PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best or funniest bodge you have done to your car?

Kenobi
16-12-2008, 14:37
Today I made my rad fan work with a paper clip. I felt all macgyver.

Whats the best bodge you guys have done?

:)

Markey Mark (BD)
16-12-2008, 17:03
Today I made my rad fan work with a paper clip. I felt all macgyver.

Whats the best bodge you guys have done?

But thats not the best you have done is it mate:D

dgdogz
16-12-2008, 17:16
its not that good but its the only thing ive ever bodged

held my bumper up with a shoelace

Adey aka Ewok
16-12-2008, 17:59
saw logg make an actuator from a spring and im sure it did ring laps like it too lol

Markey Mark (BD)
16-12-2008, 18:03
I had a broken timing sensor wire years ago and quick fixed it with chewing gum, stuck it together nicely:D

wrightygtt
16-12-2008, 18:08
When I was in Newquay once, my side exit exhaust fell off in the centre of town about 2 in the morning, I had nothing to tie it with and because it was so dark couldn't see fcuk all under the car, so ripped my shirt up and tied the exhaust bracket to clamp underside, to get me home. cold night that one!
Not really a bodge just a case of by any means to save the embarrassment as club kick out time was at 2.30.:dearme::ashamed:

BriC
16-12-2008, 18:24
Yeh, not my bodge, but a friend of mines. His exhaust bracket broke at the backbox, so rather than get it fixed properly, he held it on with tape / string / anything he could find. He had to keep re-doing it as the exhaust melted the tape / string / whatever he had on it that week.

Kenobi
16-12-2008, 18:43
But thats not the best you have done is it mate:D

Now now Mr G. you know our confidentiality agreement.

Chris Hebden
16-12-2008, 18:54
Rad fan wire broke on the switch, so i used the cigerette lighted to strip the wire and then used some chewing gum to hold the 2wires bridged untill i got home! Worked a treat through the traffic!

Purple_rob
16-12-2008, 19:36
This one made me laugh again. Its not a bodge tothe car necessarily, but check out the engine hoist made from weight lifting rigs and brass bar.

Then the rope to the Geni!! Class or what!!!!

HAHA

jesus in the seat of a 5
16-12-2008, 19:38
This one made me laugh again. Its not a bodge tothe car necessarily, but check out the engine hoist made from weight lifting rigs and brass bar.

Then the rope to the Geni!! Class or what!!!!

HAHA

PURE GENIUS..kinda thing id do.....:laugh:

stu21t
16-12-2008, 21:39
when i took the cossie 5 to get mapped after refitting the 2nd engine i had to drive 100miles to the mapper,
didnt think to take any tools with me,

about 10miles from the workshop the gear linkage came off, the nut holding the cable to the gearbox had fallen off

having no tools all i could do was cut off a cable tie with the nail clippers that were on my keys and use that to hold the linkage together, and hope it held together
worked tho lol

Logg
16-12-2008, 21:47
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

saw logg make an actuator from a spring and im sure it did ring laps like it too lol

That was Big Dan c idea! Got us from the Tesco's in Ashford and all the way to the hotel! :) oh and it held 4psi and got 120mph out of it!

The group S Slinky actuator

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=3127

Then at the hotel Dan did one better with some bit's from Krissy M's tool kit!

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=90&pictureid=3128

wrightygtt
16-12-2008, 21:49
ahhhhhhhhhhh, the beloved cable tie, is there anything they can't do:worship:

car.crash
16-12-2008, 21:50
at least my weld didnt snap ay logg :p.

big dan c used his shoe lace and tied it to his throttle and pulled on it from outside the window as the cable snapped.

Logg
16-12-2008, 21:55
at least my weld didnt snap ay logg :p.

big dan c used his shoe lace and tied it to his throttle and pulled on it from outside the window as the cable snapped.

