PDA

View Full Version : R5 GT Turbo c1j Engine rebuild (H330 UAA)

Romil Davda
31-12-2012, 12:11
In true RTOC fashion, I have started this thread before looking or searching to see what is already out there on the boards :ashamed: but here we go...!!!

Following on from the below thread, I will be rebuilding a R5 GT Turbo c1j engine :sad2::

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31311 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31311)

Set up before: car made 186bhp
Full T25 Rover tomcat turbo (19psi),
Low comp pistons,
Cam currently unknown (will check once opened up bottom end), has uprated valve springs, so I assume it's not standard,
Double cap I/C,
BMS downpipe, with I think 2 1/2 inch side exit (will check size)

I want 200/220bhp :D (reliable power) for a daily drive which I can take on the track.
I have the following:

2 engines - 1 is ok (previous one) and other on above thread. Will be rebuilding the ok engine and block is mashed mashed on second one. 1st engine has standard pistons... Will this be ok?
Full T25 Rover tomcat turbo (not fussed about psi, assuming I can put the power down),
BMS Downpipe, with 2 1/2 inch side exit,
Raceland Tubular manifold (although happy to run standard),
Uprated fuel pump,
2 heads, 1 standard, other unknown!

Too get:
Front Mounted I/C
285 cam (unless advised otherwise?) - Will check what's in car currently first.
Vernier Pulley (Need someone to explain how this works and the benifit, something about dialling in the cam :confused:)
New Uprated valve springs? (or can I reuse what I have - I want to do this on the cheap but will get what is needed)

Too get (Engine):
Rings
Oil pump
Timing chain (unless this comes with the pulley above?)
Bid end
Journal bearing (main) crankshaft
Head bolts
HG set
Sump gasket
Oil filter
Oil and coolant
New plugs and fuel filter (???)

Is the above list correct? Have I got too much or missed anything out? Where do I get the bits from? How much am I looking to spend, on each item if poss, total if not? :scratch: Also as mentioned above, will be using standard pistons from 1st engine.

P.S. Once above is on order, I will look more closely at the head to see what, if any work has been done and also at the inlet manifold. As I have more or less 2 engines to pick apart, should I look at the cranks to see if there is any work been done?

Thanks for your time and trouble peeps, hugs and kisses me x :cool:

:p Happy New (engine) Year :p

Brigsy
31-12-2012, 15:58
Standard comp pistons will be fine for your desired power level mate:agree:

car.crash
31-12-2012, 19:44
Why not just buy Glenn's engine and chuck that in?
I remember picking up a engine for £70 and I caned the arse off it everywhere and got nearly 200bhp out of it. Your going to struggle to get one that cheap but a freshly rebuilt one is more what you need.

Dave Reed
31-12-2012, 19:55
Why not just buy Glenn's engine and chuck that in?
I remember picking up a engine for £70 and I caned the arse off it everywhere and got nearly 200bhp out of it. Your going to struggle to get one that cheap but a freshly rebuilt one is more what you need.

Ill 2nd that get a built one, much easier, chuck a cam in n you'll be quids in I reckon

Dave Reed
31-12-2012, 19:58
Or go F series

Romil Davda
02-01-2013, 10:39
Cheers lads... will discuss further at the Surrey meet :)

Romil Davda
27-01-2013, 18:59
Bit of progress today...

Build up head: Cleaned up chambers, cleaned valves, ground the valves in, put on springs with washers + collates and put on inlet and exhaust manifolds (before and after pics of head attached)

Bottoms end: Started to clean up bottom end (purchased for £50 from KentRaider :niceone:), need to put on clutch and crank pulley, plus dizzy thing and oil drain hose. Too bits of old engine BUT as I was putting on the crank pulley, liner number 4 started to lift :sad2:.

I guess this means replacing the liner seal? How would I do this?
Take off sump and remove big end bearings (holding rod onto crank). Then lift out the liner with the piston in it, replace seal and drop everything back? :scratch:

Romil Davda
27-01-2013, 19:00
Clean(ish)

gttjames
27-01-2013, 22:21
nice romil - have you measured the head to see how thick it is? Any signs of port work etc?

Have you pulled your cam out yet to see what it is?

Romil Davda
19-02-2013, 15:31
(UPDATE:
Second hand bottom end swapped over, my uncle and I lifted out the mashed up block (pic attached with hole) and put in second hand block from KentRaider (pick of replaced block). Head went on with no issues, although had a nightmare with the tappet rail. Put on all auxiliaries, water bottle, hoes, oil breather, etc...

