PDA

View Full Version : Speedo and odometer

fossie
25-12-2012, 16:36
Right noticed that the speedo stopped working the other day and so removed the cluster today to see if the connector had come off which it hadn't. On looking at the connector I noticed a brown wire with a white connector on the back of it which wasnt plugged into anything. Can anyone tell me where this connects to.

Also noticed that the odometer isn't clocking on the miles. Anyone know issues with this.

Kind regards and merry Christmas
Lee

Mr Raider
25-12-2012, 17:14
Had problem where odometer wasnt clocking up miles, so took clocks out and removed small motor that is on the side with 2 screws to check it wasnt stuck, moved cog few times with finger,put it back and it worked fine, worth a try ;)

fossie
25-12-2012, 18:39
Thanks buddy ill give that a check in the morning.

fossie
26-12-2012, 19:37
Anyone else know why the odometer won't work?

fossie
26-12-2012, 19:39
Had problem where odometer wasnt clocking up miles, so took clocks out and removed small motor that is on the side with 2 screws to check it wasnt stuck, moved cog few times with finger,put it back and it worked fine, worth a try ;)

When you say removed the clocks did you mean removed the clocks themselves from the cluster. Took mine out today and there are 4 screw behind the speedo holding a plastic cover on. Is the motor behind this?

Thanks again
Lee

Mr Raider
26-12-2012, 19:46
Yup, motor is behind this on the side, hopefully this should sort it, does speedo still read speed? If so speedo cable must have good connection

tobester
26-12-2012, 21:55
I had the same problem with my odometer, removed the instrument assembly from the dash, unclipped the front perspex cover, undid the 4 screws on the rear of the speedo section, speedo can then be removed from the front of the assembly, my problem was caused by a broken wire in the rear of the speedo, blob of solder and job done. Reassembly is the reverse of removal as they say in Haynes. :)

Woznaldo
28-12-2012, 23:27
The odometer won't work if the speedo isn't working (in most cases) but if you find it's just the odometer, try a 'light' spray of WD40 in between the odometer reels. That freed mine up and never had an issue since.

Matt Cole
29-12-2012, 00:27
Most likely the pick up in the gearbox or the loom connector behind the air box bracket.

fossie
29-12-2012, 00:36
Most likely the pick up in the gearbox or the loom connector behind the air box bracket.

Ill give the connector a clean.

Matt you can either 1. Check the gearbox pick up for me or
2. Tell me where to check lol.

Fortunately with my lack of mechanical expertise I'm sure I can locate the gearbox lol

Mr Raider
29-12-2012, 10:02
Gearbox pick up is on engine side of the gearbox up behind exhaust, you'll see the beige colour wire which is the same colour as wire near air box bracket with connector ;). Its held in place with a little bracket and bolt (allen key head I think). Pick up is a black plug thats pushed into gearbox, take it out, give it a wipe/clean, space is a bit tight to get to it, can unbolt exhaust to make things easier, although with bit of patience and fiddling it can be done :)

fossie
29-12-2012, 13:13
Gearbox pick up is on engine side of the gearbox up behind exhaust, you'll see the beige colour wire which is the same colour as wire near air box bracket with connector ;). Its held in place with a little bracket and bolt (allen key head I think). Pick up is a black plug thats pushed into gearbox, take it out, give it a wipe/clean, space is a bit tight to get to it, can unbolt exhaust to make things easier, although with bit of patience and fiddling it can be done :)

Can you get to it from the top easy enough. I have long skinny arms and fingers

andyrg
29-12-2012, 22:05
Hope you get this sorted.

Wonder how long its not been working for ! :(

fossie
29-12-2012, 23:25
Hope you get this sorted.

Wonder how long its not been working for ! :(

Odometer not sure.
Speedo since Si drove it

Mr Raider
29-12-2012, 23:26
Hmm to be fair underneath car is way to go,doubt you would be able to see much from top mate