PDA

View Full Version : Problem with sidelights

fossie
28-12-2012, 12:05
Simple really the sidelights won't come on. New bulbs. Light comes on the dash but no lights. Dipped works fine.

Anyone know where the wiring tends to go on these as there is nothing obvious to me.
Regards
Lee

gttjames
28-12-2012, 12:10
just get a multimeter or 12v test lamp and trace wirring back

fossie
28-12-2012, 12:16
Ill get someone to do this for ,e as I'm absolutely ****e when it comes to electrics lol. Do the connectors just come straight from the loom on the lights. Everything is still wrapped as standard although I did remove an aftermarket HID kit which was crap

fossie
28-12-2012, 12:21
Is there anything that should connect on that cylinder under the expansion tank

Nick k
28-12-2012, 12:47
That's the air compressor for the horn under the expansion bottle bracket. Do the rear lights and number plate bulbs come on when the switch is on side lights??

fossie
28-12-2012, 12:54
That's the air compressor for the horn under the expansion bottle bracket. Do the rear lights and number plate bulbs come on when the switch is on side lights??

Yes buddy they do

fossie
28-12-2012, 13:10
Could the connectors be dirty? When I got the car I replaced the bulbs however there were bulbs in their which I assumed had blown. I ain't got a multi meter to test them at the moment either.

Nick k
28-12-2012, 13:20
It must be a problem at the front of the car then i suspect, the front side light are supplied from the blocks connectors in the drivers and passenger kick well, then down to the front left and right of the vehicle, where there are two little 2 pin black connectors poking through under the head light. You might need a multimeter to check for power on them, Im sure the side light fuse protects the whole circuit not just the front but worth a check,

Another thought is they may get split in the light switch assembley and could be causing the fault, but unlikely..

Nick k
28-12-2012, 13:22
Could the connectors be dirty? When I got the car I replaced the bulbs however there were bulbs in their which I assumed had blown. I ain't got a multi meter to test them at the moment either.

wd40 the connector and plug in, pull out, plug in afew times with the lights, if there is power should aleast flicker.....

fossie
28-12-2012, 13:31
It must be a problem at the front of the car then i suspect, the front side light are supplied from the blocks connectors in the drivers and passenger kick well, then down to the front left and right of the vehicle, where there are two little 2 pin black connectors poking through under the head light. You might need a multimeter to check for power on them, Im sure the side light fuse protects the whole circuit not just the front but worth a check,

Another thought is they may get split in the light switch assembley and could be causing the fault, but unlikely..

I checked the fuse and the whole lights are protected by the one fuse. Unless I'm wrong and there's a separate fuse for the sides

Jonny5
28-12-2012, 13:43
Try pulling the bulb out a little from the holder.

Mr Raider
28-12-2012, 15:01
Check black connectors behind the headlight, bit of contact cleaner/wd40 if not, also check bulb holder as Johnny said, had this problem with mine, if not could be another connector or wiring issue, could be bad earth where earth wire bolted to head light panel, undo, clean up behind bolt, and bolt then refit

fossie
28-12-2012, 20:09
Check black connectors behind the headlight, bit of contact cleaner/wd40 if not, also check bulb holder as Johnny said, had this problem with mine, if not could be another connector or wiring issue, could be bad earth where earth wire bolted to head light panel, undo, clean up behind bolt, and bolt then refit

Not seeing no earth wire on either of the headlights Karl. Any pics of where it should be

Jonny5
28-12-2012, 20:11
Not seeing no earth wire on either of the headlights Karl. Any pics of where it should be

Under each lamp is a bolt with each headlamp wiring loom earth to it.

fossie
28-12-2012, 20:15
Under each lamp is a bolt with each headlamp wiring loom earth to it.

Is it the same earth for the main lights?
Also do you have to take the headlight out to find this earth.
Sorry if it sounds a dumb question buddy

Jonny5
28-12-2012, 20:21
Is it the same earth for the main lights?
Also do you have to take the headlight out to find this earth.
Sorry if it sounds a dumb question buddy

Yeah same loom for main lights.
Yes mate you will need to remove headlamp to get to earth its bolted to the headlamp mounting panel like below :)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u410/JonnyR5-2008/image-2_zps871b8b97.jpg

fossie
28-12-2012, 20:43
Yeah same loom for main lights.
Yes mate you will need to remove headlamp to get to earth its bolted to the headlamp mounting panel like below :)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u410/JonnyR5-2008/image-2_zps871b8b97.jpg

Wouldn't this stop the dipped lights working as well?

Nick k
28-12-2012, 21:10
Earth terminal is common to all, so if it was that you would have no lights ( Dipper/Main) period. Your fault does'nt make sense :confused: they should be working.... You should have a black connector which plugs into the side light buld holder which has a push in bulb affair with two little metal wings on the bulb itself which connect to the metal contacts in the holder.. Simple. I may lose sleep over this :D

fossie
28-12-2012, 21:23
Earth terminal is common to all, so if it was that you would have no lights ( Dipper/Main) period. Your fault does'nt make sense :confused: they should be working.... You should have a black connector which plugs into the side light buld holder which has a push in bulb affair with two little metal wings on the bulb itself which connect to the metal contacts in the holder.. Simple. I may lose sleep over this :D

That's it buddy and exactly what I thought. Bulbs in hew presto.
Ill try that thing suggested earlier and try pulling the bulb up slightly. Other than that and getting a multimeter I don't know what to do really.

At least she starts now tho...

fossie
29-12-2012, 13:05
You are all heros yet again.
One side needed a new connector the old one was well goosed so replaced that with new wiring and connectors. Other side just needed a decent clean. All working now.

Cheers people.