PDA

View Full Version : B18FT Rear engined RWD 5GTT (Scoff old 5)

Pages : [1] 2

James5
12-11-2012, 15:59
Thought I would start a thread on my recently acquired R5 :D unfortunatly this isn't so much of a project thread as I can't take any credit for the work that has been done on this car prior to my ownership. So this thread is more of a photo diary to keep a record of this car from past to present and future changes.

To start I done some searching through the RTOC files and came across some old pic's.

Scoff’s 3.9 sec 0-60 trax 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N-8Ifhdr4Q&feature=youtu.be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N-8Ifhdr4Q&feature=youtu.be)

James5
12-11-2012, 16:00
Pic's of the work done for Matt aka RTOC member Notnormal - works done by Scoff and Haz as known back then as Nocturnal Development's.

Link to fast car shoot
http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2011/08/01/modified-renault-5-gt-turbo-2011-08-01/ (http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2011/08/01/modified-renault-5-gt-turbo-2011-08-01/)

The car was also in performance GTI

James5
12-11-2012, 16:02
pic's of car found again by DaveL485, had a couple of rust patches on bonnet and the drivers lower door.

To which have all been sorted, the tungy bodykit was quite badly scratched up and this has also been sorted.

James5
12-11-2012, 16:03
Some pic's of work to date, I will add more pic's soon.

Bodykit is now all Electric blue,
Under bonnet strengthening and fuel tank supports added as alloy tank to go in,
New rad in situ,
Also all the orange strut braces and cage are now black,
Dash and front door cards are all now flocked,

The idea is to get the car looking as kind of OE + as possible, well as OE as you can with side vents in the rear quarters and an engine in the boot :laugh:. I will be searching for some OE side decal's soon and changing the wheels to some OZ superleggera's once the turbines sell or I get some extra cash soon:D

Plan engine wise is to get the car looking good and running properly long term plans are give the B18ft a chance but possibly look to replace with a renault 16v engine turbo'd in the boot. I am not after Crazy power just a nice 230-250bhp. As this car is going to be scary enough being rear wheel drive.

Penfold aka The Dealer
12-11-2012, 16:06
Very jealous, a stunning car :D

Romil Davda
12-11-2012, 17:01
Beautiful car James, well done mate.

Trevhib
12-11-2012, 17:01
I really like the direction you're taking this car in :agree:

What I never understood is how it got from the top condition shown in the Fast Car shoot, to the deteriorated situation Dave found it in. :scratch:

DaveL485
12-11-2012, 17:31
I really like the direction you're taking this car in :agree:

What I never understood is how it got from the top condition shown in the Fast Car shoot, to the deteriorated situation Dave found it in. :scratch:

Nice to see it's being attended to :) Once I rescued and MOT'd it and drove it I knew it wasn't for me. Certainly a straight line car more than for the bendy bits.

HAndy
12-11-2012, 18:18
nice to see some piccys of it:cool:

tweek the suspension a bit ,and it should handle ok:)

now there is 2x side ways blue coffins:laugh::laugh:

Blocky
12-11-2012, 18:54
Rear engined for the win :-P

Although i guess i'm biased :cool:

Tutuur
12-11-2012, 20:06
really excited to see the progress on this one mate!

just one request, if/when you have the engine out could you make me some detailed pics of the body modifications and the setup for the engine cover/box?

you know why i want them :D

Tutuur
12-11-2012, 20:07
nice to see some piccys of it:cool:

tweek the suspension a bit ,and it should handle ok:)

now there is 2x side ways blue coffins:laugh::laugh:

and maybe 1 more in the future :wasntme:

HAndy
12-11-2012, 20:31
and maybe 1 more in the future :wasntme:

:cool: rwd ftw

does this mean we can have our own drifting session at blyton next year then:D

TNT ANDY
12-11-2012, 20:33
I'd like to see that :laugh:

Tony Walker
12-11-2012, 20:41
just done a drifting day at Oulton park, Seriously good fun, never had more fun at 20mph :D was thinking about buying a 3series or something but............ seeing this thread hmmmmmmmmmmm tempted. :)

Tutuur
12-11-2012, 20:48
:cool: rwd ftw

does this mean we can have our own drifting session at blyton next year then:D

lol, mine will take a few years i guess, also i'm not based in the UK so chance i'll come there will be even smaller

Gttnutter
12-11-2012, 21:29
I'm sure there's a clip somewhere of it having a moment in a field? Only a few seconds long from what I recall

Ashy
12-11-2012, 22:31
Good work mate, always loved that car... I think those original photos might of been taken by me at Trax back in the day.... :cool:

Glad its getting sorted properly, did the problem with the coolant system get sorted?

TNT ANDY
13-11-2012, 06:24
I'm sure there's a clip somewhere of it having a moment in a field? Only a few seconds long from what I recall

Yup - got it.

Almost lol:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9yHl24QynOM

Logg
13-11-2012, 06:36
Yup - got it.

Almost lol:laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9yHl24QynOM

Love it Norfolk drifting.

SCHWARTZ
13-11-2012, 12:35
Looks ace matey. Can't wait to see this at the meet. Be nice to see how much faster you can pull away with same engine but in the back:D

DaveL485
13-11-2012, 22:01
:laugh::laugh::laugh: at some of the drifting comments.

Seriously chaps, the balance on this thing is chicken oriental, it's short, no weight at the front.... if you get it out of understeer- which it does a lot- the oversteer will bite your head off. Think Clio V6 x 1000.
I sold it because I lack the self control not to try, and I knew where I would end up eventually.

Upside down.

In a field.

Headed for prison.

:wasntme:

I hope the new owner has the time, money and patience to get it set up, I really didnt. I'd recommend 2 25kg bags of cement sat on the front subframe as a good starting point (seriously!)

James5
14-11-2012, 08:06
:laugh::laugh::laugh: at some of the drifting comments.

Seriously chaps, the balance on this thing is chicken oriental, it's short, no weight at the front.... if you get it out of understeer- which it does a lot- the oversteer will bite your head off. Think Clio V6 x 1000.
I sold it because I lack the self control not to try, and I knew where I would end up eventually.

Upside down.

In a field.

Headed for prison.

I hope the new owner has the time, money and patience to get it set up, I really didnt. I'd recommend 2 25kg bags of cement sat on the front subframe as a good starting point (seriously!)

There will plenty of patience with this 5 as I am not having it as a car to thrash about everywhere really just want to keep it tidy and attend some event's with it and prob do a few 1/4 mile run's on a proper strip (not the local highway:laugh:).

Proper set-up and sorting weighting / corner weighting of the car is one of the top thing's on my list of todo's. I really don't want to be upside down in a 5 again:cry:.

I will update with some more pic's at the weekend:agree:

Some older pics found from EP motorsport day on Karlos profile:agree: karlos always good for ole time pic's:D:agree::laugh:

SCHWARTZ
14-11-2012, 08:16
Upside down.

In a field.

Headed for prison.

Sounds very familiar:wasntme:

James5
14-11-2012, 08:40
Upside down.

In a field.

Headed for prison.

Sounds very familiar:wasntme:

Prob that re-occuring dream you keep having Gary about being locked up in Prison with some big boys and a soap bar on the floor:laugh:

(some PGTI magazine scan's from feb 07)

SCHWARTZ
14-11-2012, 08:45
One of my personal favorites :D

James5
14-11-2012, 09:23
One of my personal favorites :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The last few pages of the PGTI feb 07 feature

James5
18-11-2012, 14:42
Pic from this morning with new bonnet and freshly sprayed bumper on:agree:

My obtain list to get car sorted is now:-

Interior Part's list

Interior plastic's - A Pillar's, grab handles, door surrounds lower, rear quarter plastic's window surround's,
New interior carpet (one in car has seen better day's),
Centre console,
Exterior Part's list

Rear light's both side's,
Engine -

had no chance to have a proper look at it as yet will worry about that last once I have done the rest,
Underneath of car -

Coolant pipe run needs re-routing so it sit's nicely within the exhaust tunnel and not just hanging pipes secured with cable ties :laugh: (looks like had some rubbage issue's),
Also need to replace both upper rear bumper mounting point's as pretty much non existent,
Fuel lines for new alloy fuel tank to be fitted to underneath of car (that's if the original pipes are not in place I can utilise),

(Any donations of part's more than welcome as now skint until after xmas :cry:):agree:

Os8472
18-11-2012, 15:39
Apart from the ducts in the rear quarters you'd never tell that had an engine up its arse :eek:

Tutuur
18-11-2012, 16:30
Awesome :agree:

DaveL485
20-11-2012, 09:28
My obtain list to get car sorted is now:-

Interior Part's list

Interior plastic's - A Pillar's, grab handles, door surrounds lower, rear quarter plastic's window surround's,

Centre console,
Exterior Part's list
[LIST]
Rear quarter windows and fixing's,
Rear passenger side light cluster,
Front Fog's
GTT Grill,
mesh for side vent's (although would be nice to have a proper plastic grill in place like the turbo 2's,

All of the above were there when it left my house a few months ago.....:crap:

stu21t
20-11-2012, 09:39
I've got 2 rear 1/4 windows out of mine you can have.
And mike gtt spares does new fixings for them, I know cos I bought some off him.

