PDA

View Full Version : Possible events, have your say

Pages : 1 [2]

Ian S
10-02-2013, 00:11
A year or so ago.

Personally I wanted to carry on with Friday Pod days because I knew it was popular with a core of the club.

No one wanted to organise it and anyway the losses had become too high.

The committee had a vote on it, a poll IIRC, and about four people at the time wanted a Pod day, AS WELL as track, and the others no, just track.

Then I phoned Miller and he had what seemed like a solution, to see if we could book 40 out of the 100 limit on a test and tune day. They don't have limited runs do they? That's the whole point of it being limited to 100 runners.

So, no risk to the club if it rains. Minimal losses. No need to organise anything (so we thought!)

There was a Sunday one in September. Pod said Yes to 40 tickets.

All seemed good.

But Pod made a mess. The didn't reserve the 40 places, apparently they thought we wouldn't turn up, or something, and didn't want to lose money. Which wasn't far off!

No mention of the VW day.

And so we expected the people who are so vocal in this thread and other previous thread would be happy and go there. Apart from 9, they didn't.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 00:15
If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).Central command, in the form of Rach, used to make that happen. A lot of people think it happens on it's own.

Run what ya brung's are a bit crap these days aren't they? With endless queues and crap track and not getting many runs in?

But maybe now this year with some new keen committee members those events will happen again. :)

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 00:17
If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).

Perhaps that's what will happen.. But the same could be said for all events??? If you want to go you go, least that way the club will never lose on an event.. We also may as well drop the joining fee and have no committee just someone to run the web site?

Mart
10-02-2013, 00:17
Central command, in the form of Rach, used to make that happen. A lot of people think it happens on it's own.

Maybe now this year with some new keen committee members those things will happen again. :)

:agree:

Ps, I organised a few as well ;)

Ian S
10-02-2013, 00:18
drop the joining feeNo fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 00:19
Ps, I organised a few as well ;)Well done to you :) Why did you stop?

philr5t
10-02-2013, 00:20
Perhaps that's what will happen.. But the same could be said for all events??? If you want to go you go, least that way the club will never lose on an event.. We also may as well drop the joining fee and have no committee just someone to run the web site?

:agree: took the words right out of my mouth

philr5t
10-02-2013, 00:21
Well done to you :) Why did you stop?

:agree: :)

rs250nut
10-02-2013, 00:23
I still dont think it would be too bad if we joined forces with another small car club for the pod day, rwyb days are ok but sitting in the fire up road for hours on end is not fun.

Mart
10-02-2013, 00:25

The difference being, it doesn't cost anything to latch onto one of the rwyb days, apart from the normal entry/running fee.

To hire the place exclusively will cost loads, in the same way Blyton does, except, as has been repeatedly said, the coffers aren't money-laden enough to cover the costs of 2 such events in a year.

If Blyton/ND is a done deal, which it is, then there won't be an exclusive rtoc-only day at Pod this year. End of. Hence saying that if people want an event/meet-up there, then simply organise a get-together on the back of one the rwyb events.

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 00:27
No fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.

That's why I said someone to run the web site as I know it's not free.. And when I said drop the joining fee I meant to a fiver or similar.. Besides it was a bombastic response to the previous answer, not a must do or solution ;)

Mart
10-02-2013, 00:27
Well done to you :) Why did you stop?

Ha, I wasn't after recognition! :D It stopped because people, in the majority, got bored of going to Pod, trackdays were the new kid on the block, hence my attention turned to them.

chris
10-02-2013, 00:29
:agree: took the words right out of my mouth
drop the joining fee and how does the club generate income do you realise no one gets payed on the commitee? does the website run its self or should you pay someone to run it but you have dropped the joining fee what will you pay them with. come on lads your just being ridiculous at end of the day it should of probably been posted up "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MAIN EVENT THIS YEAR WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO BE" but it wasn't and here we are lets get over it and move on

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 00:30
The difference being, it doesn't cost anything to latch onto one of the rwyb days, apart from the normal entry/running fee.

To hire the place exclusively will cost loads, in the same way Blyton does, except, as has been repeatedly said, the coffers aren't money-laden enough to cover the costs of 2 such events in a year.

If Blyton/ND is a done deal, which it is, then there won't be an exclusive rtoc-only day at Pod this year. End of. Hence saying that if people want an event/meet-up there, then simply organise a get-together on the back of one the rwyb events.

My point exactly, it also doesn't cost anything to latch onto someone else's track day either....... And so your point is what?

