PDA

View Full Version : Stupid fuel pump question

Slammed 66
12-11-2012, 09:23
Ok this is a bit of a daft one,

I've not used my 5 since national day and yesterday went down to the unit to check it over.

Now, it's always started first time since I've had it but yesterday just wouldn't play.

With a shot of easy start into the plenum it would fire but when the easy start ran out it would stop. So, no fuel in the carb.

The fuel level is just off empty but I've driven it on the empty mark before with no issues.

One thing I did notice was that I couldn't hear my fuel pump doing anything. But I'm sure I've never heard it before either.

I removed the fuse box and gave all 4 relays a wiggle and a tap (don't know which one is for the pump) and I went under the car and gave the pump a slap with a bar but that didn't do anything either.

Should my fuel pump make an audible noise when the ignition is on or when cranking?

Thanks

Ross

StuHERTS
12-11-2012, 09:44
Mine makes an audible noise like a humming when running idle,
notice it more when im on low.
I thought the pump was on its way out because i hadn't heard that before but only had it 6 weeks and always had at least a £10's worth of fuel in it.

Kris M
12-11-2012, 13:00
should hear pump running whilst listening catefully. will only run whilst cranking or engine running. most likely be fuel pump relay. bi rectangular cartier relay near fusebox. brgge the red and white wires and lsten for the pump !