PDA

View Full Version : Problem with copper core radiator

Thorneyr5
18-12-2008, 23:28
I recently purchased a copper core radiator from cgb. When i went to fit it i noticed that it would not fit properly as the bottom port was too low and was obstructed by the front engine mount.
I contacted cgb and they said to send it back and they would take a look. Afew days later i phoned them and they said that it wouldnt fit and they have got on to nissens who supplied it to them to find out the problem. After a week or so i asked to have my money refunded as i was in desperate need of a rad.
I then ordered one from GFS and low and behold when it arrived it was a nissens rad that once again didnt fit due to the same problem.
It may be common knowledge that these are a problem but im completly stuck now as i need a copper rad but am under the impression theres are the only manufactures of them .
Can anyone please help me ?

Mart
18-12-2008, 23:38
Yeah, don't fit a copper rad. Period. They're a pile of sh1te.

The standard/o.e jobby (that GSF also sell) is perfectly fine & upto the job, even when ragging around on track.

Again, Renault had it spot on in the first place...

Thorneyr5
18-12-2008, 23:43
cheers fot the advice. I get the impression from almost everyone that the copper core ones are ****. Just out of curiousity apart from them not fitting what is the problem with them?

Mart
18-12-2008, 23:51
At best they're nearly on par with the (already good) cooling efficiency of the o.e rad'. At worst, they're terrible. Their long term durability is somewhat questionable as well.

Tiny Tim
18-12-2008, 23:53
Top hose inlet= rusty rusty resulting in breaky breaky and leaky leaky. Not so goody goody.

Thorneyr5
18-12-2008, 23:55
well cheers for that . Saved me some ballache in the future . Glad it didnt fit now . Will be buying a standard one tomorrow:)

markey b
19-12-2008, 03:00
my valeo one from GSF was £40 brand new...... why bother with copper core?

my bro's 5 has a copper one that is gonna get replaced with a std one asap!

dgdogz
19-12-2008, 09:17
i gor a copper core on from cgb and it was fine
i wish i had bought an alloy one now but apart from me changing my mind all the time the thing has given me no problems at all

:)

tom t
19-12-2008, 16:18
ud be luck to get one from gsf for £40 bob now think when i looked at getting one it was like £140. so i ended up getting the copper core 1 for about a ton i think

Sparkie
19-12-2008, 16:40
£132 +vat to be precise. the joys of the euro - £ hike....

dangerous dave
19-12-2008, 16:58
£132 +vat to be precise. the joys of the euro - £ hike....

fooook

lucky i have 2 spare rads with fans £80 each if anyone needs one:p

my copper one was ok, but after removing the top hose a few times the joint started to split:crap: its not better than oe cuz it doesn't like being handled:disagree:

wrightygtt
19-12-2008, 18:10
very true, I've just bought a new copper core rad, and their fragile as fook, my last one had the oil cooler connections leaking badly, my fault entirely, as I rehoused the rad for a front mount intercooler, but it doesn't take a lot for them to start falling to pieces. I then opted for another mainly because it only cost me 112.00 including postage and packing from a lass on ebay.:dearme: So if anything goes wrong with this one i'll blame myself for not getting the standard jobby.

Trevhib
19-12-2008, 18:23
i gor a copper core on from cgb and it was fine
i wish i had bought an alloy one now but apart from me changing my mind all the time the thing has given me no problems at all

:)

that you know of :)

TNT Tricky Nicky
20-12-2008, 11:28
on the old site if you search copper core rads all you found was threads slating them, i fell for the sales talk about improved cooling blah blah blah, it broke, done the search and found out i'd wasted my money

Frix
20-12-2008, 12:47
ive got a copper core rad, not had a problem yet!

Brigsy
20-12-2008, 12:57
Was the pipe for the top rad hose at the wrong angle on the nissens rad? mine nearly fouls the oil cooler pipe, crappy fit.

Next one ill get will be a valeo o.e, miles better than the copper core crap.

wrightygtt
20-12-2008, 13:07
Plus maybe i'm having a blonde moment, but on the copper core rads, you can't fill up the coolant into the radiator when flushing the system, like on the o.e item?