I also fully understand that Blyton is a done deal, I haven't said otherwise :D

turbo ted
10-02-2013, 00:35
if the poll was still running for frog of pod how manys votes would it have now before the committe took it down:rolleyes:

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 00:36
drop the joining fee and how does the club generate income do you realise no one gets payed on the commitee? does the website run its self or should you pay someone to run it but you have dropped the joining fee what will you pay them with. come on lads your just being ridiculous at end of the day it should of probably been posted up "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MAIN EVENT THIS YEAR WHAT DO YOU WANT IT TO BE" but it wasn't and here we are lets get over it and move on

Chris it was a tongue in cheek remake I made... We all know nothing can be done about it at this stage... (At least we know for next year)

The fact of the matter is that most of the people on here either like track days or oe. I myself like any kind of motor sport, however I build my cars to be a quick as I can afford, unfortunately that often means they wouldn't last a track day lol..

chris
10-02-2013, 00:39
if the poll was still running for frog of pod how manys votes would it have now before the committe took it down:rolleyes:

I think you and i both know it would be winning :) but can you think of any possible way we can sort this mate?

chris
10-02-2013, 00:41
Chris it was a tongue in cheek remake I made... We all know nothing can be done about it at this stage... (At least we know for next year)

The fact of the matter is that most of the people on here either like track days or oe. I myself like any kind of motor sport, however I build my cars to be a quick as I can afford, unfortunately that often means they wouldn't last a track day lol..

i see its very difficult to gauge when its in text form.. so what can we do dave to try and patch things up for everyone

Mart
10-02-2013, 00:42
And so your point is what?

Touché.

I'm well aware the same can be said for latching onto trackdays. I'm offering a solution as to how to have an rtoc event as such at Pod, that doesn't cost (the club) extra, albeit it won't be as exclusive as some would like.

Ashy
10-02-2013, 00:43
Members have been spoilt with two heavily subsidised events over the years.

We seem to be arguing about a non issue.

As has been said we can't have a weekend slot at POD anymore, we lost it when we stopped going in 2005.

Look at the numbers, only 9 tickets sold to members at last years tag on event.

We are only a small club, we can't do everything, if we don't make a return on the main event then ND will end up being every two years!

Another thread, started for all the right reasons with the best intentions, explodes in our faces. And people wonder why no one puts themselves out for the club anymore.... :disagree:

philr5t
10-02-2013, 00:53
I will gladly make phone calls on Monday to try and help organise a day at pod different to last years meet and I also remember dave reed mentioning a few pages ago a day at north Weald did anyone from the commitee look into it at all what the costs would be as I will happily ring them to on Monday

Ian S
10-02-2013, 00:54
if the poll was still running for frog of pod how manys votes would it have now before the committe took it down:rolleyes:It's irrelevant unless at least 70 people buy a track ticket.

70 at £70 = £4900.

Will they?

If someone can make them then we might be able do it if Pod agree. But no-one can make sure that many tickets sell. Seems we last lost about £2500 to please only 50 people.

At the track day more was lost but more people were pleased especially as we paid for their RR as well.

If only 50 people buy tickets to this years Blyton day then the RTOC will lose a lot more than if only 50 tickets sell at the Pod. I guess that's worth thinking about.

Unless it rains at the Pod and we make a near total loss. People still lap in the wet.

Mart
10-02-2013, 00:58
I will gladly make phone calls on Monday to try and help organise a day at pod different to last years meet and I also remember dave reed mentioning a few pages ago a day at north Weald did anyone from the commitee look into it at all what the costs would be as I will happily ring them to on Monday

Good on ya, Phil :agree:

chris
10-02-2013, 00:59

yes mate i spoke to pod today and the north weald i was going to do we have a show we are sorting at pod aswell the retro show people seemed pleased.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 01:04
If the club has a stand at the North Weald thing then I can bring the whole of the Ilford membership with me. :) (That's only me though :( And I have a Fiat and it doesn't even have a turbo. Halcyon days with 5 or 6 5GTT's meeting outside my house are in a bygone era :( )

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:05
i see its very difficult to gauge when its in text form.. so what can we do dave to try and patch things up for everyone

I don't think you need to do anything Chris, you and your fellow helpers have done what you all thought was best and what brings in more numbers etc (or whatever the reasons).. And quite frankly it's tough lol... We're all grown men/women.. I think people are just expressing that they feel they've been a little cheated (possibly) but no one runs something at a loss, as it won't last forever..

Perhaps as has been said alternate it each year, I don't personally think numbers would ever be that great with 2 major events every year (in the current financial climate anyway).

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:09
Touché.

I'm well aware the same can be said for latching onto trackdays. I'm offering a solution as to how to have an rtoc event as such at Pod, that doesn't cost (the club) extra, albeit it won't be as exclusive as some would like.

Haha no touché here fella.... Just pointing out your pointless remark that you can't justify ;) :cooter:

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:10
If the club has a stand at the North Weald thing then I can bring the whole of the Ilford membership with me. :) (That's only me though :( And I have a Fiat and it doesn't even have a turbo. Halcyon days with 5 or 6 5GTT's meeting outside my house are in a bygone era :( )

So my post about north Weald wasn't invisible after all haha (that's a joke btw)..

philr5t
10-02-2013, 01:11
It's irrelevant unless at least 70 people buy a track ticket.

70 at £70 = £4900.

Will they?

If someone can make them then we might be able do it if Pod agree. But no-one can make sure that many tickets sell. Seems we last lost about £2500 to please only 50 people.

At the track day more was lost but more people were pleased especially as we paid for their RR as well.

If only 50 people buy tickets to this years Blyton day then the RTOC will lose a lot more than if only 50 tickets sell at the Pod. I guess that's worth thinking about.

