PDA

View Full Version : Help yet again

fossie
28-12-2012, 14:33
Car drove fine. Parked it up and it's been stood for a few days.
Went to get in it today and it won't start now prior to today I could usually hear the fuel pump kick in on ignition but today there was nothing.
Now once I released the key after trying to start I then heard the pump make quite a strange noise and then stop.

Tried this a few times. Same thing. Couldn't hear the pump and then when I released the key heard the pump whirr/squeal for a few seconds.

Now I'm learning with this car which I don't mind so any advice probably with pics would help loads.

Regards in advance
Lee

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2012, 14:36
Pump sounds like its working normally, it will only work once the engines cranking and will run for few seconds after cranking
Check the accelerator pump jet lever isn't stuck, that'll cause the car to be a right pig to start

fossie
28-12-2012, 14:38
The what and what.
Sorry Mark but to put it bluntly I'm thick as ****.
Where is this and ill check

michael tierney
28-12-2012, 14:39
pump will run for a second or two after key release.........take off ur distributer cap and check for dampness in side and on rotor!

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2012, 14:44
The what and what.
Sorry Mark but to put it bluntly I'm thick as ****.
Where is this and ill check

On the drivers side of the carb you'll see a lever near the base (towards the front), when you move the accelerator this leaver should move too. Have a check, if its not lub it up abit to free it off and get it moving

fossie
28-12-2012, 15:41
Cheers for the replies guys. Thanks for explaining sounds easy enough to do. Anything else to check

fossie
28-12-2012, 20:08
Just to let you all know came back from shopping and tried my luck. Jiggled with the things you said Mark and also noticed that the king lead was a bit of a **** fit on the distributer.

She fired up straight away. Thanks guys.
Keep your eyes peeled open for my next problem

fossie
28-12-2012, 20:18
On the drivers side of the carb you'll see a lever near the base (towards the front), when you move the accelerator this leaver should move too. Have a check, if its not lub it up abit to free it off and get it moving

Is that the one with big spring buddy or the little one in the bottom drivers side of the carb with a smaller spring to the side of it.

If its the latter this is the one I juggled about a bit.

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2012, 20:26
Is that the one with big spring buddy or the little one in the bottom drivers side of the carb with a smaller spring to the side of it.

If its the latter this is the one I juggled about a bit.

Its the little one that looks like it sits under the front of the carb and attached to a lever on side of the carb

Glad it started, always the simple things that stop them starting