PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure gauge

fossie
09-01-2013, 21:04
Hi guys as above mine ain't working and think its down to the ****e wiring.
Where's the sensor located and where does the loom run to so I can trace it back and possibly replace it....

Thanks in advance (again lol)
Lee

robx1r
09-01-2013, 21:17
hey mate hope ya can follow/understand this

looking at the car from the front

sensor - routed to the right to the engine loom block connector- through the passenger chassis leg - into the passenger foot well clipped onto the main loom.

there is 3 connections

1 at the engine harness connector behind the passenger light
2 in the passenger floor well on the left hand side on the side of the car.
3 the back of the clocks

how are you going to chase it?

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 21:30
Sendor is at the bottom of the oil feed banjo (front of block to turbo).

Stick your hand down and take off the 2 wires on the sendor (at the bottom of sendor) and give them a clean... also clean the connectors on the sendor. Put back and check gauge. Put the wires back where they came off, green and orane wires (I think).

fossie
09-01-2013, 21:32
hey mate hope ya can follow/understand this

looking at the car from the front

sensor - routed to the right to the engine loom block connector- through the passenger chassis leg - into the passenger foot well clipped onto the main loom.

there is 3 connections

1 at the engine harness connector behind the passenger light
2 in the passenger floor well on the left hand side on the side of the car.
3 the back of the clocks

how are you going to chase it?

Was just thinking of replacing the wiring from the sensor to the connector behind the passenger headlight if possible. Is this connector like a block. There's one there with a single spade type connector on the top of it. I'm sure there's other outputs on this block as well. Does this sound like the right connector?

robx1r
09-01-2013, 21:43
it should be directly behind the passenger light in the engine bay about 2 inchs long about 16 or so wires ?

fossie
09-01-2013, 21:49
it should be directly behind the passenger light in the engine bay about 2 inchs long about 16 or so wires ?

Ok thanks for that buddy ill have a look in the morning

fossie
09-01-2013, 22:00
Sendor is at the bottom of the oil feed banjo (front of block to turbo).

Stick your hand down and take off the 2 wires on the sendor (at the bottom of sendor) and give them a clean... also clean the connectors on the sendor. Put back and check gauge. Put the wires back where they came off, green and orane wires (I think).

Ok so I think i know what you mean. I can see one wire connected that joins the main loom and them up to the headlight. There's nothing on the other side.
I'm assuming that this would be an earth of some sort.
There doesn't appear to be any loose wires on the loom side

Any suggestions.

robx1r
09-01-2013, 22:06
could you take a picture?

fossie
09-01-2013, 22:11
could you take a picture?

Could do in the morning.
When you look at it from the top only one wire is connected that goes into the loom then up to the block behind the light. Does that make sense

markg
09-01-2013, 22:20
I could be wrong but some cars (Phase I ?) had a sender with only one wire as opposed to two. It sounds like that's what you may have. As mentioned already check the main wiring connection by the passenger side headlight. Notorious for causing all sorts of electrical issues.

fossie
09-01-2013, 22:27
I could be wrong but some cars (Phase I ?) had a sender with only one wire as opposed to two. It sounds like that's what you may have. As mentioned already check the main wiring connection by the passenger side headlight. Notorious for causing all sorts of electrical issues.

Mine is a ph1 buddy. Ill check the connection in the morning and the connector also

fossie
09-01-2013, 22:30
Mine looks likes this. It's huge

http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/oil-pressure-and-warning-light-sensor---early-design-1185-p.asp

The oil level light on the gauge seems to light up tho lol

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 22:49
When did the gauge stop working?

You start the car, it idles, gauges doesnt work?

fossie
09-01-2013, 22:53
When did the gauge stop working?

You start the car, it idles, gauges doesnt work?

Never worked buddy. When I turn on ignition it lights up the oil level side of things. When I turn it on the needle don't budge

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 23:26
Do you have standard dials? i.e not lockwood or pink ones!!!

fossie
09-01-2013, 23:34
Do you have standard dials? i.e not lockwood or pink ones!!!

Haha no totally standard.
The only thing I can think is did the ph1 have a oil pressure/oil level gauge. They probably did. Maybe the connector needs a clean but surely there should be another wire on that connector. Should both wires go into the loom.

To paint a cleaner picture.

Part of the loom runs long the back of the fan. This is wrapped in plastic casing.
Coming from that loom is one wire that connects on the sender. Now I can only see one wire. There doesn't appear to be another wire. Is there a separate one for the oil level. I'm sure on the ph2 it is seperate.

Romil Davda
10-01-2013, 00:36
This is wrapped in plastic casing.
Coming from that loom is one wire that connects on the sender. Now I can only see one wire. There doesn't appear to be another wire.

Not sure about the whole ph1/ph2 thing but...

If your sender is the same as in the pic you posted, then there should be 2 wires that connect to it. 1 should be an earth and the other the reading to the gauge (dont quote me on this, my Hanyes manual is with half my engine!)

fossie
10-01-2013, 08:49
Not sure about the whole ph1/ph2 thing but...

If your sender is the same as in the pic you posted, then there should be 2 wires that connect to it. 1 should be an earth and the other the reading to the gauge (dont quote me on this, my Hanyes manual is with half my engine!)

Ah saying that I have a Haynes so ill have a look. If its an earn ill just try wiring one in.
Cheers for that buddy

phase i 16 v turbo
10-01-2013, 10:12
There are three different types of oil pressure sensors Renault supplied.

fossie
10-01-2013, 10:55
Tbh looking at it I think the gauge itself might be kaput. The needle isn't even on the bottom. It's as if its stuck around 5mm of the bottom.

Romil Davda
10-01-2013, 12:21
Tbh looking at it I think the gauge itself might be kaput. The needle isn't even on the bottom. It's as if its stuck around 5mm of the bottom.

Quick test would be to replace the clocks/dials. 5 minute job but you need another set to test! I have a spare set with me now but the oil pressure doesnt work so no use to you!!!

fossie
10-01-2013, 18:07
Quick test would be to replace the clocks/dials. 5 minute job but you need another set to test! I have a spare set with me now but the oil pressure doesnt work so no use to you!!!

No but if you have a spare speedo cable that would be great lol

Romil Davda
10-01-2013, 22:21
No but if you have a spare speedo cable that would be great lol

Let me guess, the speedo hasn't worked either? If so, good luck getting this one fixed! :coffee:

fossie
11-01-2013, 09:35
Let me guess, the speedo hasn't worked either? If so, good luck getting this one fixed! :coffee:

No it works but only up to 60mph lol

Tim B
11-01-2013, 13:18
Just looking at the sample picture, You will have one wire for the pressure gauge and one wire for the oil pressure warning light. No need for an earth and if a PH1 has one, a wire for the oil level sensor in the sump.

fossie
02-02-2013, 21:33
Can anyone help further with this
Mine has two spade connectors however there is only one connector on it. I'm assuming this is the oil pressure light as this comes on then off when the car is started.
Where would the other wire come from. I'm assuming this should be for the oil level