Unless it rains at the Pod and we make a near total loss. People still lap in the wet.

I can see where your coming from Ian but a couple of things I'm not to shaw on is when we talk about the pod weekend is to expensive are you meaning booking Santa pod for the whole weekend or do you mean just for the exclusive track use on the Friday day then the camping Friday night and another thing for next year is there a suitable track out there apart from blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day back on for next year rather than spending a small fortune but at the same time being able to fit both events in at different times of the year if that makes sense :)

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:12
Anyway onwards n upwards....

Is there no events that we can hire where they have a time attack and drag racing??? Best of both worlds IMO (o and not this year, obviously).

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:16
I can see where your coming from Ian but a couple of things I'm not to shaw on is when we talk about the pod weekend is to expensive are you meaning booking Santa pod for the whole weekend or do you mean just for the exclusive track use on the Friday day then the camping Friday night and another thing for next year is there a suitable track out there apart from blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day back on for next year rather than spending a small fortune but at the same time being able to fit both events in at different times of the year if that makes sense :)

Phil, I think we'd be better of picking a test n tune day, put the info up and whoever goes, goes?

chris
10-02-2013, 01:17
Anyway onwards n upwards....

Is there no events that we can hire where they have a time attack and drag racing??? Best of both worlds IMO (o and not this year, obviously).
if only that would solve everything:laugh: was it trax that used to have a trackday and a 0-60 test not a 1/4 mile i know but getting closer:laugh:

Mart
10-02-2013, 01:19
Haha no touché here fella.... Just pointing out your pointless remark that you can't justify ;) :cooter:

Which pointless remark was that?

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:26
Which pointless remark was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart
If people are that worried about missing out on Pod, why doesn't someone organise an rtoc get-together at one of this year's many rwyb days? (like we used to have regularly years back).

:rolleyes:

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:31
if only that would solve everything:laugh: was it trax that used to have a trackday and a 0-60 test not a 1/4 mile i know but getting closer:laugh:

It's a shame as it would make for an awesome event I reckon.. Haha a bit closer...

Mart
10-02-2013, 01:35
Valid comment, no?

Some of those old rwyb events/meet-ups yielded a great turn-out for the club, with tuners (Ktec, BB, EP) involved too.

Would be great to have those type of meets there again, but if it's now deemed pointless, then fair enough.

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 01:47
Valid comment, no?

Some of those old rwyb events/meet-ups yielded a great turn-out for the club, with tuners (Ktec, BB, EP) involved too.

Would be great to have those type of meets there again, but if it's now deemed pointless, then fair enough.

I don't want this to turn into a keyboard warrior match, it's not constructive, so we'll leave it at that I think..

Mart
10-02-2013, 01:59
You what? :confused: :laugh:

I'm turning it into nothing, and I'm not sure why/how you think this is an argument or a dig at anyone, unless you've misread my previous posts?

It was a genuine thought/idea regarding a meet-up at a rwyb event at Pod, hence why I didn't understand your pointless remark comment.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 02:27
when we talk about the pod is to expensive .....blyton at a lower cost that the track boys will enjoy to help put the Friday pod day Just talking about Friday at the Pod.

We already asked Blyton if they had a 1/4 mile when we first looked at it. Not that they can use at the same time, perhaps day, as lapping. So no then.

Blyton would appear to be the lowest cost for somewhere near the Midlands anyway.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 02:28
Phil, I think we'd be better of picking a test n tune day, put the info up and whoever goes, goes?That doesn't promote the club at all. We need a club presence at events to show other people the club exists.

We need organised and well and repeatedly advertised and talked about events to get more than a couple of people anywhere at the same time.

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 08:24
You what? :confused: :laugh:

I'm turning it into nothing, and I'm not sure why/how you think this is an argument or a dig at anyone, unless you've misread my previous posts?

It was a genuine thought/idea regarding a meet-up at a rwyb event at Pod, hence why I didn't understand your pointless remark comment.

That's fine then, perhaps I misread your post as to me it sounded like you were saying you'll have to sort one yourself, which isn't really part of the club??

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 08:25
That doesn't promote the club at all. We need a club presence at events to show other people the club exists.

We need organised and well and repeatedly advertised and talked about events to get more than a couple of people anywhere at the same time.

So there is going to be a rtoc organised pod day then :confused:

Mart
10-02-2013, 09:00
That's fine then, perhaps I misread your post as to me it sounded like you were saying you'll have to sort one yourself, which isn't really part of the club??

You obviously did - 'Yourself' was meant in the generic term. You'll also note I said elsewhere 'why doesn't someone organise...', be it that someone be anyone from the Committee, the Events guys, or any rtoc members.

Whoever organises it, means zilch really - It'll still be a club event; just one that might or might not be funded from the coffers.