James5
20-11-2012, 09:52
All of the above were there when it left my house a few months ago.....:crap:

Owner between me and yourself Dave has pretty much stripped the car down in order to replace various bit's (as I know he was going perspex window's to which are not to my taste) I assume bit's got broken in the strip or damaged before hand and just got binned. Some parts that have been renewed are nicely done and I paid extra for these for example I have a very nice flocked dash and nice flocked door card's done by phoneix autosport on here also the rear roll cage and both strut braces have all been powder coated black and a nice job done aswell. Previous owner is currently going through his bits at present to see what he has about and is dropping them off to me thurs / fri this week as he still has a few bit's which I have not listed on the wanted / need list.

I've got 2 rear 1/4 windows out of mine you can have.
And mike gtt spares does new fixings for them, I know cos I bought some off him.

Hi Stu, thanks for the offer I may take you up on those rear quarter's currently awaiting Philr5t on here as he has said he has most of the interior plastic bit's, rear quarters, and rear rubber's I can have he just needs to check what he's actually got.

The sad thing is a few months back I chucked out a full set of GTT side windows front and rear, and rear interior plastic:cry: and I gave away a red carpet aswell for free :crap:and now I need the bloody thing's typical lesson learn't don't throw anything away and keep it all you never know when you need it again.

James5
21-11-2012, 07:57
Little update nothing fantastic as yet as still awaiting parts before I can really proceed any further.

New wheel's fitted :D
New Bonnet,

Not the best of pic's unfortunatly due to lighting

The car is all the same colour it just comes up different colours in different light's, I will upload some better pic's tomorrow, i will get it of the axle stands and roll it out the shed:agree:

LiamR
21-11-2012, 08:01
Hi

Love this car. Did you buy it from a guy on the isle of sheppey by any chance?

James5
21-11-2012, 08:02
Hi

Love this car. Did you buy it from a guy on the isle of sheppey by any chance?

I did indeed:agree:

LiamR
21-11-2012, 09:02
I did indeed:agree:

I thought so. The guy before u didn't have it long then.

He bought the bonnet and a door from me. He had big plans for it. Do u know why he sold so soon?

James5
21-11-2012, 10:59
I thought so. The guy before u didn't have it long then.

He bought the bonnet and a door from me. He had big plans for it. Do u know why he sold so soon?

I assume a lack of interest and the amount of work needed or the ££££'s I offered him made him change his mind :D

It does need quite a bit of work as it's basically a rolling shell and the engine ancillaries all need putting back together.

James5
22-11-2012, 11:50
Some update pic's new wheels on, chargecooler setup removed, part of rear strut brace fitted as missing the joining bolt's, new heater matrix fitted, currently in process of putting flocked dash in place. Front bumper fitted and secure,

Later today will be removing driver's door for new door to go on:D

Trevhib
22-11-2012, 11:55
Oh wow, this is looking absolutely great. :)

James5
22-11-2012, 12:07
Oh wow, this is looking absolutely great. :)

Currently working out if I can fit this behind the passenger side rear quarter vent as I hate charge cooler's I am also thinking about having a fan on the intercooler aswell

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120908026694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Tutuur
22-11-2012, 12:10
I hope it will get suffient air there.

When's the engine coming out? :D

Dave Reed
22-11-2012, 12:23
Is there no way of fitting one under the rear bumber?

Or why not cut the number plate area out and fit one in there with ducts from the rear windows?

Brigsy
22-11-2012, 12:48
Looks well:agree:

GTphil
22-11-2012, 13:18
Those wheels look really really well along side the leccy blue, I'm with Dave here, can you not get a cooler somewhere around the rear bumper area?

Air flow I would imagine should be better towards the bottom of the rear bumper.

Nad-5GTT
22-11-2012, 13:33
Looking very nice there James :smokin:

James5
22-11-2012, 16:01
Some more pics and no its not a scratch on the flocked door card.

Went to remove the drivers door but the bottom hex head had already been rounded off and the upper one has been snapped.

Any idea's how to get off without damaging the brackets on the car?? don't care about the door itself as replacing it:D

SCHWARTZ
22-11-2012, 16:28
Have you tried hammering an allenkey bit in there? I'm sure anything involving a hammer would work best:D

James5
22-11-2012, 16:44
Have you tried hammering an allenkey bit in there? I'm sure anything involving a hammer would work best:D
:agree:

Thats my normal method if in doubt get the hammer out. Thought there might be an easy way:D

chris
22-11-2012, 16:52
Hammer a torx bit socket in there if its a rounded allen key head holding the door on really wanted this car when it was for sale me and my bro where guna go halfs on it but he had problems with his house i think your doing a great job with the car

markey b
22-11-2012, 17:19
looks awesome, how long till its a crazy hybrid with obscene figures? :laugh:

can u not angle grind the hinges off the old door to give u some more room to swing a hammer if the old door is scrap?

SCHWARTZ
22-11-2012, 17:33
Dint realise you were only after 250bhp matey stick with the b18ft it'll do you proud:D

Markey Mark (BD)
22-11-2012, 17:36
Dint realise you were only after 250bhp matey stick with the b18ft it'll do you proud:D

:agree: Couldn't agree more ;)

James5
22-11-2012, 17:56
:agree: Couldn't agree more ;)

I will give the b18ft a chance:agree: but i do keep dreaming about std f4rt running a bit more boost :D

dangerous dave
22-11-2012, 18:01

this is where the funs starts, james will detune the lump, then swap it for a lesser lump, then swap it back and tune it back up to good power, then swap the lump again before putting the car on its roof..

id leave it as it is now, looks :smokin::smokin::smokin:

shaggy
22-11-2012, 18:15
this is where the funs starts, james will detune the lump, then swap it for a lesser lump, then swap it back and tune it back up to good power, then swap the lump again before putting the car on its roof..

:laugh::laugh: You got that spot on dave.

James5
22-11-2012, 18:19
:laugh::laugh: You got that spot on dave.

Cheeky feckers:ashamed::laugh:

The b18ft will be staying put for the time being plenty of more work to do on the 5:D

Haz
22-11-2012, 18:42
looking good. nice to see its getting a revival. as it doesnt appear to be mentioned, i was under the assumption that there was an issue with the head causing the coolant system to pressurise?

James5
22-11-2012, 18:56
looking good. nice to see its getting a revival. as it doesnt appear to be mentioned, i was under the assumption that there was an issue with the head causing the coolant system to pressurise?

Cheers just want to get it looking better i believe it has had a couple of engines since the original and the others since all went bang due to know one getting it mapped its still in a base map.

Haz
22-11-2012, 19:52
remember that anyone could have plugged into the ecu and altered the map themselves so it may not be the base map anymore. at the very least get the files over to scoff to check.
regards the vents and coolers i'd be tempted to keep the charge cooler setup, if its still on it. i dont think the side vents will suck up much air without scoops over them, or having to modify the bodywork more to get it in.

James5
22-11-2012, 20:01
remember that anyone could have plugged into the ecu and altered the map themselves so it may not be the base map anymore. at the very least get the files over to scoff to check.
regards the vents and coolers i'd be tempted to keep the charge cooler setup, if its still on it. i dont think the side vents will suck up much air without scoops over them, or having to modify the bodywork more to get it in.

Its not the original chargecoolers it a really small.pathetic thing i will get a pic of it tomoz. Chris has already been really helpful with ecu talk and other advices:agree:

dangerous dave
22-11-2012, 20:07

carbon scoops.....:cool: clio v6 scoops modded on might be possible?

Tony Walker
22-11-2012, 20:12
i used a torx bit/socket/wratchet and a jack to jack the wratchet up on to the bottom bolt lifting the car up slightly applying alot of pressure and just undid it.

James5
22-11-2012, 20:53
Will try that but one has been snapped within the bracket

Tony Walker
22-11-2012, 20:57
drill it out. but support the door.

SCHWARTZ
22-11-2012, 21:56

Can we all chip in for Christmas and get James a set of stabilisers so this poor car dosnt end up where we all know it will.:laugh:

James5
23-11-2012, 09:58
Anyone got a copy of the performance gti feature for this car? Not got a copy and would be nice read

philr5t
23-11-2012, 10:16
Anyone got a copy of the performance gti feature for this car? Not got a copy and would be nice read

Don't know what mag I have but your car is featured in it a big write up handful of pics and also a picture of scoff and haz in it mate you can have it to keep I'm sure it is performance gti thinking about it now mate :agree:

James5
23-11-2012, 10:55
Don't know what mag I have but your car is featured in it a big write up handful of pics and also a picture of scoff and haz in it mate you can have it to keep I'm sure it is performance gti thinking about it now mate :agree:

Phil that would be awesome

with my old RWD andy I ended up with 0 deg camber at the front and whatever factory standard GTT front camber is at the rear. I also stiffened the standard anti-roll bar at the rear somewhat. I played about with tracking too. A few degrees toe-in at the rear made it feel a lot more stable. Hopefully your tie rods at the rear will be pretty parrallel with the floor too. I used to suffer with bump steer with the standard rack angles until I sorted that out.

