PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Heat Shield Fitting

Flight666
11-11-2012, 20:48
Hi Guys I know this is a lame question of what in theory I would imagine is a straight forward job but what is the easiest method of fitting the turbo heat shield could I bu55ery wangle it through yesterday when I was trying to fit it no matter how much I wiggled it round.do I have to remove the small stainless pipe from the back of turbo elbow to give enough access through (the nut was fackin tight on here so would need a bit of heat to shift it) In my defence I was doing several jobs at once on the 5 and only had a few mins with the heat shield as I wanted a quick bit of boosting before dark thanks for any pointers..

Mr Raider
11-11-2012, 22:05
Is it the original heat shield? they can become a bit fragile when removed/refitted several times over.

Flight666
11-11-2012, 22:53
Yes its a brand new original shield.At the moment I have a stainless steel affair fitted hence why I was a bit baffled as to how you fit the original over/under the manfold area.had the new one knocking around a while and thought I`d better get my ar5e in gear.thanks

Renault 5 GT Turbo
11-11-2012, 23:16
Get the stainless steel pipe undone and out the way, then wrap your heat shield with a large polythene bag - this will make it easier to get it around the back of the manifold and stop the foil being torn off the heat shield as it catches on its way past the manifold.

It helps to have one person pushing it from the passenger side, and another person on the drivers side giving it a tug!