I'm so glad I've wasted christ knows how many minutes typing all these posts, trying to explain the fecking obvious... :rolleyes: :dearme:

clee
10-02-2013, 09:16
I'm saying nothing ;)

Some people are either deaf or just hard of thinking .
There is not enough support of any of these events to sustain them .If members don't buy the tickets that surely says something .
All very well saying ' if we build it they will come ' but the stark reality is they don't .
I would suggest a non refundable deposit for any future BIG events payable a good 6 months in advance :coffee:
Then perhaps all the ' me mums friends cats had a funny turn and fallen of her lap so I can't come ,gutted ' type stuff can be avoided :p

car.crash
10-02-2013, 09:20
I'm saying nothing ;)

Some people are either deaf or just hard of thinking .
There is not enough support of any of these events to sustain them .If members don't buy the tickets that surely says something .
All very well saying ' if we build it they will come ' but the stark reality is they don't .
I would suggest a non refundable deposit for any future BIG events payable a good 6 months in advance :coffee:
Then perhaps all the ' me mums friends cats had a funny turn and fallen of her lap so I can't come ,gutted ' type stuff can be avoided :p

Fantastic idea. Minimum 50% aswell.

Ashy
10-02-2013, 09:57

You only need to look at the list of names v's turn out for the rr day at scoffs! The RTOC rule of 3 strikes again and that was just £30!

Alex
10-02-2013, 10:05
Impossible! :rolleyes:

We can't have a Pod day and a ND as the club doesn't have the funds to take the hit if/when next to no one turns up at Pod.

We had a vote and people were mostly in favour of holding the ND at Blyton again.

Why can't people that want a Pod day organise something locally between them, using the area reps? Perhaps tag along with a test day it something?

Can we alternate ND between Blyton and Pod? Or is Pod too expensive to hire full stop now? The days of having 2 big events a year are gone guys :(

I tell you one thing, if ND this year doesn't do well then we might not have one at all in 2014..... :coffee:

turbo ted
10-02-2013, 10:15
why do drag racers have to tag onto back of another event its all one sided its all track or nothing as far i can see

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2013, 10:22
why do drag racers have to tag onto back of another event its all one sided its all track or nothing as far i can see

It does feel it sometimes mate :crap:

From all this it doesn't look like a day at a drag strip is going to happen this year, tagging along to either a show or a rwyb are not the best ideas for people wanting to run and do well, for spectating yes they may be better but for us who want to run the track prep isn't the best and the que's are to long

For me i'll be attending a few test and tune days this year, if anyone wants to tag along with me more than welcome to ;)

Ashy
10-02-2013, 10:24
Can we alternate ND between Blyton and Pod? Or is Pod too expensive to hire full stop now? The days of having 2 big events a year are gone guys :(

For fear of repeating myself again...

WE COULDN'T BOOK POD ON A WEEKEND, EVEN IF WE WANTED TO

so wound members be happy with ND being on a weekday....?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 10:24
No fee, no website. It's not for free. And do you mean pay someone to run it? We don't really have anyone to run it now. I do my best to keep it ticking over, as do a few others. Scoff helps when he can, especially when it's gone critical and a meltdown is about to happen that no-one else can prevent.

So I'm guessing a Facebook page where people can exchange information, buy and sell bits etc is good for a club and its forum:scratch:

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2013, 10:29
I don't think this has anything to do with a day at the drag strip being a Nat Day, this is just a debate about why drag strip events are always forgot about over track days from what I see

clee
10-02-2013, 10:35
They aren't .
We have had a track based Nat day for the past few years ,before that it was all Pod or Brunt ?
What do the Track boys do for the rest of the year ? They tag along to other events .
It does boil down to NAT Day being one or the other because

THE CLUB CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO DO BOTH AS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SUPPORT FROM THE MEMBERSHIP

Ashy
10-02-2013, 10:40
Before anyone jumps on my back I was one of the committee that Ian referred to as wanting a Friday POD day last year but I was in the minority. I loved the POD days but had to concede that the numbers just DON'T stack up....

Look at Malory a few years back, it would of been a disaster if non members hadn't bought tickets - but members complained there were too many non Renos on track.

The test and tune day that miller arranged was on the face of it a low risk option with only 40 tickets purchased - but again the RTOC members only managed 9 tickets.

As Alex says there may not even be a ND14 if we carry on in this vein. Who's going to arrange it? Due to the way the members make demands on the committee there's not going to be any left shortly, Millar, Stu, Dawn, Clee and now Steve.... The new guys are getting a baptism of fire too!

Dave, Phil, Ted - perhaps the way forward is to speak to POD see what your options are, test and tune / rwyb tag along, exclusive day or a.n.other? Then put a thread up gauging interest from the members and put a justification forward to the committee. If it can be justified as a small loss / break even then the club may be able to support you in terms of buying tickets upfront, advertising etc...

Perhaps that's the best way to handle all events in future.

Alex
10-02-2013, 10:40
You can't call it one sided when we had a vote! :)

No one said you HAVE to tag along with another event but financially I can't see any other way you could do it these days?

Yes it's been said we can't book Pod over a weekend - I hear that. Is there no movement on this at all? Even if it was ND? Still way too small I guess? We used to have ND there and it always seemed popular.

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 10:41
You obviously did - 'Yourself' was meant in the generic term. You'll also note I said elsewhere 'why doesn't someone organise...', be it that someone be anyone from the Committee, the Events guys, or any rtoc members.