In the end the car was pretty well balanced, to me anyway. You could throw it into corners and you'd get a hint of understeer before the back started to get loose. It was quite controllable in the dry. Totally different matter in the wet. You will need to be SO carefull it's untrue. I could spin 180° at 30mph on a roundabout in the rain on new yoko A539's I think they were. Take every corner super carfull once its damp. I even lost it in a straight line once. damp road, lit the rear wheels up at 60mph and ended up heading down the carriageway at 45° for a moment. thankfully by that point I was getting used to RWD so it didn't phase me much. I think if I had of done that early on I'd have stacked it :D

andybond
23-11-2012, 20:39

PM Davel485 - i think he might have one ..

DaveL485
24-11-2012, 10:32
PM Davel485 - i think he might have one ..

Gave it to the new owner with the car when it left me.

Careful walloping door hinges, if you attack them too hard the hinge WILL bend. Well, more specifically the bit its welded to will and your new door either wont fit or will sit funny.
If you dont need the door, cut it away from around the hinge and then drill the top off and push it out the bottom.

DaveL485
24-11-2012, 10:34

It is a base map, or what looks like a base map. I already warned him in a PM anything more than normal driving would be a bad move until its sorted out properly.

markey b
24-11-2012, 10:44
Phil that would be awesome

whats the fuel cap on the side for then? :confused:

James5
24-11-2012, 10:57
whats the fuel cap on the side for then? :confused:

:laugh:there was @ 10l metal jerry can the other side all plumbed in, i will be removing the old filler hole at somepoint

HAndy
24-11-2012, 11:24

if you want more airflow then scoops or bigger inward facing scoops are going to be needed, a decent sized charge core will work well, renault droped the intercooler on the turbo2 production racer and used a chargecooler set up+water injection (450bhp). although they used a 4 port intercooler direct feed to crossflow head on the maxi (350bhp) the rear arches area wider profile than the skeete arches for the gtt by aprox 2" per side, so they did stick out and catch a fair bit of air:laugh::laugh:

you could go more extreme and duct/vent the roof into a scoop and mount the intercooler up above the engine. a certain little blue imp at mallory ppc in the park, had done this conversion,worked really well according to the cars owner,we did speak for quite a while:cooter:

or go down the scoop route like the v6:) either way keep your oil cooler pipe work as short as possible if your running a seperate oil cooler, this will also help as the 1.8 engine do get warm in the back;)

markey b
24-11-2012, 12:44
chargecooler vs' intercooler.... FIGHT!

if you mount them at the front i'm sure TNT andy will agree there are gains to be had, however at the rear u need an RS200 style roof mount :laugh:

HAndy
24-11-2012, 14:23
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=14841&d=1353752262

what toe in and negative camber have you got on the rear end:)

philr5t
24-11-2012, 22:24
Here you go mate this is the mag I have featuring your new 5 blimey don't the boys look young :laugh: not shaw if scoff has a goaty or if it's dirt on the page :wasntme:
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/B43B4CC3-BA97-4413-829B-735AF3C4B97A-771-000000E4FB783917.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/8C57D547-7FED-4C3F-9DE2-4B5DF335092D-771-000000E508A61C0A.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/91E256F4-D483-4975-A3B7-588555DD2886-771-000000E5140D3E4D.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/36ED91C5-D58B-4509-B5C2-85C7CAAC093E-771-000000E51F9A7312.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/8988348E-CF39-4960-BCD5-BCA929A6803A-771-000000E52C9B7384.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/1D7AA70F-6808-45C9-8C51-4E2E5F2C4464-771-000000E5364D0AD6.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab97/philr5/E9B0570D-DD04-494F-BD93-2E476335A5BC-771-000000E542748791.jpg

dangerous dave
24-11-2012, 22:34
Can I be the first to congratulate you at linking feck all.. :agree::p

philr5t
24-11-2012, 22:39
:jerkoff::jerkoff:
Can I be the first to congratulate you at linking feck all.. :agree::p

:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff: managed to do that one alright didnt i dog s**t Dave :cooter:

dangerous dave
24-11-2012, 23:14

:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff: managed to do that one alright didnt i dog s**t Dave :cooter:

Took you a while, most likely writing your post out one handed again.. :jerkoff:

My car will most likely get painted time that.....2015 perhaps.

James5
25-11-2012, 09:46

Cheers phil will need to borrow it so can have a read :agree:

James5
25-11-2012, 09:47
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=14841&d=1353752262

what toe in and negative camber have you got on the rear end:)

I have no idea i will find out though:agree:

carbon scoops.....:cool: clio v6 scoops modded on might be possible?

Ref side scoops I would do something like that but then it will end up looking like the the attached 5 but I want to keep the car looking as Scoff and Haz done it.

Tutuur
25-11-2012, 11:05
According to Chris it was original camber at the rear and a bit toe in.

Scoff
25-11-2012, 12:06
Yes original 'front' camber I think ? It was a long time ago though. I know I ran the front wheels pretty close to 0 degrees, that helped a lot and actually in the dry you could really chuck it about but in the rain you really need to be carefull james, it'll else 'av ya :laugh:

James5
25-11-2012, 21:03
Right as promised a pic of the tiny chargecooler I have I will also say the pre rad isn't much bigger 20 x 20cm max.

Also re-meshed the rear quarter vent grill's aswell this eve:D also put and secured both the strut braces in place:agree:

Next job is to finish sorting dash wiring out.

Awaiting some good weather to remove the driver's door:(

Tutuur
25-11-2012, 21:12
Mesh looks good mate!

You don't hang about! Good progress on this one :D

The new Bill J
25-11-2012, 22:21
Bl00dy hell - Was that cooler out of a Kinder egg? :D

James5
25-11-2012, 23:06
Bl00dy hell - Was that cooler out of a Kinder egg? :D

It is tiny single core custom made pace product looks well made I dont mind using it in conjunction with an intercooler but can't see it doing a good enough job on it's own. Apparently good for 250bhp max :scared:

HAndy
26-11-2012, 07:19
It is tiny and that is my concern i dont mind using it in conjunction with and intercooler. These were used on pug 205 turbo conversions and rover turbos apparently good for 250bhp :scared:

http://www.rovertech.net/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=22846&sid=5270a097c9d9b9fe235f42ea95e77def

get yourself one of these
http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67&zenid=98d2eb7d7527f05b81d0bee9d156b1bc

i went with the 6x8 core, but will depend on how much space you've got between the turbo/throttle.:)

stu21t
26-11-2012, 13:18
I dunno if your interested but I have a pace chargecooler that is no longer being used, it's the same design as yours but a triple pass so 3 times the size of that.
I also have 2 pumps, a driver and 2 pace swirl pot fillers that I'm no longer using.
I can take some pics/measurements tonight if you want?
It would almost be a direct replacement.

James5
26-11-2012, 13:27
I dunno if your interested but I have a pace chargecooler that is no longer being used, it's the same design as yours but a triple pass so 3 times the size of that.
I also have 2 pumps, a driver and 2 pace swirl pot fillers that I'm no longer using.
I can take some pics/measurements tonight if you want?
It would almost be a direct replacement.

Pm for you:agree::D

markey b
26-11-2012, 13:44
you've had as many name changes as engine conversions nearly!! :laugh:

Tutuur
26-11-2012, 13:50
Lol! Back to James5 again :D

James had the pace unit before on his Tungy so i guess he knows what it's like :agree:

James5
26-11-2012, 13:59
Lol! Back to James5 again :D

James had the pace unit before on his Tungy so i guess he knows what it's like :agree:

:laugh: Damm was hoping no one would notice :laugh:

yeah I have had a couple of pace one's and yeah the tungy had a 2 core version, i wouldn't use that for anything over 250bhp mind but as I am not expecting over that I will go with that unit again :-) as not many options for rear engine'd car's and lack of funds stops me buying a nice big AVT jobbie. I may use the single core inline aswell so it will be 4 core:agree: (might get it alloy welded onto the 3 core to make it huge).

5teve L
26-11-2012, 15:11
Looking good matey. I will pop over later this week for a nosey round.. TBH I stay away as I know I will end up wanting another 5 otherwise :cooter:

One question though, is that tank baffled ?

James5
26-11-2012, 15:13
Looking good matey. I will pop over later this week for a nosey round.. TBH I stay away as I know I will end up wanting another 5 otherwise :cooter:

One question though, is that tank baffled ?

Your welcome over anytime matey, best coming over when i roll it out the shed otherwise it's stuck in there and it's a bit of a squash LOL I would leave out side as working on it but having no windows at rear doesn't help LOL

Yeah tank is baffled:agree:

Dave's 5 is still for sale could be a good deal to have matey:cooter:

5teve L
26-11-2012, 15:17
Your welcome over anytime matey, best coming over when i roll it out the shed otherwise it's stuck in there and it's a bit of a squash LOL I would leave out side as working on it but having no windows at rear doesn't help LOL

Yeah tank is baffled:agree:

Dave's 5 is still for sale could be a good deal to have matey:cooter:

I'd love it mate, but not got 2k, I wonder if he takes installments :wasntme:

philr5t
27-11-2012, 22:16
Come on James this thread has gone a bit quiet there must be more progress pics hiding somewhere mate looking good though

Finch
James5
James5 Horsham
Jtec
Oh and gay boy :laugh:

James5
27-11-2012, 23:22
Come on James this thread has gone a bit quiet there must be more progress pics hiding somewhere mate looking good though

Finch
James5
James5 Horsham
Jtec

No doubt get bored and another change soon :laugh:

No real progress matey weather been to bad I am just waiting some dry weather and I will roll the car out of the shed and angle grind the door of next:D

All i have done is removed the Not normal sticker of the windscreen and the rear decal also, car is now stickerless:agree:

Jobs to do

Interior List

Lower driver side plastic trim,
Lower passenger side plastic trim,
Grab handles
Roof lining to be replaced / redone,
GTT roof console,
Exterior list,

Spray Side mirror cover's,
Windscreen rubber outer seal,
Drivers side bodykit plastic black trim,

New rear number plate cover's,
Replace driver's door,
Engine to do list

New Chargecooler Pre rad,
Chargecooler Coolant pipe's,
New Chargecooler (thanks stu21t),
New Fuel lines,
Mount and secure Alloy Fuel cell,
Replace fuel level sender unit and obtain gauge for level,
Make up Rad fan relay so fan comes on via rad temp switch,
Adjust handbrake so not so many click's,
Re-do the under car engine coolant piperun and secure better,

rs250nut
27-11-2012, 23:33

Finch
James5
James5 Horsham
Jtec

Mint, the artist formally know as.............

