PDA

View Full Version : noise???

newbstar*
17-11-2012, 20:46
Noise like flywheel rubbing. , Just put in the rebuilt engine and got this noise, removed sump and checked the main shells again (ok). Also no filings in oil, also got good oil pressure. The flywheel has been lightened and it has a new 4 plate helix paddle clutch. The Noise sounds like constant rubbing, its not the release bearing. Any advise or ideas please guys. Its not the gearbox cover plate either.

Kris M
17-11-2012, 20:55
bit more specific? metallic rubbing noise, squealing rubber seal noise ? loud quite? does it change with RPM ? :)

newbstar*
17-11-2012, 21:24
Metallic to my ears, stays the same with rpm change.

Tony Walker
18-11-2012, 08:47
Same with rpm change? What if you press the clutch?

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 09:11
It stays there tony if you press the clutch.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-11-2012, 10:08
Take the tdc sensor out and check for rubbing?

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 10:18
Done that matt, no signs of rubbing on sensor or flywheel?? I'll road test it to see if it gets worse. My feelings is the flywheels back end is rubbing!

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
18-11-2012, 10:46
:crap: can you see if its rubbing by taking off the alloy plate, if its fitted.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 10:49
Indeed, me and 2 other techs are in the dark. Using a stephoscope the noise was loudest on the sump where it bolts to the main crank seal.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 10:55
I took the plate off matt. Just signs of engagement from the starter. No filings in engine oil, on tip of tdc sensor or in the box casing? The flywheel is secondhand!

Brigsy
18-11-2012, 10:55
When you say rebuilt engine have you changed the oil pump internals...mine made a similar rubbing noise for approx 30 mins when it had new pump internals. If not have you knocked the timing chain cover and its catching the pulley? Also if the crankshaft oil seal is fitted the wrong way this can make a rubbing noise aswell.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 11:03
Oil pump left in and packed with grease, it wasn't that bad. Crankshaft seal correct way. Not timing cover . Wondering can any bolts that goe through the bell housing of the gearbox touch clutch/ flywheel?

Brigsy
18-11-2012, 11:06
Id be tempted just to drive it mate, ive had funny noises like this in the past and they usually disappear after a few miles.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 11:16
I think that's the next step brigsy. I want to know what it sounds like with load on it. I'll post what I find Monday evening! Cheers guys!!

Tony Walker
18-11-2012, 11:37
If there's starter marks on the flywheel, can you get your steth to the starter, it might be sticking out and not disengaging? Gearbox bolts shouldn't be able to touch the flywheel.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 11:50
If there's starter marks on the flywheel, can you get your steth to the starter, it might be sticking out and not disengaging? Gearbox bolts shouldn't be able to touch the flywheel.

The cars on a lift so can get the starter. Might take the starter out just to check it.

Biggs
18-11-2012, 19:48
Is the clutch plate in the right way round ?

I had a similar problem a few years back which turned out to be the clutch.

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 20:44
Don't think you can get it the wrong way around, as it won't sit flush.

GTphil
18-11-2012, 22:18
I put a clutch plate in the wrong way round once:ashamed:

It was a valeo greenbox one, it used to tick as the springs in the plate started to catch the flywheel bolts, it eventually wore through three of them and the first thing I knew about it was when the clutch started to slip.

It was a constant tick tick tick, only really noticeable on idle. I can't remember if the noise vanished or not when the clutch pedal was down..........

newbstar*
18-11-2012, 22:38
The sound would change if you press the clutch pedal down and the plate was the wrong way around?

newbstar*
19-11-2012, 18:55
Road tested the car today! The result was noise settled down after the run, still a noise there, so i'm going to keep on running it in. Hopefully the noise will not get louder as its not that loud/ not noticable in car or idle? To me it sounds like a main shell / big end knock, but could be the 6 plate paddle clutch. I think only time and usage will tell:confused:

Prior to me putting new shells in there was small pieces of metal in the sump also alot of plastic pieces in the oil strainer. the piston pins dont have any nylon on them do they?