Whoever organises it, means zilch really - It'll still be a club event; just one that might or might not be funded from the coffers.

I'm so glad I've wasted christ knows how many minutes typing all these posts, trying to explain the fecking obvious... :rolleyes: :dearme:

Well I am very sorry to have waisted your precious time...

I'm pretty sure I said further up lets not get into a keyboard warrior match?? But still you continue! There was no need to mention about organising one, as to me that's just obvious, no? (That's why I said it was pointless).

And low and behold I said to Phil let's just organise our own and Ian had stepped up and said it'll do nothing to promote the club! (Which btw was my other point abut the pointless post you made)

:dearme:

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2013, 10:41
I'm having no part in this anymore

Ashy
10-02-2013, 10:44
Dave, Phil, Ted - perhaps the way forward is to speak to POD see what your options are, test and tune / rwyb tag along, exclusive day or a.n.other? Then put a thread up gauging interest from the members and put a justification forward to the committee. If it can be justified as a small loss / break even then the club may be able to support you in terms of buying tickets upfront, advertising etc...

Perhaps that's the best way to handle all events in future.

Marky, maybe you could help with the above?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 10:44
They aren't .
We have had a track based Nat day for the past few years ,before that it was all Pod or Brunt ?
What do the Track boys do for the rest of the year ? They tag along to other events .
It does boil down to NAT Day being one or the other because

THE CLUB CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO DO BOTH AS THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SUPPORT FROM THE MEMBERSHIP

If national day was at a certain place where there was enough space and REAL help/manpower, there surely is the opportunity to have a track layout in the morning and a drag lane in the afternoon? Or am I just on drugs again.....

Dave Reed
10-02-2013, 10:54
I'm having no part in this anymore

Yep I'm out too....

It's all sorted what's happening now so ill do what I always do and go to my own events, simples.

clee
10-02-2013, 11:01
Depends what type of day it is ,funday or hardcore track/strip .
The whole point regards Pod is it's a full prep track etc and you get loads of runs .
There is a way and we've done it with RAOC with only 10 or so members chipping in ....It probably won't please the ' Professional Racers ' in either camp though but tbh they are in the minority and perhaps a less intimidating event would bring more of the less vocal members in :coffee:

Bruntingthorpe ......We split the day ....Drag, 2 mile top speed runs etc 0-60 in the morning then full track in the afternoon .We have struggled to fill this of late so not happened but .......RAOC have MSA recognition ( something I suggested we apply for ages ago ) and I'm sure Between the two clubs a Bigger better Renault Turbo event could be organised .
I'd be quite happy to try and pull that together for 2014

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 11:07
Nice one clee, I personally don't have a problem with joining up with other renault based clubs if it gauruntees a good event, plus nice to see something other than just renault 5 gtts.

Ashy
10-02-2013, 11:09
Yep I'm out too....

It's all sorted what's happening now so ill do what I always do and go to my own events, simples.

Funny that, the committee get battered from all angles every year about these events, after spending large amounts of their own time to organise, and are just expected to take it without getting p!ssed off.

You guys get a constructive response to your questions and because its not what you want to hear you throw your toys out the pram.

Grow up FFS :disagree:

Mart
10-02-2013, 11:11
Well I am very sorry to have waisted your precious time...

I'm pretty sure I said further up lets not get into a keyboard warrior match?? But still you continue! There was no need to mention about organising one, as to me that's just obvious, no? (That's why I said it was pointless).

And low and behold I said to Phil let's just organise our own and Ian had stepped up and said it'll do nothing to promote the club! (Which btw was my other point abut the pointless post you made)

:dearme:

It's a discussion, not a kb warrior match. Have I posted anything argumentative to say otherwise? Maybe calling people's posts 'pointless' when they're simply trying to help might not help matters eh?

clee
10-02-2013, 11:14
Nice one clee, I personally don't have a problem with joining up with other renault based clubs if it garuntees a good event, plus nice to see something other than just renault 5 gtts.

It wouldn't be RAOC event ,it's just they have all the legals in place to do it and I'm sure would help and get a wider audience .Renault would also more than likely step up to help .They do for a few RAOC attendances already ,Bromely,La Vie etc
Public liabilty insurance etc + MSA so can record times etc and run the day .We would have to look into marshaling and loads of other logistics .

Mart
10-02-2013, 11:17
It's like the Show & Shine bollox all over again. Sad days :dearme:

Ashy
10-02-2013, 11:21
It wouldn't be RAOC event ,it's just they have all the legals in place to do it and I'm sure would help and get a wider audience .Renault would also more than likely step up to help .They do for a few RAOC attendances already ,Bromely,La Vie etc
Public liabilty insurance etc + MSA so can record times etc and run the day .We would have to look into marshaling and loads of other logistics .

Well worth looking into mate, a solution to keep everyone happy would be awesome!

clee
10-02-2013, 11:22
Same **** different thread .Lot of talk but no-one saying anything .Should would could ....
That's the way of forums though .All get together round a table and it'd be sorted out in half a day :coffee:

Mart
10-02-2013, 11:25
Same **** different thread .Lot of talk but no-one saying anything .Should would could ....
That's the way of forums though .All get together round a table and it'd be sorted out in half a day :coffee:

:agree: Maybe 2014 ND/rtoc events should be the main topic for discussion at this year's AGM? (assuming there is one).

