PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Front Discs

LiamR
03-01-2013, 22:18
I put my new front discs on a few months ago and haven't touched the five for a while. It's not road ready, going through a restoration.

I popped out to the garage earlier today and the discs look like they are ready to be scrapped!!!

Soooo

1 - what is the best way to clean them up?

2 - how can I stop them rusting again?? Pop a bag on them maybe???

JRP
03-01-2013, 22:24
I put my new front discs on a few months ago and haven't touched the five for a while. It's not road ready, going through a restoration.

I popped out to the garage earlier today and the discs look like they are ready to be scrapped!!!

Soooo

1 - what is the best way to clean them up?

2 - how can I stop them rusting again?? Pop a bag on them maybe???

A bag would collect moisture more, if its stood for ages like mine they go rusty, rub them down a bit of sand paper... Nothing to corse...

People will disagree with me prob but I've done that and had no issues.

Brigsy
03-01-2013, 22:37
Dont worry about it, it will wear off when the brakes are used. Works ok when new cars are left outside for months before sold.

Tony Walker
04-01-2013, 00:09
cheap discs corrode much faster too :( if its in for restoration best bet is to leave them off clean them up and coat them in something oily/waxy then degrease when fitting.

Alex
04-01-2013, 07:59
If they're already on the car just drive it and they'll clean up in no time :)

Mart
04-01-2013, 09:27
:agree:

markey b
04-01-2013, 10:14
if your a bit anal like me i always give new discs a degrease then a coat of silver paint, then they wont rust once on, and when you brake for the 1st time it takes the paint off the braking surfaces :)

LiamR
04-01-2013, 11:28
Cheers lads. Quality advice as ever :)

GT Josh
04-01-2013, 15:40
Lol like Brigsy said just drive it and brake some. They'll looks shiny new after a couple mile :D

J$£5GTT
05-01-2013, 21:33
if there real bad clean them up with the angle grinder with wire wheel first then drive,because you can get rusty crud on the pads which can score the discs..:crap:

:D