View Full Version : Head work

danielmk323
23-11-2012, 13:30
What size should the exhaust ports be port it to gain the max flow from the std valve size my tuner told if we go to big it will lose more then gain any suggestions

Alex
23-11-2012, 15:20
I don't know specifically what size is the optimum, I guess that's where the flow testing comes in. From what I've read I'd agree with what your tuner is saying though; re not going too big on the exhaust ports. :)

danielmk323
23-11-2012, 15:32
i need the size more to get a quot on a tube manifold to be done making some homework any more info will be great

Alex
23-11-2012, 23:30
I suspect you'll have to get the head work done first then take some measurements for the manifold. I could be wrong though.

danielmk323
24-11-2012, 07:19
I suspect you'll have to get the head work done first then take some measurements for the manifold. I could be wrong though.
Ha ha same ting my tuner sad to me :ashamed:

TNT ANDY
24-11-2012, 07:50
Depends how much power you're going for really and how much boost you're going to run. I've spoken to some pretty good engine builders and they have both said the same, head work on a blown engine is not as drastic a modification as on a N/A engine. Some mild porting and polishing yes, 230BHP + and yes I'd say you're getting into bigger valves territory. JP racing specifically went for a head with smaller ports and valves to increase gas speed velocity in his head (F lump, but the principle is the same). But when going for monster power, I guess you want to be looking at Glens massive valves and saying, I need to be getting there.

danielmk323
24-11-2012, 11:21
Depends how much power you're going for really and how much boost you're going to run. I've spoken to some pretty good engine builders and they have both said the same, head work on a blown engine is not as drastic a modification as on a N/A engine. Some mild porting and polishing yes, 230BHP + and yes I'd say you're getting into bigger valves territory. JP racing specifically went for a head with smaller ports and valves to increase gas speed velocity in his head (F lump, but the principle is the same). But when going for monster power, I guess you want to be looking at Glens massive valves and saying, I need to be getting there.
Yes the point is to get a few bhp right no im running 200 bhp whit 14 psi on efi setup whit a 285 cam right now i want to get the upper part of the engine done before going forge internals for big boost