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 11:30
I haven't read all of his thread, but did someone mention going to the dieppe factory at one point?

chris
10-02-2013, 11:34
On a plus side to all this we all most have 40 votes for the other events:laugh:

Ian S
10-02-2013, 12:10
It seems that several people have had the same idea at the same time.

What we do is treat a FRIDAY POD DAY as a RTOC group buy.

People pay up front in full for, say, £100. If we have enough buyers we can go ahead and book the day at no risk to the club.

In the unlikely occurrence that a lot more tickets sell that is needed to meet the cost, then a partial refund could be done.

No refund if it rains.

Does that sound fair and reasonable and give you all what you want :)

People who will pay maybe £100 for a Friday Pod day enter you names here:
Taken from the above few posts is it correct to assume:
Dave
Mark
Phil
Ted

Nottswoody
GT Josh?
soapymech?
SteveL?

So we need another 42.

Ian S
10-02-2013, 12:22
CLee, isn't Brunters quite expensive, £16k or something?

Did RAOC book only part of it?

Can't the same idea be exploited for this years Blyton day? Have the RAOC as part of the event, legally it would be an RAOC event, and then people can have timed laps?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 12:48
It seems that several people have had the same idea at the same time.

Nice try, if you mean me 'Matt' I don't do drag racing. I like corners.
In fact there is only one think I dislike more than drag racing, and that's watching it.

Edited :)

I used to get some fun from the braking and the left turn at the end of the strip.

clee
10-02-2013, 12:57
CLee, isn't Brunters quite expensive, £16k or something?

Did RAOC book only part of it?

Can't the same idea be exploited for this years Blyton day? Have the RAOC as part of the event, legally it would be an RAOC event, and then people can have timed laps?

God no !! ...well at least I assume not .

We pretty much had the run of the track/runway apart from the occasional race team out testing bikes/cars .
10 of us paid about 90 quid each for the weekday .
I'll ask Dellboy and sound him out :agree:

mike r5 gtt
10-02-2013, 14:06
i havnt read all of this thread so please dont shoot me down if im repeating someone but if you are trying to combine a track and strip day would it not be easier to hold the event at a track and then have a make shift strip,
i know it wouldnt be ideal espec for the big boys but roughly speaking a long tape measure, starting lights/flags and some timing gear (which i think you can hire) and you would have a basic strip.
Also the fact that it would be a "homemade strip" may incourage some members to have a go instead of lining up at the lights of pod with lots of eyes watching your every shift !

then the track lot will have the track as per norm.

If you were to hold it at pod/shakespehere etc i think the room would be restricted and the makeshift track would basically be a solo/sprint/handling circuit through some cones which may get busy/boring for some :/

may help numbers as you will hopefully have the drag lot and the track lot all coming plus gives everyone a chance to see/partake in both if they wish?

Ian S
10-02-2013, 14:21
God no !! ...well at least I assume not.......weekdayAh, not a weekend. Here why I thought £16k, that was the total spend at the RTOC Brunters day, Brunters itself was about £12k. But extras were needed: see 2006: http://www.rtoc.org/files/?path=Club%20files/Club%20Financial%20reports/Club%20National%20Meeting%20day/

clee
10-02-2013, 14:37
Jesus H feckin Christ !!!
Someone surely got their pants pulled down on that one .It's an airfield circuit :coffee:
No way can that stack up .You only have to look at the Mallory costs to know that :mad:

mike r5 gtt
10-02-2013, 16:29
ouch! thats some expensive tarmac!

the jap clubs (mlr i think) hold an event and then invite the gtr and scooby lot.
could we not do this but invite other turbo'd renault clubs?21,gta's etc? or maybe just other other renaults.
could strike up some friendly club score board or such?also might drum up some club intrest and help split the hire costs?

rs250nut
10-02-2013, 16:35

the jap clubs (mlr i think) hold an event and then invite the gtr and scooby lot.
could we not do this but invite other turbo'd renault clubs?21,gta's etc? or maybe just other other renaults.
could strike up some friendly club score board or such?also might drum up some club intrest and help split the hire costs?

I have said this twice in this thread already but I have Martinitous (invisible post syndrome)

bod 182
10-02-2013, 17:00

MLR actually run a sprint series within the club they don,t invite anyone there are 20 allocated places for scoobynet which they pay for if these aren,t filled MLR fill the places,Mlr also run well organised trackdays with free tuition and a tyre support truck and do a drag strip events one is coming up at RAF Marham imo RTOC events fall short of organised events on MLR just doesn,t seem to get the numbers on Rtoc events

The new Bill J
10-02-2013, 17:41

It's been tried in the past. The 21toc and the raoc don't want to know :(

chris
10-02-2013, 17:49

Do they give you a reason why what about cliosport or other french car clubs ?

The new Bill J
10-02-2013, 17:54
Do they give you a reason why what about cliosport or other french car clubs ?

