PDA

View Full Version : I had a White Christmas... White bloody smoke!!!

Romil Davda
27-12-2012, 15:15
This is how the story goes...

Driving down a country lane, with 2 cars in front... I'm in third gear and the road opens out. I put my foot down to overtake the first car. I pulled level, had my foot fully down and on full boost there was but too much power, as had a little wheels spin! I lifted off a tad, power back on and the car popped out of 3rd gear and BANG :eek:... Looked in the rear view mirror to see white smoke pouring out the exhaust and I lost power. Coasted to a layby and started crying :cry: (not really).

Car would crank over but not fire... Opened the bonnet and had a load of oil over rad fan and over the front left of the engine (by the water pump) and had lost half a litre of water. I topped up the water and check the oil. After 10mins, I got the car to start up but ran very lumpy. I nursed it to my uncles house about 2miles, at 30mph and smoking badly :ashamed:. Once car warmed up, the white smoke got worse but was at my destination!

I had turned the boost down a little from 20psi to 16, ARF was bang on 12.1 (at 16psi) but did get a little boost spike and would leaned out, for second or so. i recon I have done damage because of over-fuelling or over revving? Revlimiter set to 7k, don't know what can I got!

Plan:
· Order up gasket set (I hope just the head gasket is needed but just in case) and head bolts before weekend - What gasket sets do people recommend? Where from? and how much?
· Take off head on Saturday morning. Will be done in Princes Risborough if anyone is about?
· Assess damage and order bits if needed. I got my old engine that has been sat in the garden for nearly a year, don't know if I can use this as water has gone down the inlet manifold (no carb). Also got loads go spare bits but want to build it to last.
· Get car on the road ASAP!

Diagnosis so far based on hearsay :scratch: (one of the below):
1. Head gasket
2. dropped valve
3. Piston/bottom end damage

Anyone got anymore to add to the list of 'what could be wrong' or 'why it happened'? Correct answers will win the original Group A cork as featured in the 300bhp beast!

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31162 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31162)

Markey Mark (BD)
27-12-2012, 15:18
I'll be about Saturday mate if want to pop over and have alook

philr5t
27-12-2012, 16:03
Head gasket or liner mate I reckon

James5
27-12-2012, 16:18

Bottom end's knocking aswell :cry:

Slammed 66
27-12-2012, 16:19

Unfortunately I'd go with the above.

Get your engine up and running again and build your spare up as good strong motor to eventually replace it.

Ross

philr5t
27-12-2012, 16:49
Bottom end's knocking aswell :cry:

Or does it just sound like the bottom ends gone cause the car is running lumpy and misfiring where the gaskets gone

Romil Davda
27-12-2012, 16:57
Or does it just sound like the bottom ends gone cause the car is running lumpy and misfiring where the gaskets gone

I bloody hope so...!

I also suspect that Phil is correct (previous post), but we shall see :scared:

gardner51
27-12-2012, 17:19
Lets hope you havnt dropped a valve. I did it last month.

New pistons. Liner. Head, ect ect :(

Alex
27-12-2012, 18:49
If it's knocking you may have spun a shell? :(

GT Josh
27-12-2012, 19:03
Deffo sound alike a liner mate as they usually give way on booooooost

jesus in the seat of a 5
27-12-2012, 20:09
Deffo sound alike a liner mate as they usually give way on booooooost

have to say my money is on a liner too, all the sounds and all the syptoms..:agree:

GTphil
27-12-2012, 21:27
You won't get white smoke off just spinning a shell, unless the piston has picked up on the liner, seen that happen randomly before. Hence shell/piston/liner and white smoke:(

just taking off the rocker should give you a good idea if it's dropped a valve or not. I can't see it to be fair unless it's snapped dropped in and wango'd the piston/liner.

either way time to get the spanners out;)

Romil Davda
28-12-2012, 11:44
Thanks for the posts guys...

I will take off the head Saturday morning but if you guys are right, I wont be putting it back together this weekend! That was me hoping it was just a HD gasket :sad2:

If it is a liner or a dropped valve, what is required? Replace liner? put in new valve? Will I need to skim the head? Is this an engine out job or can this be done in situ?

I know I should ask the above once I have the head off and actually know what the problem is... TBH I am not in a rush, just really excited as this will be my first bit of real engine work (Very sad I know).

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2012, 11:48
Pull the head off mate and if you unsure I could pop over and see what's gone wrong

Romil Davda
28-12-2012, 11:49
I'll be about Saturday mate if want to pop over and have alook

Cheers Mark :agree:, I will be at my uncles house and working on the car from 9am, if your about.