James5
30-11-2012, 13:52
Angle grinded the door off:D glad I am not keeping the old door:laugh:

Just need to remove the top pin as it's still in situ and rusted into the hinge:crap: will cut it flush and drill it out:agree:

Also drained old engine oil and put new in, new oil filter, new sparkies, new dizzy and rota arm and fitted new oil filter, new cambelt kit to fit aswell:agree:

New number plates also ordered as the old front one was missing and the rear has seen better days.

Awaiting previous owner to send me the chargecooler pump and a couple of minor small bits that are missing

James5
06-12-2012, 15:20
Couple of pic's I now have rear quarter windows and a GTT grill (I do have badge but seem to have misplaced it sure it will turn up)

Scoff
06-12-2012, 15:30
Shame the black has worn off the quarter glasses, I remember the ones that were in were pretty good when I last saw it :( You should re-paint the inside of the glass black edge, makes a big difference to the finish I think.

philr5t
06-12-2012, 15:53
really coming on mate you have made some good progress in the short time that you have had the car, now all you need is a licence mate :cooter::wasntme:

James5
06-12-2012, 16:06
Shame the black has worn off the quarter glasses, I remember the ones that were in were pretty good when I last saw it :( You should re-paint the inside of the glass black edge, makes a big difference to the finish I think.

:agree:will see what i can do

really coming on mate you have made some good progress in the short time that you have had the car, now all you need is a licence mate :cooter::wasntme:

Its getting there wont be a show winner but will look ok, license is being sorted:D

philg
06-12-2012, 17:30
Just seen this thread, glad you have got this car, car is looking great :)

James5
06-12-2012, 19:03
Just seen this thread, glad you have got this car, car is looking great :)

Cheers Phil its not perfect and i dont want it to be just want it at a respectable level of appearance

Kris M
06-12-2012, 22:15
very nice ! :)

philr5t
06-12-2012, 22:49
James looking at your new 5 I think a set of clear front fogs would suit your car so much better than the original yellow fogs mate just my opinion :)

JRP
07-12-2012, 09:27
James looking at your new 5 I think a set of clear front fogs would suit your car so much better than the original yellow fogs mate just my opinion :)

Your opinions dont count:agree::laugh:

SCHWARTZ
07-12-2012, 11:05
James I've still got those clear lenses you sold me if ya fancy a swap, think yellow would look better on mine:D

Ashy
07-12-2012, 21:19
Found some old pics for ya....

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/RWD%20Raider/1.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/RWD%20Raider/2.jpg

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/RWD%20Raider/4.jpg

James5
08-12-2012, 10:03
Cheers Nial, crikey defo has changed a fair bit over the years:agree:

Matt Cole
09-12-2012, 09:31
Black top and jeans
:hump:

dangerous dave
09-12-2012, 10:37
Black top and jeans
:hump:

The guy on the phone?:eek:

James5
09-12-2012, 10:52
The guy on the phone?:eek:

:scared::laugh::cooter:

Innovate LC-1 usage with Adaptronic e420c non serial connection to ecu

Use the brown wire, and calibrate the Analog out 2 LC-1 to be 0V @ 10:1, and 3V @ 20:1, connect it into the O2 input on the ECU (red/yellow or black shielded wire) and within WARI select "UEGO 0-3V" as the oxygen sensor type. (innovate LC-1 is not supported e420c as directly wired to loom for adaptronic but is supported if using the 2nd serial port).

James5
16-12-2012, 15:16
Not much done:(

Yellow fog's fitted,
Made Front fog light loom from scratch (Original missing) fog's now work (be it on rear fog light switch for now need front fog light switch):D
Rear wiper blanking gromit's fitted also,
Roll cage secured in place ,
Rad fan relay circuit installed and completed,
Fuel tank mounted and secured in place,
OE Phase 2 GTT front seat's (Temporary want black bucket's),
Drivers flocked door card fitted and modified for window winder,
passenger side flocked door card fitted and modified for window winder,
Under car fuel lines made and plumbed in (not secured as yet),
rear coolant under car lines sorted ( need to secure front half as it appears to have scraped he floor possible re-routing of this required),

Noted the wiper stalk wasn't working ran a live feed in and it would appear I have no power to it also noted that when turned off they wipers don't reset to std position I assume relay failed, aslo no washer jet's working either.

Update wiper stalk now working :agree: but no washer jet's activating, actually better check there is water in there :laugh: seriously though no motor sounding so clearly electrical failure or pump:agree:

James5
12-01-2013, 23:37
Not much of an update welded a lambda boss into my ehxaust system done myself :eek: not the prettist of welds but still should be fine :Dthank god for heat wrap to cover it.:laugh:
I have also placed a large intercooler in the rear on the passenger side quarter with a large sucking fan mounted to it, still need to make up box / cowling for the intercooler and top mounts for intercooler to do. Really didn't want to use a chargecooler setup. Currently considering having a carbon air filter box in the rear and having the inlet ducting being fed beside the intercooler as this area will all be boxed in so hopefully be nice cool air.

Well I managed to sort the fuel lines from tank under bonnet and I have actually had the car idleing not for long as this was @ 11pm but for those few sec's it sounded ok idle sounded poor assume bad due to cold:agree:

I have been trying various things to talk with e420c ECU first was use my MSI GT780DXr laptop with usb to serial cable didn't work I then got a pC express card with rs232 port again didn't work, stole my old dear's old IBM T43 laptop and tried USB to serial and another new PCMICA 2 RS232 card and still no joy, managed to get hold of an older Dell 5150 laptop tried above again still no luck. Today I bought a Dell 4150 laptop with built in RS232 9 pin serial tried to connect to ECU with ignition on and still not fecking talking to ECU?? I must be doing something wrong as Davel495 managed to get his laptop to work with the ecu so it's something I am doing wrong and yes I am using the correct com port in my case this is 1:scratch: Any suggestions welcome

Scoff
13-01-2013, 00:14
Looking good james :agree: Really enjoy seeing her come back to life!

Woznaldo
13-01-2013, 02:54
:agree: looking really good mate. Stick with it.

Tutuur
13-01-2013, 06:26
nice to see some progress mate!

good solution with the intercooler. although maybe you could turn the compressor cover so you'll lose some bends?

Ashy
13-01-2013, 08:29
Noted the wiper stalk wasn't working ran a live feed in and it would appear I have no power to it also noted that when turned off they wipers don't reset to std position I assume relay failed, aslo no washer jet's working either.

I guess you've checked this but the wipers not resetting is usually the fuse itself.

Tony Walker
13-01-2013, 08:59
I guess you've checked this but the wipers not resetting is usually the fuse itself.

Cigarette lighter fuse stops the wipers working iirc.

James5
13-01-2013, 09:10
Wipers are working :-) was the cig lighter fuse, I still need to sort the washer pumps not working

Cars getting there not to much to do really

dangerous dave
13-01-2013, 09:21
Wipers are working :-) was the cig lighter fuse, I still need to sort the washer pumps not working

Cars getting there not to much to do really

Yeah, not long now.. :agree:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/yarmo_car_flip1_1_1330696!image/514087169.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/514087169.jpg

car.crash
13-01-2013, 10:04
:laugh:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/yarmo_car_flip1_1_1330696!image/514087169.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_490/514087169.jpg

DaveL485
13-01-2013, 10:38
Install the USB>SERIAL drivers (or it wont work!)

http://www.tri-plc.com/USB-RS232/drivers.htm

Pick the right OS and install from there, I know that works as I used it Thursday morning on my work laptop to connect to the Adaptronic in my 21 which had not been hooked up since it was reinstalled a few months ago.

When thats installed, Plug the cable in and the lappy should recognise it, stick the ignition on and start the WARI.exe Adaptronic programme.
When you get the initial setting window, and it says NO ECU CONNECTED, click Setup COM port and cycle through each one of the 16 (or however many options). Mine is usually around 5/6/7 depending on which USB port I use.

5teve L
13-01-2013, 20:47

James5
13-01-2013, 23:17
You lot have no faith only crashed once in 14 years of driving OK it was pretty bad.

