phone and said this has happened i dont know that its because they went into it like a bull in a china shop,, its a grey area really,consumer rights and garages in general really,,,,, but you never know i may get lucky and they may fly off no problem, i just dont fancy trying it myself at the mo

Rob@Backyardracing
21-12-2008, 20:52
Why dont you try backing the bolts off one by one a few turns and nip back up so you know the out come of the job.. make sure you shock them off with a hard tap than just pulling on them..

ady b
21-12-2008, 20:55
Why dont you try backing the bolts off one by one a few turns and nip back up so you know the out come of the job.. make sure you shock them off with a hard tap than just pulling on them..

cheers rob :cool:,,im liking that idea ;)

Adam 005
21-12-2008, 21:02
i have never had any probems when doing water pumps.it's mainley heavey handedness that leads to bolts braking.:)

i find it some times helps to run the engine for a bit before undoing the bolts:)

MR TURBO
21-12-2008, 21:03
cheers rob :cool:,,im liking that idea ;)

If you were closer mate i'd of done it for ya just for the fun and a quick natter hope all goes well tho but you should really try these things sometime some are easier than they seem :wasntme::wasntme:

ady b
21-12-2008, 21:11
If you were closer mate i'd of done it for ya just for the fun and a quick natter hope all goes well tho but you should really try these things sometime some are easier than they seem :wasntme::wasntme:

thanks mate ;) basic servicing im fine anything more than that and i bottle it, sad really,,i should just give it a go

Rob@Backyardracing
21-12-2008, 21:14
Yes give it ago, everyone starts somewhere :)

MR TURBO
21-12-2008, 21:22
thanks mate ;) basic servicing im fine anything more than that and i bottle it, sad really,,i should just give it a go

M8 i got my hands on a haynes manual years ago and never looked back since.......Plus i aint feeling these rip off garages wid those overdumb prices!!!!

Scoff
21-12-2008, 21:28

it's totally fair, this is one of the main reasons why people don't want to work on old cars like GTT's anymore (me included!!).

another way of thinking about it: why would a garage take on the ballache of such a job knowing that an old rusty bolt is likely to fail because its old and siezed when they could take on newer cars only, make just as much money without having to worry about rusty old siezed bolts. if a bolt snaps in your cylinder head it'll most likely be because the bolt is old, siezed or rusted, probably not because they've done it wrong. if I did a job like this and it took me an extra 2hrs to get the bolt out then I'd be charging for that extra 2 hours !! You have to look at it from the business's point of view sometimes, but I agree its a bit of a grey area :)

PS, can you tell rob works on un-usual / clasic cars too :D

ady b
21-12-2008, 21:36
it's totally fair, this is one of the main reasons why people don't want to work on old cars like GTT's anymore (me included!!).

another way of thinking about it: why would a garage take on the ballache of such a job knowing that an old rusty bolt is likely to fail because its old and siezed when they could take on newer cars only, make just as much money without having to worry about rusty old siezed bolts. if a bolt snaps in your cylinder head it'll most likely be because the bolt is old, sized or rusted, probably not because they've done it wrong. if I did a job like this and it took me an extra 2hrs to get the bolt out then I'd be charging for that extra 2 hours !! You have to look at it from the business's point of view sometimes, but I agree its a bit of a grey area :)

PS, can you tell rob works on un-usual / clasic cars too :D

yeah i can totally see that point of view,and i could handle the extra two hours labour if thats what it was,,i just had visions of them quoting a days labour to take the head off drill out bolts re-fit etc,, its just easy to sometimes be alittle sceptical/weary of some garages when they turn around and say this that and the other went wrong :scratch:
ps,im loving the retro, classic mechanics though.old skool

Rob@Backyardracing
21-12-2008, 22:11
yeah i can totally see that point of view,and i could handle the extra two hours labour if thats what it was,,i just had visions of them quoting a days labour to take the head off drill out bolts re-fit etc,, its just easy to sometimes be alittle sceptical/weary of some garages when they turn around and say this that and the other went wrong :scratch:
ps,im loving the retro, classic mechanics though.old skool

Can be a pain tho classics: Im currently restoring a 924 Carrera GT which has been stored under a sheet for 15years.. :smokin:

Shane P
21-12-2008, 22:26
Can be a pain tho classics: Im currently restoring a 924 Carrera GT which has been stored under a sheet for 15years.. :smokin:

That is a lovely bit of kit :pimp:

Regarding the water pump, buy yourself a Haynes manual and have a read. As said before we all have to start somewhere and this is a very hands-on car to say the least !!

Dont pay that kind of money to have it done, i'm sure someone local could help you out if you really dont feel confident about attempting it :)

MR TURBO
21-12-2008, 22:33
That is a lovely bit of kit :pimp:

Regarding the water pump, buy yourself a Haynes manual and have a read. As said before we all have to start somewhere and this is a very hands-on car to say the least !!

Dont pay that kind of money to have it done, i'm sure someone local could help you out if you really dont feel confident about attempting it :)

There must be a member in exeter or close by that could give ady a hand before he forks out that unforgivable amount of money xmas spirit and all that.....Haynes all the way they only cost about £20 at motor stores you'd be suprised how much u will save after your purchase!!!!

Shane P
21-12-2008, 22:40
There are many members in the South West (me included) who i'm sure would be happy to lend a hand. I would gladly fit it for you no cost.

You could also PM your Area Rep for help if they still exist?

MR TURBO
21-12-2008, 22:43
There are many members in the South West (me included) who i'm sure would be happy to lend a hand. I would gladly fit it for you no cost.

You could also PM your Area Rep for help if they still exist?

Thats the spirit :santa::santa::santa: lol!!!!
There ya go ady save some dosh!!!!i'm sure u can find better uses for that nicker in these bleek times :wasntme::wasntme:

car.crash
21-12-2008, 23:15
im not trying to put a downer on the situation but just make sure you have some way of transporting the car to the garage should a waterpump bolt snap in the head if your not capable of repairing it yourself.

Alastair
23-12-2008, 11:34
Your not too far from me mate, if you can bring it down to me (if she runs ok) and I'll show you the ropes, and I have all the tools in the garage should the worst happen, I'm not around much till new year but the offer is there if you need it...