PDA

View Full Version : Difficult or not!!

fossie
17-12-2012, 20:58
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Looking at getting my second R5 after selling my old one around 6/7 years ago. I'm just wondering how easy are these to work on engine/ mechanical wise. I'm no mechanic by a long shot however would like to do some stuff myself as and when the work needs doing.

Thanks in advance
Lee

djinuk
17-12-2012, 21:02
Easy peasy imo .. dont listen to the horror stories.. engine wise it dosent get any easier than a renault 5.

Woznaldo
17-12-2012, 21:06
That has to be one of the best features of a GTT, easy to work on and tune. Lots of help and guidance right here in the club.;)

fossie
17-12-2012, 21:08

Excellent. My mates just been taking the mick saying that ill be throwing money away. But tbh on my old R5 all I had to do was change the clutch cable. Am I right in thinking it has a cam chain rather than belt!

TopCat
17-12-2012, 21:12
Just speak to your local rtoc rep fella-
Everyone on here I've met have been really nice and helpful.

Maybe ask your local rep to help u view potential cars with u. Most 5's now have rtoc history now anyway.

Good luck with the search :)

fossie
17-12-2012, 21:12

I remember having a nightmare sometimes when starting the car and using the choke lol. Any easier ways around this rather than the car stalling every time I stop lol

tubbyG
17-12-2012, 21:38
Any easier ways around this rather than the car stalling every time I stop lol

let it fully up completley, before setting off :agree:

I (mostly) always give it 10-15mins idling so its off the choke before heading out in mine if its been sat a while. The stalling/hesitating/kangarooing at junctions and roundabouts while getting stared at by people who think I cant drive is a bit embarassing and not my idea of fun:laugh:

In reference to doing repairs, like others have said its relativley simple on a 5 and is a great car to learn on..... you also have the added bonus of being a member on here where members are always willing to offer advice etc

fossie
17-12-2012, 22:05

Yeah a very helpful bunch. I was a member with the same username years ago but for some reason had to re-register. Also got lots of help from you guys

andyrg
18-12-2012, 10:45
I am one of them people who is taking the micky ---- No lee were not were giving you our advice to help you not waste your money " Again"... I love R5s my self but the money you want to spend you'll have to buy a one that needs a lot of work! and im sure the lads on here will all confirm that the age of these cars now a lot need welding work....

Im sure you'll learn one way or another tho.

Look forward to seeing what ever you decide to get... :)

fossie
18-12-2012, 11:24

Cheers Andy I'm sure there's people on here who can weld the car up for me as it obviously needs found ;)