Cranked engine with king lead off to get oil around. Then put on king lead and tried to fire it. I forgot to connect the TDC sensor to the aei unit! Connected TDC sensor and cranked it but this time no fuel. Had to tap the fuel relay to engage. Car fired but ran very badly and carb top spat out some flames. Uncle said firing order is wrong and he was right. Changed the leads on the spark plugs and the baby fired up... Ran up to temp but then stopped as I have lost the accelerator cable spring! Also, the oil breather from the swirl post (that T-'s into the carb base) I think needs looking at, as this goes to air and the car runs better when this is blocked off.

All in all, I've had a great time taking the engine apart and putting it back together. Will let you know how the first test drive goes.

James5
19-02-2013, 15:46
(UPDATE:
Second hand bottom end swapped over, my uncle and I lifted out the mashed up block (pic attached with hole) and put in second hand block from KentRaider (pick of replaced block). Head went on with no issues, although had a nightmare with the tappet rail. Put on all auxiliaries, water bottle, hoes, oil breather, etc...

Cranked engine with king lead off to get oil around. Then put on king lead and tried to fire it. I forgot to connect the TDC sensor to the aei unit! Connected TDC sensor and cranked it but this time no fuel. Had to tap the fuel relay to engage. Car fired but ran very badly and carb top spat out some flames. Uncle said firing order is wrong and he was right. Changed the leads on the spark plugs and the baby fired up... Ran up to temp but then stopped as I have lost the accelerator cable spring! Also, the oil breather from the swirl post (that T-'s into the carb base) I think needs looking at, as this goes to air and the car runs better when this is blocked off.

All in all, I've had a great time taking the engine apart and putting it back together. Will let you know how the first test drive goes.

At least you have got it back and running well done matey :agree:

if it's OE breather setup it will need a restrictor inline

kentraider
19-02-2013, 15:55
(UPDATE:

well done romil......go on my son glad to be of help with the bottom end for ya :-)

Slammed 66
19-02-2013, 16:50
Well done romil :agree:

TNT ANDY
19-02-2013, 18:34
Good on ya Rom - I'm proud of you, you and Logg both have filthy engine bays - I love you guys, you make mine look good LOL.

Tony Walker
19-02-2013, 19:58
Great stuff :D

car.crash
19-02-2013, 20:01
Good on ya Rom - I'm proud of you, you and Logg both have filthy engine bays - I love you guys, you make mine look good LOL.

Logg will bum you for that. His white 5 was rank but the blue is clean.

Nottswoody
19-02-2013, 20:03
Greatstuff romil :)

philr5t
19-02-2013, 20:03
Well done mate

R5MJH
19-02-2013, 20:13
well done mate we might make a mechanic out of you yet boy

Romil Davda
03-03-2013, 19:43
Fitted accelerator spring, had to change the bracket on the inlet as there was not tension when the spring was fitted. Had a problem with the oil breather but a little text to James5 and he told me how to set this up, plastic bottle as a catch tank!

Just drove the car home 30 miles with no issues. Kept it under 3000 revs, will do 500miles then change the oil and filter plus re-torque head bolts and do the valve clearance again. Then up the boost a little :rolleyes:.

I got a huge smile on my face :D

car.crash
03-03-2013, 19:45
Just in time for race night on Thursday

gttjames
03-03-2013, 19:48
Fitted accelerator spring, had to change the bracket on the inlet as there was not tension when the spring was fitted. Had a problem with the oil breather but a little text to James5 and he told me how to set this up, plastic bottle as a catch tank!

Just drove the car home 30 miles with no issues. Kept it under 3000 revs, will do 500miles then change the oil and filter plus re-torque head bolts and do the valve clearance again. Then up the boost a little :rolleyes:.

i built mine up flushing with oil, run it and then dumped oil and filter. Then did 500miles and was going to do oil and filter and turbo went. Keep on those oil changes, turbo filter?

TNT ANDY
03-03-2013, 20:04

Good work Romil - glad to see you've got there:agree::agree::agree:

Nottswoody
03-03-2013, 20:06
Great stuff romil :)

Gttnutter
04-03-2013, 07:15
Just give it some Barry from the off romil, never mind that 500 miles of soft pedalling.

James5
04-03-2013, 07:59
Just give it some Barry from the off romil, never mind that 500 miles of soft pedalling.

:laugh: That's what i told him todo if it's going to break it will do it from the off