PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild help

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 15:05
I have an engine that needs stripping down and rebuilding, can I have some advice as to:

1) Use bits from this engine:
hone liners, check pistons and crank - get reground/balanced as required. Purchase new bearings (big end and main), New rings, refurb oil pump... put back together with new gasket set and head bolts, after checking head and reseating valves.

Price = £200 for block work, regrind and balance crank, test head.
£50 rings
£60 big end bearings and main bearings
£100 HG set and bottom end set plus Head bolts
Total = £410 (approx.)

2) Use block and head but purchase Liner and piston set:
Use old block (pressure/crack test, acid dip/clean), purchase new Tarabusi piston and liner set, refurb oil pump... put back together with new gasket set and head bolts, after checking head and reseating valves.

£320 for liners and piston set (Tarabusi)
£100 HG set and bottom end set plus Headbolts
Total = £680 (approx)

Has anyone done option 1 above? If so, how does your engine fair now? any issues?

Any help or advise is appreciated

gttjames
09-01-2013, 15:14
Romil i did a engine rebuild over summer as it was burning abit of water - turned out to be a perished liner. I had crank checked and polished - so fitted new bearing/shells aswell.
measured oil pump tolerances - all ok so just cleaned up and re used
new tarabusi liners and liner seals (i would of re used liners but as corroded got new, if yours are ok just get them honed)
pistons where fine so new set of tarabusi rings

Then head wise just had it all checked and rebuilt to spec i wanted, new gaskets and head bolts and rebuilt.

Do what your budget can afford - i didnt need new oil pump so re used, nothing wrong with pistons so re used

JRP
09-01-2013, 15:36
I have an engine that needs stripping down and rebuilding, can I have some advice as to:

1) Use bits from this engine:
hone liners, check pistons and crank - get reground/balanced as required. Purchase new bearings (big end and main), New rings, refurb oil pump... put back together with new gasket set and head bolts, after checking head and reseating valves.

£50 rings
£100 HG set and bottom end set plus Head bolts
Total = £410 (approx.)

2) Use block and head but purchase Liner and piston set:
Use old block (pressure/crack test, acid dip/clean), purchase new Tarabusi piston and liner set, refurb oil pump... put back together with new gasket set and head bolts, after checking head and reseating valves.

£320 for liners and piston set (Tarabusi)
£100 HG set and bottom end set plus Headbolts
Total = £680 (approx)

Has anyone done option 1 above? If so, how does your engine fair now? any issues?

Any help or advise is appreciated

Rom... Mohahahahaha i laugh at your £680 for option 2.... in a nice way of course i'll help anyway i can ;)

tubbyG
09-01-2013, 16:30
I did option 1 last year and re-used the pistons/rods.... Engine has been great bar a fubared waterpump which was ancient and should have been replaced at the time of rebuild.

unless pistons/rods are damaged then no point spending where its not needed.

use the cash and get a fancy cam etc :D

markey b
09-01-2013, 16:54
mine gets rebuilt once, maybe twice a year :laugh:

its like triggers broom, only original part is the block!

option 1, get some decent used pistons and rods and get them checked over and honed, save some monies there

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 17:31
Cheers boys for the posts (and PM's)... I'll be doing option 1 :cool:

JRP and JamesS have given me a set of liners, 3 sets of pistons (2 of which have conrods), a block and sump... If I cannot use any of my bits from the old engine, I will see if JRP's or JamesS bits can used :p

Nottswoody
09-01-2013, 17:41
I think I'm going with option 1 too so with the rods do I buy new? As this engine didn't come with any

THE MASTER
09-01-2013, 17:47
im not to far from you . im in bracknell :eek:ile exchange some knowlage for some spare engine parts

Nottswoody
09-01-2013, 17:59
im not to far from you . im in bracknell :eek:ile exchange some knowlage for some spare engine parts

If I'm right I'm sure dj said the engine I have was one of yours from a j plate? I maybe wrong it's been a while

Romil Davda
09-01-2013, 18:01
I think I'm going with option 1 too so with the rods do I buy new? As this engine didn't come with any

Paul mate, JRP may have a set of rod's for sale if I dont use them. Are you in a rush?

Colin.... PM sent mate ;)

Nottswoody
09-01-2013, 18:06
Not a mad rush matey I'm at work and still waiting to deal with mike :) it's finding the time to doit really I need to strip it first I was told it was fully working so just a refirbing needed really

JRP
09-01-2013, 19:26
The rods have pistons attached ;)

djinuk
09-01-2013, 19:30
If I'm right I'm sure dj said the engine I have was one of yours from a j plate? I maybe wrong it's been a while

nah buddy the one you have there was out of my car im currently driving (although it is a J plate).. Strong engine that was matey, took lots of abuse from me and pulled like a train, only took it out as i fancied chucking a rebuilt lump in my car as i was painting it etc anyway.

Nottswoody
09-01-2013, 19:51
nah buddy the one you have there was out of my car im currently driving (although it is a J plate).. Strong engine that was matey, took lots of abuse from me and pulled like a train, only took it out as i fancied chucking a rebuilt lump in my car as i was painting it etc anyway.

It's going to get a lot more stick from me :)

Tony Walker
09-01-2013, 20:50
It's going to get a lot more stick from me :)

:D glad to hear it. mine see 7k rpm several times a day everyday :D blows the cobwebs off it.
I personally replaced the pistons and liners but only as i got them cheap when bbpt went bust. plus my pistons where screwed and slapped abit. they were ovaled :(
for the effort required id replace the oil pump internals while its apart too.