Anyway another update

Lc1 ands db gauge installed,
intercooler fan wired into iginition live but thinking about putting inline switch in place,
Made some alloy support brackets for the intercooler top support's,

Tried to connect again to ecu and this time LC1 and no fecking luck I think its the laptop rs232 port is not working itself. the ecu 4th light comes on if I plug in the usb to serial cable but it doesn;t do anything else but the serial to serial from the rs232 does nothing at all.

Logg
14-01-2013, 06:02
James are you using the correct port on the ecu? I was helping a member connect his ecu the other week to his laptop only to find he was using a male to male or female to female cable rather than male to female and thus using the wrong port on the ecu. As soon as we used the correct cable and port it worked straight away.

James5
14-01-2013, 08:08
James are you using the correct port on the ecu? I was helping a member connect his ecu the other week to his laptop only to find he was using a male to male or female to female cable rather than male to female and thus using the wrong port on the ecu. As soon as we used the correct cable and port it worked straight away.

I will take a pic of unit and show what port I am using I am sure I am using correct port cable only goes in one port using female to male wire.
As said the led on ecu comes if usb to serial cable used but still doesnt work, the serial to serial makes no leds come on at all. also tried the laptop serial port for the lc1 and again no joy have feeling this laptop serial port is duff :(

Anyone local to southwater got a laptop with working serial port I can try?

Logg
14-01-2013, 08:38
I know my laptop works with the ecu used it on four different cars now. I could swing by and have a look if you want mate.

James5
14-01-2013, 09:21
Pic in here of ecu I am uaing ths top port in the pic if pic was correct way this would be left port

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1692&pictureid=7893

Logg I might take you up on that offer, ole Gary aka schwartz is going plug his ole lappy at end of this week and see if it works on his

DaveL485
14-01-2013, 09:25
Pic in here of ecu I am uaing ths top port in the pic if pic was correct way this would be left port

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=1692&pictureid=7893

Logg I might take you up on that offer, ole Gary aka schwartz is going plug his ole lappy at end of this week and see if it works on his

Thats the right port. Did you follow the instructions I put above?

5teve L
14-01-2013, 09:38
James i found my old serial to usb last nght if you want to try it.. also have the laed i used tk speak to dta if its the same.. will pop over with it. Pm me a good time to come over ;-)

James5
14-01-2013, 09:58
Thats the right port. Did you follow the instructions I put above?

Yeah dave I did and drivers link was awesome. I am currently formatting hdd on lappy and doing fresh install of xp just in case any others drivers are interfering with it as this oldskool lappy I have inly owned for 2 days.

Steve pm for you

Logg
14-01-2013, 11:08
Just give us a shout mate and I'll swing by. Can have a proper run through the software with you at the same time.

James5
15-01-2013, 15:13
Steve aka 5teveL popped over with his usb to serial cable and wham worked straight away with my drivers updated the e420c firmware and saved a copy of the map on the ecu. Looks like I now need to read the adaptronic guide on how to sort out idle as it's pretty rough. I did edit the fuel map for the idle by reduceing a number from 4.086 down until I got it to sound nice which ended up on 3.0 sounded much better will sort this out once I have a new Lambda sensor for the LC-1 as mine not heating up at all. Will read guide before do anything else:agree:.

many thanks for all help and advice peep's.

Cheers James

DaveL485
16-01-2013, 21:48
Steve aka 5teveL popped over with his usb to serial cable and wham worked straight away with my drivers updated the e420c firmware and saved a copy of the map on the ecu. Looks like I now need to read the adaptronic guide on how to sort out idle as it's pretty rough. I did edit the fuel map for the idle by reduceing a number from 4.086 down until I got it to sound nice which ended up on 3.0 sounded much better will sort this out once I have a new Lambda sensor for the LC-1 as mine not heating up at all. Will read guide before do anything else:agree:.

many thanks for all help and advice peep's.

Cheers James

Idled OK for me....had to knock 10% off the master fuel trim to get it through emissions but put it back after.
I found the 21 was struggling for revs at the MOT so I upped the values here (pic below) a little and set target idle a bit higher, Made a world of difference.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/DaveL485/05-1_zps9378e71f.png

Then took 20% off the master trim to make 0.714% CO emissions...the MOT tester couldnt believe it lol

Trevhib
17-01-2013, 09:02
:)

James5
17-01-2013, 09:13
:)

:agree: I have just this sceond abused the work printer and printed the manual 97 pages which no doubt I will have to read the manual a few time's to take it in:ashamed:.

e420c user's with knowledge of setting's expect a few question's :laugh:

Scoff
17-01-2013, 11:53
I dont think the rear engine car has an idle control valve. At least it didn't when Matt owned it. So idle speed will be set on the throttle body.

-20% trim to see 0.7%CO dave sounds like a lot, I'd have thought -10%. It should have been about 1.5% without adjustment unless it was still cold, etc. Maybe something is 'moving', it might be work installing some closed loop 02 :)

James5
17-01-2013, 13:19
I dont think the rear engine car has an idle control valve. At least it didn't when Matt owned it. So idle speed will be set on the throttle body.

-20% trim to see 0.7%CO dave sounds like a lot, I'd have thought -10%. It should have been about 1.5% without adjustment unless it was still cold, etc. Maybe something is 'moving', it might be work installing some closed loop 02 :)

Still No ICV installed, lambda bung welded and done and LC-1 installed need to buy a new sensor as it doesn't seem to heat up but going to double check it has power to LC-1 first:D. Then will try some closed loop :agree:

Nad-5GTT
18-01-2013, 10:19
Still No ICV installed, lambda bung welded and done and LC-1 installed need to buy a new sensor as it doesn't seem to heat up but going to double check it has power to LC-1 first:D. Then will try some closed loop :agree:

I totally agree :ashamed::scratch::eek: i may aswell be reading this part of the thread in Dutch :laugh: looking good though looking forward to seeing this one day, keep it up :)

Tutuur
18-01-2013, 10:23
lol, dat zou het voor mij een stuk makkelijker maken om te lezen :D

now, which do you understand better :laugh:

Nad-5GTT
18-01-2013, 10:38
lol, dat zou het voor mij een stuk makkelijker maken om te lezen :D

now, which do you understand better :laugh:

:laugh: and yes that does make for an easier read ;)

James5
18-01-2013, 10:38
I totally agree :ashamed::scratch::eek: i may aswell be reading this part of the thread in Dutch :laugh: looking good though looking forward to seeing this one day, keep it up :)

:laugh: no idle control valve installed. I have now weldeda lambda boss into exhaust system so can get some afr readings. The 1 st innovate lc1 is faulty does not heat up lambda anx doesnt seem to be getting any power the 2 nd lc1 although brand new it seems to be having the same issues I will check my wiring to make sure all ok. Hopefully will sort with re-doing wiring and then I can play with the standalone ecu settings and get the car to idle better.

Scoff
18-01-2013, 11:51

You still need to map it before switching closed loop on, thats what I was saying in PM, it'll run like hell if you rely on the closed loop to do the work !

James5
18-01-2013, 14:06
You still need to map it before switching closed loop on, thats what I was saying in PM, it'll run like hell if you rely on the closed loop to do the work !

:agree: :ashamed:Just read your pm have read the manual once and confused myself more:laugh: will read it again this eve.

Scoff when I pass my test again I will be straight up with the 5 for some proper mapping:agree:

(Oops left the car outside and now in the snow ;))

Well what a surprise my LC-1 and db gauge are not working :laugh: spent a few hours with Gary aka Schwartz trying known working sensor from his setup and the lc-1 wouldn't even calibrate the sensor. The gauge was giving random low reading's, anyway I had new Lc-1 to try out so wired it in and same problem :scratch: anyway checked my wiring and earth's all good. Gave up and got Innovate to take the item back for check over and see if they can sort it out. Fingers crossed they can sort something out for me. Wish I had an AEM:laugh:

James5
08-02-2013, 22:36
Well things have taken a turn for the worse, couple of update pics attached. I have not driven the car at all in my ownership and have only started engine once for no more than 3-5 mins max and noted idle was crap put it down to being cold engine.

Today I went to play with the ECU and see if I could get it running nice and sort out idle out but I unfortunatly didn't even get that far.

Car wouldn't start just coughed and spluttered within sec's smoke, had a look and noticed oil coming out of the exhaust manifold between the turbo. I took turbo off as I know this was fine and noticed the oil coming out of exhaust manifold cleaned up the manifold, joined the turbo oil feed with drain and cranked engine again with no fuel pump on and sure enough more oil coming out of the exhaust manifold, removed the sparkies and they are covered in oil :crap: Suspected fecked valve guide's can't be bothered to fix the b18ft. I was under the impression this engine was fine ohwell **** happens to me again:laugh:. Anyway long story short 1.7 is thrown in the shed corner and now doing a 1.8t 20v engine conversion:D (pic of donor car attached)

Edit
Adding some links for me to read with regards to 20v conversion mounting

Flans williams 20v

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=19479

Scoff vw 5 album

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=264

R5MJH
08-02-2013, 22:46
thats kin b@llox james you paid good money too, kin b@llox, i suppose the ONLY plus is the new engine setup tc mate mick

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
09-02-2013, 07:31
Crap.... I guess you don't need those bits I set aside for you now then?

James5
09-02-2013, 08:37
Crap.... I guess you don't need those bits I set aside for you now then?