Brigsy
20-12-2008, 13:32
Your having a blonde moment mate;) there's no rad cap on the o.e rad.

wrightygtt
20-12-2008, 16:23
tbh its been over 4 years since i've seen a standard jobby, just going by the instructions in the haynes, when I was bleeding the system it mentioned filling the coolant back through rad cap, I just strapped the Header up higher and let it in that way.:)

Shane P
20-12-2008, 16:45
it mentioned filling the coolant back through rad cap

They dont have rad caps do they?

Gttnutter
20-12-2008, 17:37
They dont have rad caps do they?

:agree:

when i had to replace mine i went for the gsf valeo worth the extra few pennies

the previous copper one which was not to old had cracked on the top hose outlet which is normal with these after time

old skool turbo power
20-12-2008, 18:09
I recently purchased a copper core radiator from cgb. When i went to fit it i noticed that it would not fit properly as the bottom port was too low and was obstructed by the front engine mount.
I contacted cgb and they said to send it back and they would take a look. Afew days later i phoned them and they said that it wouldnt fit and they have got on to nissens who supplied it to them to find out the problem. After a week or so i asked to have my money refunded as i was in desperate need of a rad.
I then ordered one from GFS and low and behold when it arrived it was a nissens rad that once again didnt fit due to the same problem.
It may be common knowledge that these are a problem but im completly stuck now as i need a copper rad but am under the impression theres are the only manufactures of them .
Can anyone please help me ?

i had the same problem as you mate the std one i had was old and the oil cooler had packed in and leaked i got it presuerd tested just to make sure.i got a copper core rad and when i come to fit it,it was abit of a tight squeeze to say the least. about 3 months later i had another leak????looked underneath the rad and seen it was leaking in the end the bottom hose outlet had been rubbing against the engine mount and caused a grove (due to vibration i guess).i went out and got a valo one and noticed the copper rad bottom outlet was slighty longer than the valo one??werid i know gutted tho a 100 pound down the drain only a 3 month old rad as well !imo id say the valo rads are just the same as the copper core i found if not better

markey b
20-12-2008, 18:14
ud be luck to get one from gsf for £40 bob now think when i looked at getting one it was like £140. so i ended up getting the copper core 1 for about a ton i think

i got it august this year... i do have a mate that works there tho ;)

dgdogz
20-12-2008, 19:22
jus a hijack while were on teh radiator topic

anyone know if alloy ones are better?
were you can buy them?
and how much they cost?

thank youuuuuuuu

Mart
21-12-2008, 08:51
Define 'better'.

I've already mentioned the o.e one is perfectly fine & upto the job, even when ragging your car on track, lap after lap.

Trevhib
21-12-2008, 12:04
ive got a copper core rad, not had a problem yet!

I don't get these type of comments on threads like this. What is the point? Are you saying to people out there who are looking to buy a rad that despite the mass of bad experience in the club over the last ten years, it may in fact be ok to buy a copper core one because you've got one and haven't had a problem with it? This sort of thing doesn't help anyone. :sad2: If not that then what? Are you looking for folk to congratulate you on your good fortune? :rolleyes: If so, well done, no-one's begrduging you that. :agree:

Shane P
21-12-2008, 12:14
I imagine he was just offering a different opinion on them after owning one and not having any problems with it (yet). I dont think he really minds what other people buy, just offering his thoughts :)

Andrew Cooke
21-12-2008, 12:16
I don't get these type of comments on threads like this. What is the point? Are you saying to people out there who are looking to buy a rad that despite the mass of bad experience in the club over the last ten years, it may in fact be ok to buy a copper core one because you've got one and haven't had a problem with it? This sort of thing doesn't help anyone. :sad2: If not that then what? Are you looking for folk to congratulate you on your good fortune? :rolleyes: If so, well done, no-one's begrduging you that. :agree:

he just wants us to remember him in our prayers

Trevhib
21-12-2008, 12:31
I imagine he was just offering a different opinion on them after owning one and not having any problems with it (yet). I dont think he really minds what other people buy, just offering his thoughts :)

I see your point mate.

However, it's not a thought, it's an experience, a seemingly good one with a copper rad but that offers no discernible benefit to anyone. How old is the rad, which make is it, what coolant does he use with it, how many miles has been done with it in situ...

All it does is show that not all copper rads go bad immediately but then that obvious fact hardly needs articulating. Well, not IMO anyway.