PDA

View Full Version : Car bogs down (very rich)

Romil Davda
16-01-2013, 17:46
So the other day (Sunday) when driving on the motorway, was doing about 70 (3.5K revs) and all of a sudden the car started to bog down... Turbo needle started to fall and the revs dropped. I was on a little gradient going uphill and had to gear down to 4th... Again it started bogging down, turbo came on but started losing power. I nursed it to the nearest petrol station and filled up. I put in 45.5 litres for fuel, so my assumption was: Main tank emptied, reserve tank kicked in and chucked in a load of crap petrol.

No further issues till earlier today when the car started doing the same but at low revs (AFR was 10.0 all the way)... cleared up once properly warmed up but would be good to know why this happened! :scratch:

I will change the fuel filter and give the carb a little clean with Carb cleaner but any ideas why this happened? Has this happened to you?

Logg
16-01-2013, 17:50
So the other day (Sunday) when driving on the motorway, was doing about 70 (3.5K revs) and all of a sudden the car started to bog down... Turbo needle started to fall and the revs dropped. I was on a little gradient going uphill and had to gear down to 4th... Again it started bogging down, turbo came on but started losing power. I nursed it to the nearest petrol station and filled up. I put in 45.5 litres for fuel, so my assumption was: Main tank emptied, reserve tank kicked in and chucked in a load of crap petrol.

No further issues till earlier today when the car started doing the same but at low revs (AFR was 10.0 all the way)... cleared up once properly warmed up but would be good to know why this happened! :scratch:

I will change the fuel filter and give the carb a little clean with Carb cleaner but any ideas why this happened? Has this happened to you?

Sounds like carb freeze to me. Solution either drive harder or cardboard partially cover the radiator and intercooler

markg
16-01-2013, 18:28
I agree with Logg. Are you running a thermostat ?, I used to get this with no thermostat fitted.

dangerous dave
16-01-2013, 18:43
I've been wiped clean out in cold weather.. No matter how much boost or revs I just keep freezing up.. Like they say, block some of the airflow or better yet, bypass the cooler altogether.

Romil Davda
16-01-2013, 20:57
I thought it might be carb freeze but could not find the symtoms for it!

Thermostat fitted. But how would the water cooling system effect the carb?!? :scratch:

As for the carboard trick, I will give this a go... Should I change the fuel filter and clean the carb? Or just try the cardboard thing?

Dave - You got your car on the road then? Bypass the cooler!!!! REALLY? My inlet temp gauge stopped working (at carb top) but this did seem fine at the time.

car.crash
16-01-2013, 21:00
Just shove some cardboard or a man bag over the cooler and go for a blast. Very quick elimination to see what's what.

Romil Davda
16-01-2013, 21:02
Just shove some cardboard or a man bag over the cooler and go for a blast. Very quick elimination to see what's what.

My SACHEL is too small, can I borrow yours? (you can take your purse out first)

car.crash
16-01-2013, 21:03
Yeh no bother :smokin:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man%20purse

Mr Raider
16-01-2013, 21:04
Must be fuel&air side of the carb freezing up not coolant side however it does run through carb base,try cardboard over the inter cooler maybe rad also as its over cooling, had this happen before mate :)

Romil Davda
16-01-2013, 21:42
Yeh no bother :smokin:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man%20purse

You funny fecker... only just seen the link! Cant stop laughing now :D

No water pipes going to carb! Started to leak for the previous owner, so hoses taken off and carb is bypassed... Must be the IC, will try the cardboard thing tomorrow or Fri and feedback. How about a smaller IC? currently has a double capacity.

Thanks for the replies guys, oh yeah and Marc :p

car.crash
16-01-2013, 21:47
Leave the double cap on but cover the front. Logg used to do it in the winter on his front mount.

JP Racing
16-01-2013, 21:50
When I ran a chargecooler and a pace intercooler I got the same problem it's carb freeze. I would have to stop and let it warm up and turn the chargecooler pump off which helped :) I've even had it stall and had to leave it to warm up a bit before I started it again :)

Tony Walker
16-01-2013, 21:54
i havent been getting carb freeze but as i dont have a thermostat for my oil cooler ive placed something over my oil cooler to get the oil up to temp with just a little bit still showing. similar principle. just block the flow off to the Intercooler and all should be good :D

Brigsy
16-01-2013, 22:13
Carb freeze, the joys of big intercoolers and carbs in the winter. Give it some boost that will cure it;)

turbo ted
16-01-2013, 23:39
You funny fecker... only just seen the link! Cant stop laughing now :D

No water pipes going to carb! Started to leak for the previous owner, so hoses taken off and carb is bypassed... Must be the IC, will try the cardboard thing tomorrow or Fri and feedback. How about a smaller IC? currently has a double capacity.

Thanks for the replies guys, oh yeah and Marc :p
this is the time of year when you need water pipes to the carb as it keeps the fuel warm

THE MASTER
17-01-2013, 19:41
carb freazze is when ice builds up on the venturi. due to the smaller(caused by ice build up) venturi the vacum the pulls the fuel in becomes stronger ending is a mix that is way to rich

std inter coolers got round this prob with fitting a thermostacaly controled flap inside the inter cooler thus bypassing the cooling effect of the cooler and having warmer air going through the carb pase two 5's also use a flap inside the air filter casing that draw some warm air from around the exhaust.

a little trick that might help is put your air intake (ie air filter) away from the front and take air from around the turbo /exhaust

any one old enough knows this time of year you gotta move your air intake to warmer places . ie like in the fords that have the swinging air intake. old renaltsall you did was move the intake pipe to suck on the exhaust :mart: