PDA

View Full Version : help please, starter moter problem

dave j gtt
20-12-2008, 12:34
Went to work this morning all was fine.

When i finished work and went to start car, starter moter wont turn the car over, just makes zzzzz noise. tried tapping starter moter and solenoid no difference,

Bumped started car and drove home , turned of while i was driving to see if it would work and it was still the same zzzzz noise.

Suggestions and help please ;)

Regards dave.

Brigsy
20-12-2008, 12:54
zzz? Do you mean the solenoid is making a clicking noise. Its either knackered starter, battery or wiring. Check alt is charging whilst on with it.

Chris Hebden
20-12-2008, 13:04
By the sounds of it the starters just spinning and not engaging, need a new one mate

wrightygtt
20-12-2008, 13:15
MInes just given up the ghost as well, after being a bit of a swine for a yr or so, please could someone who's changed one recently point me in the right direction as to
1.Best price for an original Starter motor
2.in novice mechanical terms, how to change one?
can you change it from the top down, under the turbo etc, or jack up car take off the ns wheel and get to it from there??

Thankyou please

Mart
20-12-2008, 13:37
When i finished work and went to start car, starter moter wont turn the car over, just makes zzzzz noise. tried tapping starter moter and solenoid no difference

Could be a sticky solenoid, as has been said. Could also be a poor connection on the white exciter wire giving high resistance/low power, and thus not enough to activate the solenoid. Check the connection/wiring there is good, and also where it runs through the 'connector of death' by the n/s headlight.

Whatever you do, if the starter motor does need replacing, don't fit the smaller body (Laguna/Megane esque) motors.

dave j gtt
20-12-2008, 14:05
thank you for all replies :)

Think theres a chance it might be just a sticky solinoid, i hope :wasntme:, Hows best to check that out and will also check all wiring.

I'll check the white exciter wire :)

Never had a prob with it before. had a lose termainal before and its not that.

:goodJob:

ollyhock
21-12-2008, 14:13
have you tried to start the car with jump leads of another good battery?
Your existing battery may not have enough amps to crank the car over, but may still show 12v if you test it. Also if you put the car in gear and rock it, then try to start car, if this works starter motor is probably on it's way out, the commy on the motor may have a low segment.

Hope you get sorted

jantheeven
22-12-2008, 15:45
MInes just given up the ghost as well, after being a bit of a swine for a yr or so, please could someone who's changed one recently point me in the right direction as to
can you change it from the top down, under the turbo etc, or jack up car take off the ns wheel and get to it from there??

Thankyou please

1. Jack up the car
2. Remove driver's side wheel
3. Remove wiring from starter motor
4. Remove air filter (it's in the way)
5. Starter motor is secured with 3 16mm bolts... kinda hard to get to, but you'll manage ;)
6. Wipe blood off your hands
7. From where the driver's side wheel was, remove the starter motor
8. Wipe sweat off your face
9. Put new starter in place and make sure the locating dowel is in the correct hole (mine was stuck in the gear box, so that was nice)
10. Try to position the starter using one of the bolts as a locator
11. After 10 attempts, calm down and put the kettle on
12. Tighten all bolts, refit wiring
13. Start

wrightygtt
22-12-2008, 18:18
Nice1 buddy, 2. would be passenger wheel for us though wouldn't it:p
The jobs sounds simple enough but I bet those bolts will be a swine to remove, I''ll have a go after christmas.:)

Adam L
22-12-2008, 18:22
There's a much easier way to do it, just undo the downpipe and pull the starter out from the top, then take off the 3 cables. Takes about 15 minutes.

gttjames
22-12-2008, 18:30
seen a posts recently about dodgy starter motors, and how some have a different number of teeth etc, and how some companys send out laguna ones etc

so instead of geting a new one, i took mine to the local auto electrics shop and got them to re condition it, that way i new it would go back in and work all good, although it cost surprisingly alot...

jantheeven
22-12-2008, 22:40
Nice1 buddy, 2. would be passenger wheel for us though wouldn't it:p
The jobs sounds simple enough but I bet those bolts will be a swine to remove, I''ll have a go after christmas.:)

No I already took into consideration that the steering wheel is on the other side in England mate... so if you decide to do it this way, it's the driver's side for you (passenger side for me) ;) :agree:

jantheeven
22-12-2008, 22:44
seen a posts recently about dodgy starter motors, and how some have a different number of teeth etc, and how some companys send out laguna ones etc

I recently replaced my starter motor with a Laguna one... works fine... but probably not as long as an o.e. one as they can take the heat better, so I've heard :crap:

dave j gtt
09-01-2009, 01:41
There's a much easier way to do it, just undo the downpipe and pull the starter out from the top, then take off the 3 cables. Takes about 15 minutes.

nice one adam ;) going to pull this off tomorrow. ive been lazy:sad2:

Jono
09-01-2009, 14:06
I replaced the standard 5 one with the small bodied one. It didnt last... maybe 8 months. Now back on a tubby 5 one .....

bones660
09-01-2009, 17:47

Thankyou please
in novice terms . unbolt old . bolt on new . :agree::laugh: