PDA

View Full Version : whats the best manifold

LYNCHSTAR
27-01-2013, 14:34
due to a previous thread i posted a couple of weeks ago about my split tubular manifold. ive welded it up at work and just want to know what the difference is with turbo spool up on them both and is there actually any proof of it.

BluntyR5GTT
27-01-2013, 14:48
I honestly noticed nothing but change of note from the exhaust from the raceland one

JRP
27-01-2013, 14:59
due to a previous thread i posted a couple of weeks ago about my split tubular manifold. ive welded it up at work and just want to know what the difference is with turbo spool up on them both and is there actually any proof of it.

The gains are better with a higher state of tune was my understanding.

LYNCHSTAR
27-01-2013, 15:09
would you say the turbo spools up quicker i thought this was why people invested in these.

BluntyR5GTT
27-01-2013, 15:24
Nope didnt spool any earlier for me mate. And as you know mine is a very highly tuned engine.

w35ty
27-01-2013, 15:38
From what iv been told before any get gains when running high boost really, just stick to standard one for the sound :smokin:

Mart
27-01-2013, 18:01
Best is o.e port-matched to the head.

LYNCHSTAR
27-01-2013, 19:35
a take it no one likes the tubular manifolds then.

car.crash
27-01-2013, 19:51
Not the cheap raceland ones no. They don't fit and the welds crack, but what did people expect for under £200.

philr5t
27-01-2013, 20:27
I like them if there proper ones mine looks good sounds great and does definatly make the engine breath better but it's bigger pipe work than the k-Tec/raceland ones

Harri
28-01-2013, 06:26
I like my DIY one but haven't had issues (yet). Someone should dyno engine before and after since this issue has been discussed many times before.

TNT ANDY
28-01-2013, 06:34
Not the cheap raceland ones no. They don't fit and the welds crack, but what did people expect for under £200.

TNT Ross has one on and done a few year on it with no additional bracing etc, no cracks, great power delivery. It did need a bit of work to get it on. I have fitted 1 and braced it at 2 points - 1 oe onto the downpipe and an additional one off the gearbox to the back of the turbo - fingers crossed it doesn't fall to pieces. if it does, I'll be the 1st to let you know.

HAndy
28-01-2013, 21:12
if the runners are as close to equal as possible, and no sharp bends to slow down /reversion of the flow of exhaust gasses, then the pulses hitting the turbine wheel should improve spool up mid range,and top end power on pretty much all boost levels, better than the o.e item;), off course to really see good gains, a free flowing exhaust, a ported/flowed head and cams that allow the engine to breath are needed.

turbo ted
28-01-2013, 21:29
i had one these raceland manifolds on my c1j 4 years ago it worked for me spooled up better quicker times at pod and no problems with the welds or cracking the manifold is on a none members car that i see regularly and its fine, maybe the earlier ones where built better:confused:

dangerous dave
28-01-2013, 21:33
i had one these raceland manifolds on my c1j 4 years ago it worked for me spooled up better quicker times at pod and no problems with the welds or cracking the manifold is on a none members car that i see regularly and its fine, maybe the earlier ones where built better:confused:

there been a few pics of poor welds pop up... poor workmanship on a few fo show:)

olidaviesuk
28-01-2013, 21:35
Had back to back dyno runs on a slightly modified rl tubular mani against a log mani last year exactly the same setup....

Slight hp gain but more noticable torque gain....

if the runners are as close to equal as possible, and no sharp bends to slow down /reversion of the flow of exhaust gasses, then the pulses hitting the turbine wheel should improve spool up mid range,and top end power on pretty much all boost levels, better than the o.e item;), off course to really see good gains, a free flowing exhaust, a ported/flowed head and cams that allow the engine to breath are needed.