PDA

View Full Version : Renault 5 sunroof

turner1986
14-01-2013, 22:22
First post!

Iv seen this raider left to rot..
But never seen one with this sunroof before I can't even find any pics or info on net.. I assume its the most recent raider being a h plate..has any 1 seen any

westy94
14-01-2013, 23:29
Mines an h plate raider no sunroof though! prob an aftermarket one that's been put in by someone in its life

Dudders
15-01-2013, 00:07
First post!

But never seen one with this sunroof before I can't even find any pics or info on net.. I assume its the most recent raider being a h plate..has any 1 seen any

looks a lot like this, pretty old aftermarket type and i probably leaks as much as mine does!!!

i think its called a donmar skyroof topslider?!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/SKYROOF2.jpg/800px-SKYROOF2.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/SKYROOF2.jpg)

Dudders
15-01-2013, 00:09
ooops i didnt realize the picture would be quite that big sorry :eek:

turner1986
15-01-2013, 06:39
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

It does look really similar but the one on it is electric.. I had never seen one before thought maybe it was a rare model didnt even think of it being aftermarket.. Thanks

phase i 16 v turbo
15-01-2013, 08:37
I have two cars in at the mo one with it electric and the other manual.

Mr Raider
15-01-2013, 12:08
First post!

Doesnt look so bad, is this raider up for grabs?

The new Bill J
15-01-2013, 14:01
All Renault 5 sunroofs are 'after market', as such. None of them were fitted at the factory, but some dealers offered them as extras. This is why there are several different types.

I did hear a rumor years back that there was a document floating around from the factory to the dealers, recommending that the 5's weren't fitted with sunroofs.

turner1986
15-01-2013, 14:16

Doesnt look so bad, is this raider up for grabs?

I'm looking at it.. Thing is its been dead since 2002 sat on a drive.. Iv always wanted one. Owner says may be problem with the turbo.. But it sat far too long probably need a good seeing to I imagine everthing will be seized.. Body works shabby.. Havnt done much work on cars but always wanted to get in 2 5s I love them.. How much would u say for a non runner and is it worth the risk..

Bigfoot
15-01-2013, 14:26

I'm looking at it.. Thing is its been dead since 2002 sat on a drive.. Iv always wanted one. Owner says may be problem with the turbo.. But it sat far too long probably need a good seeing to I imagine everthing will be seized.. Body works shabby.. Havnt done much work on cars but always wanted to get in 2 5s I love them.. How much would u say for a non runner and is it worth the risk..

Cant really say without looking at the car, but eBay they go for around 600-800 for non runners in not great condition, need to see if its rotten, engine can start normally, started one which has been sitting around for that long, turbo smoked but engine ran sweet even with the plugs and oil which had been sitting around for that long. With the raider though depends on what you want doing with it, as the seats going to be the biggest expense if not there or loads of holes. Carpet is another expensive part on this model. Rest is the same within reason to the standard Renault 5 GT Turbo.

turner1986
15-01-2013, 15:39

Cant really say without looking at the car, but eBay they go for around 600-800 for non runners in not great condition, need to see if its rotten, engine can start normally, started one which has been sitting around for that long, turbo smoked but engine ran sweet even with the plugs and oil which had been sitting around for that long. With the raider though depends on what you want doing with it, as the seats going to be the biggest expense if not there or loads of holes. Carpet is another expensive part on this model. Rest is the same within reason to the standard Renault 5 GT Turbo.

I hear that fuel left that long starts turning to jelly.is this true. If so what action would u take.. Or any other recommendations before firing it up.. Wouldn't wana make things worse for myself..any advice would be handy.. I think I'm gonna get it and risk it..

Bigfoot
15-01-2013, 16:27
If you are unlucky, this fuel was fine, ran a bit rough but put some extra fuel in there and cleaned it up on the running. Looked at a Alpine GTA which had been stood for 15 years I think and that was like jelly though. All new lines had to be run through.

Best thing is to turn engine over by hand, to make sure its free, possible change oil and water or make sure there is enough in there. Once turned over, take king lead off and fire it over more. Than start it properly and hopefully it runs and more than likely smokes a lot if the turbo has gone.

turner1986
15-01-2013, 16:43

Thanks for the advice hopefully ill get it cheap enough and give it a go..

Mr Raider
16-01-2013, 21:08

Think that's wise to not fit sunroofs :scared:

TopCat
16-01-2013, 21:38
I love a sunroof. Personal preference I Spose

Andy M
16-01-2013, 22:31
Is the car local to Bromley? Be happy to take a look if it is and you want a second opinion on the car.

THE MASTER
17-01-2013, 19:53
If you are unlucky, this fuel was fine, ran a bit rough but put some extra fuel in there and cleaned it up on the running. Looked at a Alpine GTA which had been stood for 15 years I think and that was like jelly though. All new lines had to be run through.

Best thing is to turn engine over by hand, to make sure its free, possible change oil and water or make sure there is enough in there. Once turned over, take king lead off and fire it over more. Than start it properly and hopefully it runs and more than likely smokes a lot if the turbo has gone.

i would go for a sart up with no cranking . reason is the oil pump will work quicker and get oil around faster than a slow crank on the starter .. ask any one that can get the oil light out with just using the starter.:)

THE MASTER
17-01-2013, 19:56
All Renault 5 sunroofs are 'after market', as such. None of them were fitted at the factory, but some dealers offered them as extras. This is why there are several different types.

I did hear a rumor years back that there was a document floating around from the factory to the dealers, recommending that the 5's weren't fitted with sunroofs.

correct sir billy

all sunroofs are fitted eather by the import dock or the selling dealer
the only sun roof that i knowthat was sorta aproved was the britax large

Bigfoot
17-01-2013, 20:03
i would go for a sart up with no cranking . reason is the oil pump will work quicker and get oil around faster than a slow crank on the starter .. ask any one that can get the oil light out with just using the starter.:)

Not worth just checking it will turn round at all then? With using starter motor then. Not talking about enough to get pressure up

THE MASTER
17-01-2013, 20:17
Not worth just checking it will turn round at all then? With using starter motor then. Not talking about enough to get pressure up

soz dale i forget. coz it come with out thinking i natraly do all cheaks first. i know withing a few seconds of stating if somthing aint right :homer:

AidenJ
18-02-2013, 16:44

I'd say not worth it. If you want to get into them get a good one because that will break down enough to keep you busy. Don't get stung with a rotbox like I did for my first one.

Hammer
18-02-2013, 19:27
Going back to the original sunroof enquiry, my H-reg white 5 has got that exact same sunroof. Maybe they came from the same dealer originally?