PDA

View Full Version : liners from block

tony archer
17-12-2012, 21:09
Please can somebody tell me how much my liners should protrude from the block as they seem almost flush ?:scratch:

gtmatt
17-12-2012, 21:16
It's in Haynes if u have 1 mate

tony archer
17-12-2012, 21:20
Could this be the cause of mey never ending head gasket failure ? however the block has not been skimmed and the liners are bonded in along with new rubber seals ???

gttjames
17-12-2012, 21:34
like said all info is in the haynes. I spoke to bob at cgb about this and he said in his oponion the reason so many of these have hg trouble is from where the block perishes and the liners no longer have good protrusion

Kris M
17-12-2012, 22:31
I dont have the exact figures to hand but, You wont be able to measure the protrusion by eye, were talking less that .005mm so your gonna need a DTI gauge or a straight edge and feeler gauges to measure it. But yes, if one liner is below the level of the block you can get all sorts of issues.

Stu THC had loads of problems with one cylinder not sealing due to the liner being below the level of the block. Also only measure the protrusion WITHOUT the liner seal fitted. You should also "step" the liners down from tallest to shortest when you fit them for good practice, mind you all the ones ive seen have been so similar in height i doubt it would make much difference tbh, providing they were all above the block height :)

hope this helps