PDA

View Full Version : flywheel timing marks

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2012, 16:13
Are the timing marks on the b18ft 215mm flywheel different to the c1j as i cant for the life of me find it through the gearbox hole. I have got the engine to tdc using the mark on the cam pulley and checking that the dizzy is pointing to cyl number 1 (flywheel end) but there is still no line. I have marked the flywheel to correspond with the 0 degree mark on the box and there seems to be a little pip type thing on the clutch, is this how its done on the b18ft?:scratch:
reading the volvo haynes shows nothing to do with timing:sad2:

SCHWARTZ
02-12-2012, 17:15
found this on volvo480europe, does this mean anything to anyone??

Timing marks are on the flywheel next to the flywheel sensor, B18FT= 8 (+- 3) degrees with hot (86c) engine

Scoff
03-12-2012, 16:11
Not a line on the B18 flywheel, I think it's a hole / drilling about 4mm dia. That last bit of text means that the engine idles with 8 deg of advance when hot.

SCHWARTZ
03-12-2012, 16:34
Cheers Chris il have another look but I couldn't see anything like that. I'm guessing when the engine is at tdc this mark will line up with the 0deg line on gearbox as that's where I have been looking. I thought that's what what was referring to but wasn't sure, 8deg seems low for idle dosnt it?:scratch:

Scoff
03-12-2012, 19:34
You got it, the dot/hole/line/whatever will line up with the 0deg mark on the bell housing. Is the flywheel lightened/machined ? Sometimes they can machine away the TDC mark.

8 deg is normal for idle.

:)

SCHWARTZ
03-12-2012, 20:24
I have just set my timing as it was a country mile out but was still running:laugh:
Its running at 10 deg btdc should i drop that to 8deg or is 10 ok?

Haz
27-01-2013, 21:03
cam timing is a dot on cam pulley to pointer on cambelt cover.
bottom end is done through the front of the block. there is a small bolt, 10mm?? bottom at gearbox side. you should be able to get the bottom end close then feed in a 5mm rod, i used a door pin removal tool. it should go into a purpose hole in the crank which will lock it into position when turning gently by hand. if its wrong and into a balancing drill mark it will slip out.
there should be no slack on the front half of the belt between both timing marks when refitting.
oh, cranks are the same but flywheel pattern/tcd is different between early and later engines.