As far as I know, they prefer to stay in their own groups/clubs. clee and DaveL485 are the ones to ask though, as they're members of the other clubs.

We did do some 'joint club' track days a few years back with the Peugeot 306 lot. We didn't seem to get on too well, if the threads on both forums afterwards were anything to go by :wasntme:

chris
10-02-2013, 18:18
As far as I know, they prefer to stay in their own groups/clubs. clee and DaveL485 are the ones to ask though, as they're members of the other clubs.

We did do some 'joint club' track days a few years back with the Peugeot 306 lot. We didn't seem to get on too well, if the threads on both forums afterwards were anything to go by :wasntme:

Oh lol what about trying new clubs that we havent before someone mentioned haveing 80s/90s theme

bod 182
10-02-2013, 18:29
TBH looking at this and attending all the National days for the last ten years you will always have minimal numbers,no other clubs are interested you will get a few from cliosport for the cheap track time but attendance is always low either holidays are booked,distance,costs whatever the reasons it will never be everyone turning up thats the way it is always has been IMO :crap:

mike r5 gtt
10-02-2013, 18:35

seems a shame :cry: we all have a common interest

i could prob drum up some intrest from the twingo lot but most of them are fans of stickers or detailing as opposed to track time, and we know how show and shines end :crap:

Fishey
10-02-2013, 18:38
I'm no expert in this as I'm quite a new member to speak of but obviously we can't afford both events, possibly even one of our own. We need to be looking at being involved with other clubs, I think it would be better if there is some variation from just r5's as much as I love them!

Brunters sounds good, I'm a track fan but also like a bit of 1/4 mile. Need to cater for both.

chris
10-02-2013, 18:57
I'm no expert in this as I'm quite a new member to speak of but obviously we can't afford both events, possibly even one of our own. We need to be looking at being involved with other clubs, I think it would be better if there is some variation from just r5's as much as I love them!

Brunters sounds good, I'm a track fan but also like a bit of 1/4 mile. Need to cater for both.

Myself and ross are getting us into other shows, hill climb ,track days,drag raceing,static events just to try and mix it up abit it is also excellent advertiseing and hopefully a good laugh

Slammed 66
10-02-2013, 19:25
I think a post on the megane forum might be a good call. From what I gather, it's a large club with people who do trackdays and drag events so they might be quite a good group to go with.

Also the buzz word on this thread appears to be 'pod day'.

Does it have to be the pod? I don't personally know but I would assume that Avon park, York raceway and north weald would be cheaper but at the cost of a less central location and less track prep.
What I can say though is that at the 'retro show' at the pod you should easily get 10-15 runs in for your £20. I usually do around ten with plenty of the day to spare (I get on the track as soon as its open)

I'm equally happy blatting down the quarter as I am around a track so it personally makes no odds to me.

I think it's fair to say that there are a few long serving committee members who are thoroughly pissed off at the general response they get for their efforts. It's no easy task organising something like national day and I thought the last one was great. Likewise all the other roles that go unappreciated.

Just my thoughts....

Ross

Ian S
10-02-2013, 21:30
I would say to that, Retro show it is then :)

Do those vocal few object to that or will it suffice as the RTOC Pod day this year?

Weekend
Plenty of runs
Prep'd track?
own cosy area
camping?
other cars to look at.

no risk to the club finances?
even if it rains?

I seem to recall that the RTOC FRIDAY Pod day preceded the Retro show one time? Some people stayed over and ran on the Saturday and camped on the sat night??

Markey Mark (BD)
10-02-2013, 22:02

Do those vocal few object to that or will it suffice as the RTOC Pod day this year?

Weekend
Plenty of runs
Prep'd track?
own cosy area
camping?
other cars to look at.

even if it rains?

I seem to recall that the RTOC FRIDAY Pod day preceded the Retro show one time? Some people stayed over and ran on the Saturday and camped on the sat night??

I'll be attending Retro Show anyway, if cars done would be running either way so all the better if a few others turn up

JRP
10-02-2013, 22:27

Weekend
Plenty of runs
Prep'd track?
own cosy area
camping?
other cars to look at.

even if it rains?

When it joined the retro show that year, and there was that v8 ford pop running ohhh dreamy!! Anyway ... That was a real good turn out on the Friday, great night and Saturday was a blast!

chris
10-02-2013, 22:34
When it joined the retro show that year, and there was that v8 ford pop running ohhh dreamy!! Anyway ... That was a real good turn out on the Friday, great night and Saturday was a blast!
I havent been to this particuler show before but does look good and lots of diffrent cars to see it will be good camping aswell lets hope its dry:)

turbo ted
10-02-2013, 23:43
I'll be attending Retro Show anyway, if cars done would be running either way so all the better if a few others turn up:agree::agree::agree:
or saturday night special on the 4th may

Ian S
11-02-2013, 00:21
I would say to that, Retro show it is then :)There's already a list :) http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?p=314291#post314291

GTphil
11-02-2013, 08:55
One thing that is fairly obvious is that there will be no exclusive pod hire this year and in all honesty If the club funds are as low as they are I can't see it happening next year either. :(

I think combining a track event with a drag strip isn't the way to go, unless the drag strip is a "proper" surface. When I go to pod I don't race the car next to me, I race the clock and my goal is to improve my terminal speed and hence my time, I can't speak for all the people who go to pod but with any other kind of surface the above just isn't going to happen. It's all about building the car/engine myself and extracting as much power out of it as I can, and the drag strip is the definitive way to test this.

