PDA

View Full Version : Split New Head Gasket

GTphil
10-12-2012, 19:59
My bro is just on with changing his headgasket and we spotted the new gasket has split round one of the rear water jackets, the large ones towards the back of the block
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=121&pictureid=7684

Now as this is only under the water system pressure do you think it will be fine to use or do we need to purchase a new one?

I have never come across one like this before, the split goes all the way through to the water jacket.

BILLY-R5GTT
10-12-2012, 20:10
Definately get a new one mate :agree: It's a weak point in the gasket.

James5
10-12-2012, 20:19
Agree wih Billy dont use it if its new get in contact with whom you got it from and get a decent one:agree:

GTphil
10-12-2012, 20:30
thought so:( been a right mess about, the first gasket we purchased two bolts snapped after the gasket was compressed, managed to get them out of the block and with where the bolts snapped we believed it was two faulty bolts, then we get another gasket and it's split, the longest headgasket job in history!:wasntme::wasntme:

Tony Walker
10-12-2012, 20:33
I had one once with 1 ovaled cylinder?????? big egg in the fire ring.... the other 3 were fine.

BILLY-R5GTT
10-12-2012, 20:37
Was it a full kit you bought? If so where from and what make is it? From what you have said it doesn't seem the best.

Have all the bolt holes in the block been cleaned out and all the oil removed? Sometimes this can cause the bolts to snap when tightening them up as they give a false depth in the block.

gtmatt
10-12-2012, 20:42
Looks like a corteco 1 unless itsca fisher price 1 lol

GTphil
10-12-2012, 23:58
Fisher price "my first headgasket":laugh:

it was a corteco one, no issues with where it was from a replacement will be posted out in the next few days. Can't fault the service and this issue is obviously down to corteco and not the vendor;)

i know my bro is desperate for some boost that's all:agree:

GT Josh
11-12-2012, 08:41
Yes all the bolt holes were cleaned out. It was 1 bolt that snapped not 2. Longest head gasket job ever to live on RTOC. Annoying.