PDA

View Full Version : Roof Wrap

greggtt
07-01-2013, 23:57
Has anyone Wrapped their roof on an electric blue five before ? The paint is done on my roof , I've cut it to death but comes back white in no time , just thought of a cheap fix for the moment , what colour would you lads suggest ???

Not to sure if it would suit the car but if any one has pics please pop them up so I can have a nose at them , any help appreciated

Greg

LeeR5GTT
08-01-2013, 00:23
I have some white wrap that i got with my new 5, im not gunna use it, you can have it :)

tubbyG
08-01-2013, 00:26
I remember markeyB's brother doing somehing to the roof of his leccy blue 5, black and white checkers or something (looked cool ). Not sure if it was painted or, vinyl :scratch:

sure someone will be able to confirm

greggtt
08-01-2013, 00:57
I have some white wrap that i got with my new 5, im not gunna use it, you can have it :)

Cheers but was thinking of going carbon or darkish , white would mark a little to easy for me bud but thanks for the offer

LeeR5GTT
08-01-2013, 01:05
Cheers but was thinking of going carbon or darkish , white would mark a little to easy for me bud but thanks for the offer

no probs mate :) :agree:

Nottswoody
08-01-2013, 01:39

:coffee: was thinking about this myself at some point be nice to see how yours turns out..

ren_5hitbox
08-01-2013, 01:53
[QUOTE=greggtt;308092]Has anyone Wrapped their roof on an electric blue five before ? The paint is done on my roof , I've cut it to death but comes back white in no time , just thought of a cheap fix for the moment , what colour would you lads suggest ???

Not to sure if it would suit the car but if any one has pics please pop them up so I can have a nose at them , any help appreciated

hi mate

where are you? i wrap cars for a living, could do yours for you? :) i can pop up a few links for examples of work if you like, wrapped a few 5s but never an electric blue

James5
08-01-2013, 08:27
Not electric blue but I had my tungy 5 roof and windscreen surround done as the roof blends into the surround done a few years back in 3m carbon effect carbon wrap had it done professionally looked ok but it doesn't have the same gloss effect as the proper carbon that has been laquered, it had a textured effect as if you rubbed your hand on it you could feel the weave.

Markey B's brothers was as Graeme says checkered white and black and I think it was vinyl he had the wing mirrors done also.

I will try and find a few more pic's and upload so you can see it

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=1662&pictureid=6958

gttjames
08-01-2013, 08:48
Just do the roof in matt - would look good i think. And quick fix, then paint in future

markey b
08-01-2013, 08:52
Markey B's brothers was as Graeme says checkered white and black and I think it was vinyl he had the wing mirrors done also.

yes indeed, mirrors were painted and roof was vinyl, i still have the mirrors if anyone wants them :laugh:

TopCat
08-01-2013, 09:29
For the cost of getting carbon vinyl fitted, u could get it sprayed mate. Or rub it all down and have a go yourself?

Matt Cole
08-01-2013, 12:55
How much woukld wrapping a five be these days?

markey b
08-01-2013, 13:16
How much woukld wrapping a five be these days?

probably over a grand, i think its almost comparable to a reasonable respray

James5
08-01-2013, 13:29
probably over a grand, i think its almost comparable to a reasonable respray

I had a quote about 20mths ago now when I had my roof done and I was looking @ around £1500 for a full exterior wrap and that was an RTOC member whom done it for a living not sure he is on here much or even a member now.

The roof and windscreen surround cost me £210.00 all in and they did do a very good job

TopCat
08-01-2013, 14:03
A good friend of mine does vinyl wrapping for a living- said he'd wrap a car for me at mates rates for £800. Apparently its a tedious job and if the paint is ****e underneath it'll show through the vinyl.

A carbon wrapped five would look out of hand though!

gttjames
08-01-2013, 15:50
Ifs effectively a sticker, and on any un even surface, rust/dents will show up. But if the paints just past it dull/swirly then wrap will be fine over the top. It is abit of a tedius job - 800 is a good price - providing finish is good. I have seen some very bad wrap jobs even on 50/60k gtr's!

A 5 would be easy to wrap as small panels and flat, only problem area would be the slats in front and rear bumper's

TopCat
08-01-2013, 16:35
Yeah I imagine the front bumper would be a joy to do as well! :P

greggtt
08-01-2013, 18:34
[QUOTE=greggtt;308092]Has anyone Wrapped their roof on an electric blue five before ? The paint is done on my roof , I've cut it to death but comes back white in no time , just thought of a cheap fix for the moment , what colour would you lads suggest ???

hi mate

where are you? i wrap cars for a living, could do yours for you? :) i can pop up a few links for examples of work if you like, wrapped a few 5s but never an electric blue

North East Scotland mate , don't think it'll be worth the trip;)

greggtt
08-01-2013, 18:35
Not electric blue but I had my tungy 5 roof and windscreen surround done as the roof blends into the surround done a few years back in 3m carbon effect carbon wrap had it done professionally looked ok but it doesn't have the same gloss effect as the proper carbon that has been laquered, it had a textured effect as if you rubbed your hand on it you could feel the weave.