I still want the bits matey:agree:

dangerous dave
09-02-2013, 09:08
It could only happen to you.... Most people would have chuck the tampon in, but I'm sure you'll turn it around again.. :agree:

LiamR
09-02-2013, 09:10
That's pretty friggin annoying that you bought it thinking and being told the engine was fine.

The guy who you bought it from came to mine to pick up the louvred bonnet that you have fitted. He did seem nice enough and knew his stuff. So a shame the engine is boll#xed:disagree:

Tutuur
09-02-2013, 09:56
bollox mate!

however a 20vt swap is pretty reasonable! just buy the package, convert it, map it and off you go!

if i hadn't already have a completely built f7r i would've chosen the 20vt route too i think.

btw, when the engine's out anyway could you make me some detailed pics of the engine cover structure and mods to the car?

i already have some things planned in my head but it's always good to get some inspiration, especially from this one as it was in fully working order!

cheers mate

James5
09-02-2013, 22:01
Engine out:D was much easier than I thought

Gives me a chance to tidy up the boot bay area:agree:

5teve L
10-02-2013, 09:06
I bet Lauren loves you at the mo :wasntme: best get :cooter::hump: :D

James5
10-02-2013, 09:22
I bet Lauren loves you at the mo :wasntme: best get :cooter::hump: :D

She was painting yet again so I took the opportunity to play with the car it didnt take long at all had it all out within an hour. And then watched Taken 2

car.crash
10-02-2013, 09:28
Is this the car that Elcie had?
Does it have a pair of sparco rev buckets fitted in black

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
10-02-2013, 09:57
I still want the bits matey:agree:

Ok, I'll keep them to one side.

DaveL485
10-02-2013, 16:59
The engine was installed by the guy who had it before me, after the original one gave up. It was sourced from a 340(?) Turbo on eBay bought spares/repairs for the lump which was reportedly good. It was fitted but never went anywhere until I bought it, after I did some work on (other stuff) I drove it to the MOT station and back with no issues including a genuine pass. No oil leaks, no blue smoke and certainly not oil coming out as you pictured.

The only other time I drove it was to put it on the buyers trailer. I guess somewhere between here, and you, its been driven on heavy throttle- thats what killed the last lump too seeing as its not mapped right.

Sorry to hear the news mate!

Scoff
10-02-2013, 18:04
Hmn, the last engine wasn't mapped because it was forever pressurising preventing me from doing any kind of real map. So was there another engine in between ? Ah but then I heard the owner before you Dave had not been told that it was not mapped ! And so presumably killed it the first time he tried big throttle. That'll do it :crap:

James5
11-02-2013, 10:51
I would say the engine was changed as it's not a clean engine like the magazine shoots from back in the day it is a very dirty engine on the outside for the mileage it would have covered which is prob next to nothing , I would agree it was prob on its way out been driven hard on the base map. Wish I could have driven it with the B18ft in place bit never mind lets move on :D 20v t conversion :agree:

Logg
11-02-2013, 11:15
Sorry to here this James chin up, 20v lump sounds like a great choice

The engine was installed by the guy who had it before me, after the original one gave up. It was sourced from a 340(?) Turbo on eBay bought spares/repairs for the lump which was reportedly good.

I wonder if it was my mate Iain's old 340 with 440 turbo lump. He built a 2.0 b18ft lump for the new owner of it a few years ago, think he used a Laguna crank as well loads of other stuff.

DaveL485
11-02-2013, 22:28
Hmn, the last engine wasn't mapped because it was forever pressurising preventing me from doing any kind of real map. So was there another engine in between ? Ah but then I heard the owner before you Dave had not been told that it was not mapped ! And so presumably killed it the first time he tried big throttle. That'll do it :crap:

It was rebuilt from that, and popped again as my buddy didnt know it wasnt mapped, whatsisface told him it was.

Gttnutter
12-02-2013, 22:32
Got a complete mk4 1.8t golf on a Y plate. Cable throttle. Big port head. AGU

It's actually a clean inside out good car mot and some tax. Nothing wrong bar a bait of play in wishbone bushes. Engine and box healthy.

James5
12-02-2013, 23:26
Got a complete mk4 1.8t golf on a Y plate. Cable throttle. Big port head. AGU

It's actually a clean inside out good car mot and some tax. Nothing wrong bar a bait of play in wishbone bushes. Engine and box healthy.

If thats for me Rich cheers but got all that already from a mk4 golf gti:D Going to use the complete std setup and run it on the Adaptronic:agree:

philg
13-02-2013, 16:27
Sorry to here this James. You really are a glass is half full sort of guy :).

1.8 20v sounds a great plan though, I will be keeping a close eye on this.

car.crash
13-02-2013, 16:28
Having the vag lump in the front will be mental.
Having it in the rear will be deadly.
Rip James :laugh:

tom t
14-02-2013, 23:36
Will be sweet with the vag lump. Glad to see ure still cracking On getting stuck in bud

James5
15-02-2013, 09:35
Ok spent Valentines day afternoon with Steve:cooter: we managed to strip most of the golf down and got the lump out. Needs a good clean and I will service it with new belts etc.. decided I am also going to use the golfs large rad and twin fan setup aswell. Also got the gearstick and linkage out and the gearknob has a nice wood effect lol Couple pics attached. Also invested in a Clarke 130en welder gas and non gas mig.

Plan is to use it in std form with the e420c and possibly fit a k04 turbo, power wise not after big power 200-250bhp . As above really dont want to kill myself.

car.crash
15-02-2013, 09:39
Before you fit the fans check they work on both low and high speed. On the passenger side of the rad there will be a 3 pin plug. 1 earth 1 high 1 low
The low speed resistors burn out and they only fun flat out which blows fuses.
Easy fix for around £30 or £450 for new fans.
Very common problem on those fans.

James5
15-02-2013, 09:42
Before you fit the fans check they work on both low and high speed. On the passenger side of the rad there will be a 3 pin plug. 1 earth 1 high 1 low
The low speed resistors burn out and they only fun flat out which blows fuses.
Easy fix for around £30 or £450 for new fans.
Very common problem on those fans.

Cheers Mark will check them out:agree:

car.crash
15-02-2013, 09:49
Mine went on the leon. It's more important for the AC to run but when the car reaches 90 degrees or just over then rotate on low speed. If the resistors have gone then they pulse on high and blow the fuse. You then overheat.

It was a little fiddly soldering the loom when fitted to the car and I had loads of room. You won't have much and will need to pull it out to fix.
Test it with a spare battery and 2 bits of wire to the terminals. Both fans should spin on high and low.

James5
15-02-2013, 10:47
Also engine is an ARY trying to find some details about it cant seem to find much info also is there a downloadable workshop manual??

car.crash
15-02-2013, 10:56
There may be some on ebay.
Check out ukmk4s forum. Those guys are pretty helpful and plenty of how tos etc.
you will probably want a copy of vagcom too and a lead but I'm sure they will have their recommendations.
I managed to get a workshop manual for the seat off ebay for a few quid but can't remember if it goes into detail on the engine and the laptop is now at Daves house downloading obscenities by his brother so I can't even look.
There's many differant variants of that engine so use your code.

philr5t
15-02-2013, 11:37
Also engine is an ARY trying to find some details about it cant seem to find much info also is there a downloadable workshop manual??

let me know what manuals you need mate and ill try and get them from my parts department at work :agree: or any info you need let me know

Tutuur
16-02-2013, 09:38
gotta love how helpful you guys in the UK are :agree:

Gttnutter
16-02-2013, 12:20
ARY is generally a 180 1.8t as is an AUQ in a anniversary.

Vw did produce a standard 1.8t golf with 180 but fare And few between. How old is the golf it came out off James? Have you still got the shell? Check the boot sticker/service book to double check the code. Most ARY's are in old tt''s.

A k04 with a good map/flow will see 250-260, rods are weakest point. Anything over 300 and you'll be having to play internal

car.crash
16-02-2013, 12:27
Nuggets dead right.
I would also bung a clutch in whilst its out.

James5
16-02-2013, 13:36
ARY is generally a 180 1.8t as is an AUQ in a anniversary.

Vw did produce a standard 1.8t golf with 180 but fare And few between. How old is the golf it came out off James? Have you still got the shell? Check the boot sticker/service book to double check the code. Most ARY's are in old tt''s.

A k04 with a good map/flow will see 250-260, rods are weakest point. Anything over 300 and you'll be having to play internal

Cheers Rich defo a ARY the car it was from is a 98 plate S reg mk4 golf. Steve still has the shell so will take Look af the area's you said. I am after 250bhp max

Marc ref clutch got a g60 flywheel to go on and need to source clutch. I also need to get hold of the hydraulic to cable conversion kit aswell. Well the mk1 mechanical bit that bolts ro box

Edit updated with pic of Donor vehicle

Gttnutter
16-02-2013, 18:52
The reason I asked was just to find out if it was the original engine to the car. As its an early throttle cable then perhaps..as it matches around the age of the car.

Unless of course the data stickers were changed aswell. One quick way to tell would be if the turbo was a ko3 then likely an oe engine but not 180. Audi used that engine I believe with the ko3s or even the ko4 in around 2000

car.crash
16-02-2013, 18:55
I thought the k04 was only on the 2 big engines. I'm sure his would be the 3 or 3s
Rich are we still good to scan my car on Monday, think the MAF has failed.