I'm perfectly happy to combine the clubs pod day with the retro show, as long as it's not like last years where It was over an hour in the que between runs, no time to make any changes or do any fettling of any kind. Not to mention the fact you don't actually get to watch anything as your queuing up literally all day.

I was under the impression that last year was going to be fairly quiet being a test and tune day and we were unlucky that the massive vw show ended up being on that weekend and that just packed the place out hence the huge que.

Could we not take funds for say the cost of a test and tune day ticket but not actually purchase any from pod then actually decide what date we go for once pod has most of the shows booked up for the year, then we can try to pick as quiet a weekend as possible and get as much track time as possible with a fully prepd track. That way there is no financial risk to the club and we get a fairly quite track. Last years idea was good in principle it just wasn't the best of timing and organization.

I'm not having a dig at anyone and I think all of the committee and events organizers do a great job considering it's in their own time, and what has happened with regards to more people helping out with events can only be a good thing for the club.

5teve L
11-02-2013, 09:36
The year we had the Friday before the Retro show was a good day, then we had the camping :scared::wasntme: & the Retro show the next day. If something similar could be arranged for next year maybe ??
Or are we now destined to 'tag on' to other events/test & tune ?

car.crash
11-02-2013, 10:24
Test and tune days suck arse. Nothing for spectators
Need to have our own event or join onto a proper show. I won't go to test and tune ever again as its boring.

GTphil
11-02-2013, 10:34
I can see the reasoning behind it, test an tune is a tenner to just watch and something like the retro event gives people much more to look at. If your not running or after a p.b then yes test an tune probably won't appeal.

All I want to know is as a club are we going to call the retro show our visit to pod this year officially?

chris
11-02-2013, 11:19
I have been on the phone this morning to Neil saunders from Santa pod. We definitely cant hire the pod at weekend they don't do it anymore for owners clubs like ourselves. but they will do a week day for us the only condition of it is that you cant have it on a week day thats leading up to a weekend show:crap: What does everyone think to that? i am going to ring north wealed tommorow because according to there web site there not open today can anyone else suggest any other drag racing venues?

clee
11-02-2013, 13:02
I think that the clubs Nat Day has lost it's way in general ....
Those who want a full on track or strip are in the minority and lets be honest if your whole year is geared around one RTOC event then you aren't really hardcore anyway :D

I think day should be more of a social event with
0-60 runs etc on a airfield is as enjoyable for the average member as a fully prepped track and also BIG run off areas for the track novices is a must .Mobile RR is also a good crowd puller .
We have tended to gear it towards the vocal and crazygang people in the club and have perhaps lost sight of the wider membership .:coffee:

5teve L
11-02-2013, 15:19
I think that the clubs Nat Day has lost it's way in general ....
Those who want a full on track or strip are in the minority and lets be honest if your whole year is geared around one RTOC event then you aren't really hardcore anyway :D

I think day should be more of a social event with
0-60 runs etc on a airfield is as enjoyable for the average member as a fully prepped track and also BIG run off areas for the track novices is a must .Mobile RR is also a good crowd puller .
We have tended to gear it towards the vocal and crazygang people in the club and have perhaps lost sight of the wider membership .:coffee:

Very good & valid points Lee.
Not everyone likes to drag their cars or track them, but a few more may do an all in one event as you suggest. Just a fun, action packed RTOC National day. If it was arranged properly it could be a pretty good day/night. Maybe a RR, RWYB track & drag or 0-60 events, sort of tasters if you like. Maybe some stands, show & shine & a raffle/prize giving at the end of the day to get everyone together ?

Alex
11-02-2013, 15:39
I thought last years ND had pretty much everything. O.k. it would have been great to have a drag strip as well as the track but how many places do this? (I'm talking a fully prepped strip)

If you didn't want to go on track (understandable) you could go on the RR and/or chat to members and socialise in general.

There was also the hugely successful show and shine....... :laugh:

Personally I can't see what more people would want.

5teve L
11-02-2013, 15:47
I thought last years ND had pretty much everything. O.k. it would have been great to have a drag strip as well as the track but how many places do this? (I'm talking a fully prepped strip)

If you didn't want to go on track (understandable) you could go on the RR and/or chat to members and socialise in general.

There was also the hugely successful show and shine....... :laugh:

Personally I can't see what more people would want.

I think the point Lee was making is that we seem to have got away from the actual social side of the clubs National day & it just seems to be a trackday now (or a drag day) & not a go round & look over cars, chat to members, etc etc.

Out of interest, what do out continental brothers & sisters do on their national day ?

Alex
11-02-2013, 18:31
I think so too but I found it really quite sociable too, I met some new faces (some from abroad) and caught up with some old faces too.

And then there was helping out and lending tools to fix Steves leaking fuel tank! :D

I guess it's what you make of it from that point if view though......