PDA

View Full Version : door pins

casper
10-02-2013, 10:39
Iv had a search and there's loads of information but still unsure of which way to do it.
1.Just replace the pins.
2.replace pins and put some shim round them.
3.Change to torx pins.
4.Drill hinges and sleave.
mmm:confused:

Junglist
10-02-2013, 11:15
I drilled hinges out to a bigger bore then fitted bigger pins. Didn't take long at all you will need a right angle drill attachment

Fishey
10-02-2013, 11:20
I've just done mine, the doors were off for painting so I got a right angled drill and drilled the holes in the door and the body out to 8mm and fitted larger pins.
This might cause me a problem next time they wear as there won't be much metal left but that won't be for along time! The originals have lasted 24years with lots of use, I certainly won't be using it that much so they will probably last longer than the car!

phase i 16 v turbo
10-02-2013, 11:51
I've just done mine, the doors were off for painting so I got a right angled drill and drilled the holes in the door and the body out to 8mm and fitted larger pins.
This might cause me a problem next time they wear as there won't be much metal left but that won't be for along time! The originals have lasted 24years with lots of use, I certainly won't be using it that much so they will probably last longer than the car!

Works well :agree:

casper
10-02-2013, 12:29
So no sleaving then?just drill to 8mm and fit 8mm pins.?Have you got these Mike.

LiamR
10-02-2013, 17:01
So no sleaving then?just drill to 8mm and fit 8mm pins.?Have you got these Mike.

Ditto.

May as well do this before my respray as my doors are a little loose.....

Fishey
10-02-2013, 18:27
Yea I got my pins from mike and yea all is good!:agree:

gttjames
10-02-2013, 20:06
sweet il be doing this aswell, usefull post

casper
13-02-2013, 09:06
So is it a door off job and drill the two bits separately? Or leave the door inplace and drill together?
2.I'm also doing my outer window seals so any advice would be great,I'm assuming the wing mirrors have to come off and the window fully down,I'm sure I read somewhere to start in the top corner?
3.Since I have taken my door cards off the electric windows have developed a fault,when I press the button the motor seams to work for a second or two before the window moves.Thanks for any input:agree:

Thundercat
13-02-2013, 10:27
I found ebay sell some 7mm stainless pins, gives you the chance to redrill again to 8mm next time.

Nottswoody
13-02-2013, 11:18
I found ebay sell some 7mm stainless pins, gives you the chance to redrill again to 8mm next time.

would these work for mine?

casper
13-02-2013, 11:26
[QUOTE=Thundercat;314638]I found ebay sell some 7mm stainless pins, gives you the chance to redrill again to 8mm next time.[
Thought the oe size was 7mm.
Can someone recommend a right angled drill attachment that allows me to get inline with the hinges,from what iv read some don't allow this.

Robbo
13-02-2013, 11:29
i just fitted new roll pins and it cured the problem, banged the old ones out and new ones in

casper
13-02-2013, 11:30
i just fitted new roll pins and it cured the problem, banged the old ones out and new ones in

Ok time to own up,it wasn't me.:)

gttjames
17-02-2013, 19:17
looked at my doors today. N/s strangely has more movement - iv seen worse, but its enough to feel if you open the door and wiggle it up and down, a couple mm of movement, drivers side not as bad but a little bit of movement. Iv took doors off now, shall I just fit new pins and accept abit of movement? All the pins are 6mm - so standard I assume.

If I buy the 7mm door pins like suggested above off ebay (cant find them by the way) is this best option?

Or what about this kit from bob, or I could even get from mike
http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/door-hinge-pins-torx-head-inc-brass-inserts-pair-584-p.asp

If we are drilling door fittings out, does that mean we have to re tap the thread? Or do you just drill everything but the threaded bit?

cheers for any info

casper
17-02-2013, 19:31
I thought the oe pins were 7mm.Iv got oversized 8mm but I'm going to try and replace with oe ones first and see what that's like before drilling.

gttjames
17-02-2013, 19:37
I thought the oe pins were 7mm.Iv got oversized 8mm but I'm going to try and replace with oe ones first and see what that's like before drilling.

well the ones iv removed from my car I used my vernier on the pin bit = 6mm

casper
17-02-2013, 19:50
They will have compressed a little if they hav:agree:e been in a while.

gttjames
19-02-2013, 13:58
Do you just drill all the bits except the threaded part then?

casper
19-02-2013, 15:28
Do you just drill all the bits except the threaded part then?

Mine are the roll pin type so no thread.I'm assuming yours are the torx type.

Woznaldo
21-02-2013, 02:09
I've just pulled my passenger door off and measured my OE hinge hole at 6.83mm. Which will probably be very close to 7.00mm once the corrosion is cleaned up.

I want to convert to the newer Torx style pins to make it easier to pull the door off again later on. Why? It will make things like roll cage fitment and modification a lot easier when the time comes.

gttjames
21-02-2013, 09:56
mine are the later torx bits to save any confusion

gttjames
28-02-2013, 20:30
Got some new door torx pins here from a clio, guess there the same part number nad there also 6mm. Also removed my other door and that had new door pins 2.5years ago (done 500miles since lol) so door pins not worna nd there also 6mm.

Strangley my passenger door/chassis holes for pins are worn more than the drivers, i think a new set of standard torx pins will sort my drivers door out, but passenger needs bigger pins or sleeves even