Gttnutter
16-02-2013, 19:25
Audi wouldn't of used a ko3 for the 180 ARY because that wouldn't of been well in the safe zone of there final production. These ary's have 19mm pins not the normal 20mm pins you see in the agu auq etc. so weaker rods which would say to me audi stuck with the ko3s.

James, you'll want to take it easy as k04+torque will work those rods hard.

That's fine still for ace. Txt me and remind me to bring it home on Monday daytime whilst at work marc

JRP
16-02-2013, 19:55
K04 turbos were used on the b5 rs4's and ko3 turbos were used on the b5 s4's of the same era.... Typical s4 upgrade was a k04 from k03

James this sounds beastly.

tom t
16-02-2013, 21:49
defo K04 sweet! another member from seatcupra.net car.crash hi dude!

car.crash
16-02-2013, 21:57
:yeah:

Tutuur
17-02-2013, 06:17
could you make some pics from inside the weel arch too mate? getting a pretty big collection off pics on this car now :D

James5
17-02-2013, 09:19
could you make some pics from inside the weel arch too mate? getting a pretty big collection off pics on this car now :D

One 4 u Arthur I will get more

James5
17-02-2013, 09:36
Audi wouldn't of used a ko3 for the 180 ARY because that wouldn't of been well in the safe zone of there final production. These ary's have 19mm pins not the normal 20mm pins you see in the agu auq etc. so weaker rods which would say to me audi stuck with the ko3s.

James, you'll want to take it easy as k04+torque will work those rods hard.

That's fine still for ace. Txt me and remind me to bring it home on Monday daytime whilst at work marc

Turbo on engine at mo is a k03 - 052

Found this
http://audittmk1.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/kkk-turbos-k03-k03s-k04-etc.html?m=1

5teve L
17-02-2013, 11:17
KO3s it looks like from those pics anyway as it has that weird compressor outlet.

andybond
17-02-2013, 14:42
STOP TALKING START FITTING.

Dont you start laughing Steve - get over to James and tell Lolly that James has to finish the car.

dangerous dave
18-02-2013, 09:44

Marc's cars a bit of a legend in some circles on seat.net..

James5
18-02-2013, 10:48
STOP TALKING START FITTING.

Dont you start laughing Steve - get over to James and tell Lolly that James has to finish the car.

I am hoping to play tonight if Steve drops of my axle stands so I can drop the 5's rear subframe.:D

James5
19-02-2013, 22:50
Ok a slight update I managed to get the following done tonight

New cambelt kit fitted
New water pump fitted
I managed to snap the front block breather pipe:crap:
Painted block and gearbox
Ordered a g60 flywheel and clutch
I even managed to squeeze the mk4 golf gti rad into the car aswell tight squeeze but its in I need to make new brackets for the fuel tank support now.

Oh and subframe is ready to come out aswell now for modification

tom t
19-02-2013, 23:25
Is that the black plastic bit at the front of the block James? THere crap and get really brittle as you've found out lol. The breather pipes all the way up are the same so whilst its all out could be worthwhile looking for replacements. Creation motorsports on eBay are reasonable. Also the dipstick guide is the same kinda crap brittle plastic.

Hmm haven't seen much of Marc's car on seatcupra.net or do you mean his 5 over there?

James5
19-02-2013, 23:39
Is that the black plastic bit at the front of the block James? THere crap and get really brittle as you've found out lol. The breather pipes all the way up are the same so whilst its all out could be worthwhile looking for replacements. Creation motorsports on eBay are reasonable. Also the dipstick guide is the same kinda crap brittle plastic.

Hmm haven't seen much of Marc's car on seatcupra.net or do you mean his 5 over there?

Yeah bloody brittle plastic crap I hardley touched it and it fell apart :wasntme: I will check out that ebay seller you mentioned and see what I can get.
many thanks

James5
21-02-2013, 22:09
Slow progress I'm afraid

Nad-5GTT
22-02-2013, 13:00
You certainly aren't slow bud, what you've done in last few weeks takes me around 2 years :ashamed:. Are you on the road again? When's this beast going to be roadworthy then.

5teve L
23-02-2013, 10:28
Yeah that plastic is ****e, I had to change the one on my S3 as it fell to bits as well.

James5
23-02-2013, 17:41
Had a free hour this afternoon so cut up the subframe so the vw sump has clearance needs a tad more cutting and its done. Then will strengthen / plate it up. Also cut up the vw d/shafts and the 5 d/shafts looks like I need to use a lathe on one and I need to sleeth the other. Once I finish subframe the mounts will be next and then the d/shaft's.

James5
26-02-2013, 14:33
Finally obtained it:agree: Cheers mr Grier and philr5t and Phil's part's man Lee:agree:

In progress of working on engine mount's

Wallace
26-02-2013, 19:02
Dayyyym you don't fock about do you:wasntme::agree:

Enjoying your thread James keep it up mate:coffee:

James5
08-03-2013, 23:08
Done some more tonight couple of engine mounts to finish off thought would give the neighbours a break from the noise tonight in fact the mrs' s moaned :-(.

Ok coolant pipes on the engine all connected up other than the header tank using the OEM jobbies for now want to get it running before spend the cash on silicone jobbies.

Started on converting the OEM VW loom to Adaptronic E420c to which I will make notes for anyone else wanting to do the covnersion in the future.

philr5t
08-03-2013, 23:25
Looking quality James looking forward to seeing this on the road did that gear box part fit ok ?

James5
08-03-2013, 23:50
Looking quality James looking forward to seeing this on the road did that gear box part fit ok ?

Gearbox part fitted perfect matey

Nad-5GTT
09-03-2013, 08:05
Looks quite catching in pink:D your next post will be to say it's all in and running you work so quick

James5
19-03-2013, 09:19
Looks quite catching in pink:D your next post will be to say it's all in and running you work so quick

Honest the pink was Mrs's choice:ashamed: :laugh: I wish it was in and running been really slack due to flu and being busy at work.

Done

New Walbro 255 installed,
New Fuel filter installed,
Mk4 golf push n click rear fuel lines done,
Cleaned and painted up rear calipers done,
Treated and redone some of the welding in the rear,
Cut large rear section out of rear of 5 (will make a better stiffer bolt in removable item)
removed GTT gear stick and linkage setup

To do

Finish the O/S/R engine bracket and gearbox N/S/F bracket,
Finish off the engine loom just the VW TB TPS and VW Stepper idle motor wires to work out what does what,
Driveshaft fabrication,
Golf Mk4 GTi Nylon fuel lines to be installed and secured under car,
Secure alloy fuel tank,
Under car coolant lines to be re-done and secured properly,
Install Golf Gearstick and get cable's extended (anyone with rwd 5 no length to be added?),
Wire in the Mk4 golf low and High speed fan switch setup,
Jack up the rear of car another 6"'s so engine can slide in on subframe underneath on the engine crane leg's
Install engine into rear of 5
Make exhaust system,
Do a base map
Weld new N/S/R upper bumper bracket on

Os8472
19-03-2013, 09:39
Speak to HAndy about gear linkage lengths, he's just fitted a vag box in the back of his 5

James5
19-03-2013, 10:29
Speak to HAndy about gear linkage lengths, he's just fitted a vag box in the back of his 5

:agree:Cheers Oli dropped him a pm

HAndy
19-03-2013, 18:24

that was almost 5 months ago :D not "just fitted"

james got your pm and replied, you will need to measure carefully, dont be affraid to allow a 200mm etc more of cable, than your finished measurement, as it was around £120 per cable i think, plus postage, you could also try steel rods connected to a set of cables in the gear stick /selector box and a set out of the
gearbox end and put the link rods in the centre as a cheaper way of getting it to work, although when i tried this method , i could not get rid of the flex between the joints from cable to rod connections , which kept jamming up the selector movement, might work better for you than it did for me:coffee:, i gather you are running yours under the car or inside?

link http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/

ran my alloy coolant pipes through bulk head and it my cabin area and then out to the rear enginge area, leaving the floor pan underside free for the cables, which face foward and curve around the the passenger side footwell area and into the gear box, i clipped the cables every 600mm to stop them from dragging /catching anything

you might or should i say will need to strengthen the rear wishbones, as they will flex under load and move around which will not help steering, almost killed me ;) dedicated rose jointed rods is the way foward, i wouldnt like to chance it with a bolted /welded steering rack:scared: not when pushing 250 bhp + just in case, would also maybe fit a box section steel at the back of subframe as well:cartman:

HAndy
19-03-2013, 18:37
when i was speaking to blocky @last years national day, he showed me his gear selector set up it was different, and i think he used a 21 gear selector box, modified cant be sure :scratch: but he had issues with it, which is why i stuck with o.e set up.

here is a piccy posted in my project thraed by tutor, showing what i was on about., although this is not blockys car , this has a 21 lump in the back:cool: just a thought

http://www.motorsportmarkt.de/uploads/inserate/rennfahrzeuge/526943/thumbs/a897bc4c1b15bff590a481b85f33bf97fe50b3fc-600x480-1-1-0.jpg

James5
22-03-2013, 22:53
Not the best pic but I am soaked, knackered and a little achy but engine is in the 5:D

Tutuur
23-03-2013, 05:11
happy times :D

R5MJH
23-03-2013, 07:01
Well done mate, not long now before its done :) get your driving test done also!! :agree:

philr5t
23-03-2013, 07:21
Cracking stuff James looks good in the boot mate where you gonna put the shopping now :laugh: keep up the hard work should look great on the road :agree:

5teve L
23-03-2013, 08:18
Good stuff James. Not much to do now then :scared::cooter:

James5
25-03-2013, 23:34
In and on all for wheels for now:laugh:

Tutuur
26-03-2013, 04:56
driving tomorrow? :D

mattk
26-03-2013, 13:07
Looking good mate, keep up the good work :cool:

philr5t
26-03-2013, 13:10
Another pic from tonight

whats that water bottle from in the pic mate is it the golf bottle ??????