I will try and find a few more pic's and upload so you can see it

Cheers appreciate it

greggtt
08-01-2013, 18:36
For the cost of getting carbon vinyl fitted, u could get it sprayed mate. Or rub it all down and have a go yourself?

Not brave enough mate , Might try wrapping it myself though. How's your one getting on, progress is looking good.

greggtt
08-01-2013, 18:39
Apparently its a tedious job and if the paint is ****e underneath it'll show through the vinyl.

I resent that comment :D but true , seems flat enough though so might get away with it , amount of cutting compound I used I'm surprised it isn't through to the metal!!!!!

greggtt
08-01-2013, 18:43
I had a quote about 20mths ago now when I had my roof done and I was looking @ around £1500 for a full exterior wrap and that was an RTOC member whom done it for a living not sure he is on here much or even a member now.

The roof and windscreen surround cost me £210.00 all in and they did do a very good job

Quite reasonable , but can't find any body local who would come to me and do it , did think about a blow over but matching it to the rest of the car would be a nightmare, looks like I better look out the good lady's hair dryer and have a crack at it , wish me luck !!!

TopCat
08-01-2013, 19:32
Not brave enough mate , Might try wrapping it myself though. How's your one getting on, progress is looking good.

I had a go sign writing my van with my mate- he'd done one side by the time I done the door. It's a definite art form wrapping a car mate- I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself. You'll end up doubling your money by paying for the vinyl twice

My 5's getting there nicely cheers pal. Couple of slight tweaking to do and its done.

Could u not mop your roof to get a bit of shine back?

ren_5hitbox
08-01-2013, 20:35
[QUOTE=ren_5hitbox;308107]

North East Scotland mate , don't think it'll be worth the trip;)

haha no defo not worth the trip buddy, sorry i cant help :)

that 3M carbon was originally used to office furniture table tops, office desks etc
used to suggest to 3m about wrapping cars with it and they used to laugh at us...... and now they sell it as carbon effect wrap film lol

i can get vinyl pretty cheap so if anyone wants me to do anything in the future just give me a shout :agree:

ren_5hitbox
08-01-2013, 20:35
that was supposed to be a sad face at the top lol sorry :(

dangerous dave
08-01-2013, 22:40
£1500 to stick a wrap on my car that they pay next to feck all for.. i watch a video and im thinking they value there time at £250 a day to stick that stuff on..

with every full car wrap they must fit the owner with one of these
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/13f06dc23638d30cebe66268a59ed675/l.jpg

ren_5hitbox
08-01-2013, 23:14
£1500 to stick a wrap on my car that they pay next to feck all for.. i watch a video and im thinking they value there time at £250 a day to stick that stuff on..

with every full car wrap they must fit the owner with one of these
http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/13f06dc23638d30cebe66268a59ed675/l.jpg

haha i wrapped a guys bentley for 3 grand cash in london once!! wouldnt mind a few of them a month :D

rs250nut
08-01-2013, 23:33
I find it crazy that people are willing to sometimes spend more money on a wrap than a proper paint job, and people you wrap cars earn more than a painter. The finish you get with vinyl in never as good as paint either.

ren_5hitbox
08-01-2013, 23:45
I find it crazy that people are willing to sometimes spend more money on a wrap than a proper paint job, and people you wrap cars earn more than a painter. The finish you get with vinyl in never as good as paint either.

obviously im going to defend it because its what i do, but there are some new amazing vinyls out which look as good as paint work. i do a lot of wraps for racingline and various other teams and they strip their vehicles of all the pain and get me to wrap it because apparently its also a lot light, plus they legaly cant race till ive put all the sponsorship stickers on etc

but if i had and wanted to change the colour completely id have it sprayed (thats if i wasnt in the trade), but bonus of a wrap is you dont have to tell dvla beause its classed as a temp colour change because the car is still its original colour, but i always let my insurance company know

greggtt
09-01-2013, 00:17
I had a go sign writing my van with my mate- he'd done one side by the time I done the door. It's a definite art form wrapping a car mate- I wouldn't recommend you do it yourself. You'll end up doubling your money by paying for the vinyl twice

My 5's getting there nicely cheers pal. Couple of slight tweaking to do and its done.

Could u not mop your roof to get a bit of shine back?

Tried it but just too far gone bud , might look into blackboard paint , matt look and cheap as :D