PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up my AFR, tools tips advice

StuHERTS
22-11-2012, 21:23
Hi all,
Installed the AFR into my Down pipe and now looking at plumbing the wires in this weekend..
I searched the forum but bring back no results for tips etc..

is it necessary/worthwhile to take the dash right off and what have you all wired the wires to??
Thanks
Stu

R5MJH
22-11-2012, 21:37
Hi all,
Installed the AFR into my Down pipe and now looking at plumbing the wires in this weekend..
I searched the forum but bring back no results for tips etc..

is it necessary/worthwhile to take the dash right off and what have you all wired the wires to??
Thanks
Stu

i recently did one i drill a hole in the os bulk / scuttle and wired behind dash as it was easy this way

StuHERTS
22-11-2012, 21:38
i recently did one i drill a hole in the os bulk / scuttle and wired behind dash as it was easy this way

Cheers,
What connections did you actually wire it to?
Stu

R5MJH
22-11-2012, 21:57
Cheers,
What connections did you actually wire it to?
Stu

ya only need black/ yellow i used dash loom black wire on top left plug for negative and for positive the thick yellow wire on i think 3rd top plug check with meter if ya unsure or bulb i used blue scotch locks to make it even easier watch when ya drill hole theres part of the loom there so double check before starting to drill

R5MJH
22-11-2012, 22:01
black and red only used from afr i meant i just re editted post lol

StuHERTS
22-11-2012, 22:04
ya only need black/ red i used dash loom black wire on top left plug and for positive the thick yellow wire on i think 3rd top plug check with meter if ya unsure or bulb i used blue scotch locks to make it even easier watch when ya drill hole theres part of the loom there so double check before starting to drill

Luckily, there's a hole there already for the Boost Gauge that i'm taking out,
It runs to the centre console passed the top/right of the fuse box so i will miltimeter to save taking the dash off..
Thanks

R5MJH
22-11-2012, 22:10
Luckily, there's a hole there already for the Boost Gauge that i'm taking out,
It runs to the centre console passed the top/right of the fuse box so i will miltimeter to save taking the dash off..
Thanks

ive run the lambda wire through hole on ns along and around back of fan then into the hole i drilled on os where our battery is on ours i didnt use the boost hole as wire loom end is about 20 mm long thats why i drilled another hole

Jonny5
22-11-2012, 22:44
Are you running the car with the lambda sensor fitted in the downpipe but not powered?

StuHERTS
22-11-2012, 22:49
Are you running the car with the lambda sensor fitted in the downpipe but not powered?

I took it around the block.. as its not been run for 2 weeks..
Didn't boost, was just to give a little charge..

Jonny5
22-11-2012, 22:53
Its best not to run the car at all as it carbons up the lambda sensor.
When its powered its heated so this isnt usually a problem but it does say in the aem instructions not to run the gauge without power!
Just a friendly bit of advice :)

StuHERTS
22-11-2012, 23:23
Its best not to run the car at all as it carbons up the lambda sensor.
When its powered its heated so this isnt usually a problem but it does say in the aem instructions not to run the gauge without power!
Just a friendly bit of advice :)

Yea read that mate, and also read "not for the electronically mechanically deprived" lol
Honestly don't think ive ever wot'd it even without the AFR..
I have a few more bits to do on it before i take it out again but just had the old withdrawl symptoms..

StuHERTS
23-11-2012, 20:14
Got it installed today,
Idling about 13.5-14.2 from when i first put it in.
on boost, it can drop to 10.5!

Is there a help guide on the forum as to how to adjust the Carb to increase/decrease AFR mixtures levels as it seems to be running rich whilst boosting?

Nottswoody
23-11-2012, 20:30
Sounds like mine did bud the d1ck that had it before drilled out the stages to 1.5 so I bought a new carb and started again. Do you have any micro drill bots to measure your jets and stages?

StuHERTS
23-11-2012, 20:36
Sounds like mine did bud the d1ck that had it before drilled out the stages to 1.5 so I bought a new carb and started again. Do you have any micro drill bots to measure your jets and stages?

Yea purchased a set of micro bits a few weeks back.
I changed my main from 1.30 to about 1.25ish (soldered) I do have a real 1.20

I just stripped this Group A, carb-cleaned and changed O-ring, pump diaphragm, gaskets, etc.. Mike can confirm, got the kit off him 2 weeks ago.
Looking for a standard Carb..

Is there a post or pic about which jets are which?
Ill measure the 1st & 2nd jets but which are which lol