James5
26-03-2013, 14:16
whats that water bottle from in the pic mate is it the golf bottle ??????

Yeah it's the crappy mk4 golf bottle needs replacing at somepoint, but for now need is to get running.:D

DaveL485
27-03-2013, 08:49
driving tomorrow? :D

....wrapped around a lamp-post the day after :eek: :hehe:

James5
27-03-2013, 09:09
....wrapped around a lamp-post the day after :eek: :hehe:

This isn't going to be your every day car, just a car to drive to and from event's and local meet's.

tom t
28-03-2013, 09:54
Awesome stuff bud. Gana be such a weapon! So makes me miss the 5 seeing all this work being done.

shaggy
29-03-2013, 10:45
That is the nuts James mate. :agree:

Brigsy
29-03-2013, 11:41
Looks like its getting there mate! Did you need to chop subframe to make room?

James5
29-03-2013, 18:56
Looks like its getting there mate! Did you need to chop subframe to make room?

Alot of chopping need on the drivers side and then plating and strengthening.

Wallace
29-03-2013, 18:58
look forward to seeing this James:agree:

Keep the updates coming:agree:

R5MJH
29-03-2013, 23:21
hope we get a shotgun ride in this james, this thing aint going to be funny:laugh: CANT WAIT lol

philr5t
30-03-2013, 01:50
hope we get a shotgun ride in this james, this thing aint going to be funny:laugh: CANT WAIT lol

Judging by where that lumps situated mate I think the only place you can sit is shotgun :D

Blocky
30-03-2013, 11:17
when i was speaking to blocky @last years national day, he showed me his gear selector set up it was different, and i think he used a 21 gear selector box, modified cant be sure :scratch: but he had issues with it, which is why i stuck with o.e set up.

My Clio is currently using a modified VW corrado remote unit. I've battled to get a decent gearchange for a while, and i still have plans to rework it yet.

Originally i ordered some longer cables from cabletec also. They returned them having used the original ends from the VW cables i sent them. Bonus i thought.....until i tried to fit and make them work. They routed forward 'as stock' from the stick, curled back round underneath the front subframe and then back round and over the gearbox into the original brackets. ..... Turned out they had far too much slop in them ( i think due to the inner cable 'snaking' up inside ) and even with a slight curve they would start to bind. I spoke to cabletec, and it turns out they have 2 factories, both with different websites and both in different towns. The one i used was at Ellesmere Port. A helpful chap at the Nottingham factory thinks i've been supplied the wrong type of cables. They should be maroon iirc and mine are grey :-( At another £250 to try again i thought i'll try other avenues first.

I considered turning round the remote, but that brings the problem of the reverse gate being in the wrong place along with a world of other things !

Basically i extended the rear of the remote box, and swapped about the cable entry so they entered from the rear. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :cooter: Reversing the cable entry meant parts of the linkage were getting in the way....when previously they didn't. After much welding and cursing, along with some custom ends i made to attach the cables, it was a step closer.

On the gearbox top i made a new bracket to reverse the entry to the the selector tower. I now needed cables that were a 1/3 of the length. I cut down the ornamental cabletec jobs and modified the ends. Thankfully it worked. Not perfectly, but at least it's useable now. I try to be gentle with it as i'm cautious of it failing.

My plan is to use original length VW cables in this current reversed configuration, they will reach the rear firewall. From that point to the stick i'm hoping rose jointed rods supported on eyelets will do the trick

stu21t
30-03-2013, 11:55
This is who made my gear selector cables.
http://www.rcscables.com/

They are very good

HAndy
30-03-2013, 12:58
My Clio is currently using a modified VW corrado remote unit. I've battled to get a decent gearchange for a while, and i still have plans to rework it yet.

Originally i ordered some longer cables from cabletec also. They returned them having used the original ends from the VW cables i sent them. Bonus i thought.....until i tried to fit and make them work. They routed forward 'as stock' from the stick, curled back round underneath the front subframe and then back round and over the gearbox into the original brackets. ..... Turned out they had far too much slop in them ( i think due to the inner cable 'snaking' up inside ) and even with a slight curve they would start to bind. I spoke to cabletec, and it turns out they have 2 factories, both with different websites and both in different towns. The one i used was at Ellesmere Port. A helpful chap at the Nottingham factory thinks i've been supplied the wrong type of cables. They should be maroon iirc and mine are grey :-( At another £250 to try again i thought i'll try other avenues first.

I considered turning round the remote, but that brings the problem of the reverse gate being in the wrong place along with a world of other things !

Basically i extended the rear of the remote box, and swapped about the cable entry so they entered from the rear. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :cooter: Reversing the cable entry meant parts of the linkage were getting in the way....when previously they didn't. After much welding and cursing, along with some custom ends i made to attach the cables, it was a step closer.

On the gearbox top i made a new bracket to reverse the entry to the the selector tower. I now needed cables that were a 1/3 of the length. I cut down the ornamental cabletec jobs and modified the ends. Thankfully it worked. Not perfectly, but at least it's useable now. I try to be gentle with it as i'm cautious of it failing.

My plan is to use original length VW cables in this current reversed configuration, they will reach the rear firewall. From that point to the stick i'm hoping rose jointed rods supported on eyelets will do the trick

just to confirm mine are the "maroon type "and have worked perfectly ,even with the curves in the cable etc, and were from the nottingham branch:)

Blocky
31-03-2013, 16:39
just to confirm mine are the "maroon type "and have worked perfectly ,even with the curves in the cable etc, and were from the nottingham branch:)

Interesting. So buying some 'correct ones' may save me alot of dicking around..... How long are your cables m8 ??

HAndy
01-04-2013, 21:23
Interesting. So buying some 'correct ones' may save me alot of dicking around..... How long are your cables m8 ??

now your asking ??????? i cant remember , but 3128mm rings a bell:scratch:

thats with a foward facing selector system also , i will have to dig out the reciept from the folders of paper work, will get bact to you tomorrow evening on that one ;)

James5
02-04-2013, 15:22
Cheers for all the very useful info guys will look into that over the next few weeks.

Project seems to be 1 step forward and 2 steps back at the moment in that I am re-doing bit's I previosuly sorted for the b18ft and now having to change all for the VW setup hope the conversion is worth it at the end.

My car is a vw in a 5 shell:laugh:

HAndy
02-04-2013, 17:26
Cheers for all the very useful info guys will look into that over the next few weeks.

Project seems to be 1 step forward and 2 steps back at the moment in that I am re-doing bit's I previosuly sorted for the b18ft and now having to change all for the VW setup hope the conversion is worth it at the end.

My car is a vw in a 5 shell:laugh:

your not fitting the 5 spd box are you? go 6 speed 02m if you can ,rwd and traction =more grip:D jp build thread shows you what to do, will save pulling the box out again, more long term relability, and because yours is already vw ,should be a fair bit cheaper also;)

James5
02-04-2013, 17:38
your not fitting the 5 spd box are you? go 6 speed 02m if you can ,rwd and traction =more grip:D jp build thread shows you what to do, will save pulling the box out again, more long term relability, and because yours is already vw ,should be a fair bit cheaper also;)

Not going already fitted the 5 speed box o2m will have to be future upgrade

HAndy
02-04-2013, 19:22
Not going already fitted the 5 speed box o2m will have to be future upgrade

you will hate the super slow snychro of the 5 speed:crap:

and not much better strength wise than the jc5 box:laugh:

Ashy
02-04-2013, 19:47
and not much better strength wise than the jc5 box:laugh:

Mines holding up OK :confused:

James5
17-04-2013, 20:39
Very small update started exhaust, plan is 3.5" out of turbo then 3.5" all the way through with a 3.5" Simons small silencer (I currently have a 2.5" Simons Silencer would like to use this but not got space to use 2 x reducers :crap:) and finish up with a 3.5" scorpion tailpipe (always liked the scorpion tailpipe).

I just hope all the changes I am doing is not runing what Scoff and Haz done originally. Like to think I am giving it what it needed :agree:

Wallace
17-04-2013, 22:10
Fits in there beaut mate:agree:

Any ideas when it'll be up and running?

Planning on a RR session?

Just ask cause really interested on what sort of power it would produce:cool:

philr5t
17-04-2013, 22:12
Looking good mate keep at it atleast I now get to keep on at you to finish your project :D

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2013, 22:38
Who washed it?:cooter:

SCHWARTZ
17-04-2013, 22:38
Looking good matey

stu21t
17-04-2013, 22:56
Your flying with this
Looks some much cleaner/nicer then mine!

Tutuur
18-04-2013, 05:56
lovely mate, really it looks awesome!