PDA

View Full Version : inlet air temp sensor mounting?

SCHWARTZ
12-11-2012, 22:41
Has anyone had to mount an inlet air temp sensor on the b18ft? I need to fit one for the megasquirt, I was thinking of drilling and tapping one of these in to a flat point in the plenum.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-TEMP-SENSOR-RENAULT-19-21-25-Clio-Espace-Laguna-Master-Megane-/251128709850?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a787002da
Has anyone any better ideas or is this a good way of doing this? Any help greatly appreciated:D

philr5t
12-11-2012, 22:55
Gary mine is in the inlet manifold which works but may well suffer from heat soak but I'm sure scoff mentioned to me it would be best suited in the air filter pipe or close to it but maybe he could confirm that mate

SCHWARTZ
12-11-2012, 23:30
so it dosnt need to be after the turbo then? i assumed it would have to read the actual temp of the air going into the cylinders, not the temp basically of the atmosphere.:scratch:

Dave Reed
13-11-2012, 03:12
It needs to see the air charge temp (so after the turbo). Mount it after it's been through the intercooler.

I had mine in the boost pipe after the intercooler, I just drilled a hole and tapped another bit of thicker metal shaped to the curve of the pipe and sealed it up with some silicone sealant.

I have heard others say its not needed, but alot of modern car from the factory run them so why not? Also within the map you can set safety limits ie once the charge temp rises above 50 degrees it adds timing, 1 degree for every 5 degrees increase
(I think that's what it is). Saying that, I'm not even sure the megger squirt can do this function.

Also if your map is safe then it's not really required, depends how close you are to a fine tune really...

Hope that helps

SCHWARTZ
13-11-2012, 06:57
Cheers guys, I'm not sure if the ms needs it but it seems to be in every wiring diagram and members on 440 Europe have fitted them. I have no real map at the moment and the engine won't even fire but that's down to the vr sensor and I'm hoping I have sorted that now. If it dosnt need it I won't bother I just thought it may help cold starting esp on really cold mornings.

Scoff
13-11-2012, 13:29
Before the turbo I say, you'll find it much easier to correct for real life air temperature changes.

markey b
13-11-2012, 17:37
I just thought it may help cold starting esp on really cold mornings.

think the coolant temp sensor does that bit ;)

SCHWARTZ
13-11-2012, 18:08
Is it actually worth having this fitted then or is there no real benefit?