PDA

View Full Version : Few issues

Mikeb185
24-11-2012, 21:42
Clio has Just been for her mot (failed of corse) lol

Anyway when excelerating any more than just a little I get a terrible vibration through the steering, my mechanic said that its being caused by the top engine mount.

Did I read somewhere that if the mount is not quite in the right place it can cause this?

The second issue is that the water temp gauge is moving up and down about every 30 seconds, it's sitting just bellow half way and then raising to the next line, then dropping down to the line bellow again and repeating constantly. I'm guessing it's dropping when the fan kicks in. Anyone experienced this, and know what the cause is?

Cheers
:)

Tony Walker
24-11-2012, 21:52
i had a very odd wheel bearing feeling/shaking steering, but it was deffinetly a drivers side noise, felt like the wheel was going to fall off. Turned out to be the drivers drive shaft had sheered the pin holding it on to the gearbox and had slid almost off the splines making it wobble and the cv joint vibrate horribly. Pushed the shaft back on and new roll pin, cars like new :D worth a quick check anyway :D

Tony Walker
24-11-2012, 21:54
The coolant reading moving sounds pretty normal really. these engines heat up quickly, just make sure its going back down when the fan kicks in.

Mikeb185
24-11-2012, 22:23
Had the mot so he checked play in wheel bearings etc and was all good.
I read somewhere that someone was having the same issue and undid the mount and moved the engine forward slightly. Which would make sense cos under more load the engine is moving further and could be touching on something (fingers crossed)

And as for the temp gauge its causing the fan to kick in every 30seconds or so even when driving at 60!!!

The engine never used to do this it used to sit perfectly a little way under half and didn't move!

I'm wondering if it's a bad connection somewhere or a faulty sensor??

Tony Walker
24-11-2012, 23:48
That was my point regarding the wheel bearing feeling. It felt like a really really bad wheel bearing yet no play and when jacked up no noise or rumbling through the hub/shocky, it was the driveshaft sliding off its splines on the gearbox causing the drivers side CV joint to rumble like a bitch. Very easy to check and worth checking IMO.

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 07:32
cool i will def check that, but im pretty sure its not that as i have just fitted a new pin and sealed it in with silicone. but thanks for the idea mate :)

also my headlight angle wouldnt adjust when he tried? i dont mean from in the car, i mean from the angle adjusters on the lights themselfs!!?? anyone else had this/ know how to fix it?

cheers :)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
25-11-2012, 09:01
Headlamp adjusters are crap on the clio, they are filled with a fluid quite like antifreeze, make sure it hasn't leaked out or the adjuster rods haven't popped out of the back of the headlamp.
Best thing to do if the fluid has leaked out, is to find a poverty spec car in a scrappers and get the manual adjusters out of it.

With the vibration, if you drive slowly do you get a rhythmic knock/creak on one side of the car? Might be that one of the bearings and needle rollers have dropped off the spider joint on an inner cv joint, pray its the drivers inner joint!!

Brigsy
25-11-2012, 11:13
The vibration is most likely a knackered shaft. Can be caused by excessively worn mounts too. As for the coolant issue what engine/car is it. Thermostat might be dead?

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 11:54
Hi Matt I mean the little bits on the tops of the headlights that you turn with a socket to adjust the angle. It's funny that they both don't work?!? And the vibration only occurs when excellerating any more than say 10mm on the pedal.

It's a Clio 1.8 16v with a Williams engine.

I have just rebuilt the thing and all of the driveshafts were perfect before I took them off :)

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 11:55
And the top mount was brand new in march!!

Hoolio
25-11-2012, 11:57
The Temp gauge issue is probably caused by a faulty temp sensor/sender on the side of the engine (twenty pounds or so from Reno). The vibration problem could be a number of things.

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 17:14
i will check the sensor but was working perfectly before which is strange :confused:

Hoolio
25-11-2012, 18:54
i will check the sensor but was working perfectly before which is strange :confused:

This is a well known issue but just read your post saying it's a williams engine so not so certain, sorry.

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 19:21
That ok, cheers for ya help anyway :)

Tony Walker
25-11-2012, 22:05
Top engine mount is different to top mounts(suspension top mounts)

Mikeb185
25-11-2012, 22:10
By mounts I think they we're referring to top engine and gearbox :)

Mikeb185
28-11-2012, 18:15
Problem solved! Turns out the downpipe was touching the steering rack, so I undid the 4 upper engine mount bolts and pulled the engine forward a bit. Job done :)

As for the temp gauge issue well it was doing it whilst driving along, but when I was stuck In traffic it was sitting perfectly at half way!!??? Weird, any ideas? :)

SCHWARTZ
28-11-2012, 18:51
sounds like a bad connection somewhere

Mikeb185
28-11-2012, 19:18
But where is the question.....????