Alex
28-12-2012, 13:21
You won't get white smoke off just spinning a shell, unless the piston has picked up on the liner, seen that happen randomly before. Hence shell/piston/liner and white smoke:(

just taking off the rocker should give you a good idea if it's dropped a valve or not. I can't see it to be fair unless it's snapped dropped in and wango'd the piston/liner.

either way time to get the spanners out;)

I mentioned the shell as the engines knocking ;)

The smoke could well be a split liner as mentioned - mine made A LOT of steam/smoke when I cracked one :laugh:

Good luck Romil, I'm sure you'll have it sorted :agree:

R5MJH
28-12-2012, 13:55
when my old tungy did the liner it drank water like it was going out of fashion i think its done the hg but theres a chance its done a valve too best to get it stripped 1st to see good luck romil

Markey Mark (BD)
28-12-2012, 14:33
I recon he's done a piston if he's got oil all over the front of the engine

gttjames
29-12-2012, 00:04
well by sounds of it somethings clearly gone and should be easy to spot if its smoking that much. When mine gave me issues it only started to loose coolant very slowly, mine turned out to be a tiny pin prick hole in liner which wasn't noticeable until the liners where removed.

GT Josh
29-12-2012, 00:31
Are there any holes in the block?? I know some people have has really catastrophic failures with the conrods smashing the **** out of the block...

GT Josh
29-12-2012, 00:33
Thanks for the posts guys...

I will take off the head Saturday morning but if you guys are right, I wont be putting it back together this weekend! That was me hoping it was just a HD gasket :sad2:

If it is a liner or a dropped valve, what is required? Replace liner? put in new valve? Will I need to skim the head? Is this an engine out job or can this be done in situ?

I know I should ask the above once I have the head off and actually know what the problem is... TBH I am not in a rush, just really excited as this will be my first bit of real engine work (Very sad I know).

Just gone through a lot with mine popping a HG, ive had the head skimmed job lot. Way I see it pal you might aswell cover all aspects so you don't get up **** creek again...

Romil Davda
29-12-2012, 11:56
Are there any holes in the block?? I know some people have has really catastrophic failures with the conrods smashing the **** out of the block...

Hole in the block... YES!!! A big fook off one :(

Pics to follow once I've stopped crying :cry:

Nottswoody
29-12-2012, 12:05

Get a different block bud I picked one up for a ton :)

R5MJH
29-12-2012, 12:13
this time romil it might be worth getting everything new like we did the engine you brought secondhand must of had some serious miles on it already mate

philr5t
29-12-2012, 12:26

are you sure that hole aint where the filter screws on mate ;) hope it has not caused to much damage mate let me know if you need a block as i think have a spare if dont have one :)

GT Josh
29-12-2012, 12:54
Gutted mate, make it mint now you have the chance.

philr5t
29-12-2012, 13:07
rom just had a thought when you was laughing at the cork group buys:laugh: this may well help you out for a temp fix mate ;)

found this post of yours mate

Anyone got anymore to add to the list of 'what could be wrong' or 'why it happened'? Correct answers will win the original Group A cork as featured in the 300bhp beast!

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31162 (http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=31162)

Romil Davda
29-12-2012, 13:21
Right guys, take a look at the first pic and work out whats wrong?

Little clue, look closer as it's much worse than it originally seems!!!

Romil Davda
29-12-2012, 13:22
Piston and Liner from number 2! Rod in sump I guess :eek:

James5
29-12-2012, 13:34
Your running low comp pistons, crikey thats a big crack any pics of hole in block? I take it rod picked up caught liner and went through block. Have you got sump of yet?

Is the cam salvagable matey thats if its a high lift jobbie

philr5t
29-12-2012, 13:40
or did the crack in the liner fill the bore up with water causing it to hydraulic and then snap at at the weekest point the end cap and threw the rod out the block ??

GT Josh
29-12-2012, 16:00
**** me that is carnage.

rs250nut
29-12-2012, 17:33
Nice bit of damage there, I can't say I have seen a liner cracked that bad before and I have been through a few myself, it's a bit of a ****ter but the only thing good to come out of such carnage is that you now have the perfect excuse to build a monter motor for it.

Mart
29-12-2012, 17:41
Agree with Phil - A hydro-locked cylinder & throwing the rod thus so would be my guess too.

Impressive crack!

LeeR5GTT
29-12-2012, 18:56
cant believe it fired back up and got you home!

Tony Walker
29-12-2012, 19:32
once that cylinder stopped compressing it probably ran better than a 4 cylinder with 1 ,misfiring lol.

Romil Davda
29-12-2012, 20:52
Your running low comp pistons, crikey thats a big crack any pics of hole in block? I take it rod picked up caught liner and went through block. Have you got sump of yet?

Pics of my hole... (the only time I can ever post a comment like that with actual pics!)

Second pic is with a light over the open bore and third with a screwdriver thro it, just in case you missed it.

Will inspect sump when I take off the bottom end, should answer some questions, I hope.

dangerous dave
29-12-2012, 21:26
Nice work romil, if your gonna fk it up you might as well turn it into a crowd pleaser.. Chop chop get a new block..

Alex
30-12-2012, 16:47
That's really impressively knackered Romil - well done!

Project thread?? ;)