Yeah I remember him telling me about that so when my one snapped I linked loads of cable ties together and did it that way till I got home! :)

Woznaldo
17-12-2008, 08:04
When I got my first GTT it used to jump out of 5th gear. Not wanting to hold it in on the motorway I secured a bungy from the gearstick to under the dash! It was really a 2 man operation in use with me sliding the lever into 5th and shouting "Bungy" while my mates would wrap the bungy loop around the lever.

Lasted over a year.:laugh:

Kenobi
17-12-2008, 09:20
When I got my first GTT it used to jump out of 5th gear. Not wanting to hold it in on the motorway I secured a bungy from the gearstick to under the dash! It was really a 2 man operation in use with me sliding the lever into 5th and shouting "Bungy" while my mates would wrap the bungy loop around the lever.

Lasted over a year.:laugh:

Thats soo 'A' team. well funny :laugh:

Sparkie
17-12-2008, 11:00
my turbo once gave up the ghost at bruntingthorpe, so i dismantled the turbo and made a blanking plate out of the metal top off a grease tin.
got me home too!

i also bent a pushrod after a rolling road day at northampton motorsport. so i drove back there, took the pushrod out and hammered it back straight and refitted it- got me home again.
if you look at the capped pipe to the right of the RR entrance, you can still see the line i put in the cap from hammering the pushrod on it.....

Tony Walker
17-12-2008, 11:19
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I snapped my kinglead, the only thing i had in my car was a ticket for a car park. wrapped it around the lead and got me home :)

redwarrior82
24-12-2008, 09:29
First post!

Exhaust fell off in Asda car park, so went into asda and bought a garden hose on offer £3.99! tied it under the exhaust and through the inside of the door, pulled it tight and used the door to keep it locked in place. Got so many funny looks, absolute shocker!!!

c7borg
24-12-2008, 09:56
not on my 5 but on an old car running 40's the throttle cable snapped and I had no tools to I used a 1 pence piece to open the throttle to about 2K rpm, it got me home

Mart
24-12-2008, 11:30
my turbo once gave up the ghost at bruntingthorpe, so i dismantled the turbo and made a blanking plate out of the metal top off a grease tin.
got me home too!

I remember that day well :D

Markey Mark (BD)
24-12-2008, 12:18
I remember that day well :D

I remember that too, very clever bit of work there. ;)

Bod
24-12-2008, 14:55
Wasn,t a bodge but on my grey 5 i never got round to sorting out my central locking when it was delocked so everyone had to climb in through the boot the wife wasn,t impressed as she hates 5,s anyway and the kids used to moan climbing over the back seats,worked well untill someone parks up behind me:)

J$£5GTT
24-12-2008, 15:06
Wasn,t a bodge but on my grey 5 i never got round to sorting out my central locking when it was delocked so everyone had to climb in through the boot the wife wasn,t impressed as she hates 5,s anyway and the kids used to moan climbing over the back seats,worked well untill someone parks up behind me:)

brill ! :D

bruce did a nice throttle return bodge at the ring on my 5 using
springs from my tool kit.but like a lot of people zip ties
are diamonds:)

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-12-2008, 19:49
My mixture screw blew out of the carb base on a French auto-route......I shoved a biro in the hole and it got me home...over 300 miles.
When I got home and changed the carb, the inside of the inlet manifold was blue.:D

royz
24-12-2008, 20:37
ahhhhhhhhhhh, the beloved cable tie, is there anything they can't do:worship:

hold up a front pipe. they tend to melt after a few miles:laugh:

Sparkie
10-01-2009, 10:20
my cv joint was running abit dry going down the m5 last night in my citroen ax. it was warbling away and wouldnt shut up!
so i had to pull over at the nearest service station.....

obviously no grease being sold, so i bought a tub of Flora margerine, and filled the cv joint with that instead.

worked a bloody treat i tell ya!!! -drove for another hour and still no noise!

Nayls
10-01-2009, 10:41
my cv joint was running abit dry going down the m5 last night in my citroen ax. it was warbling away and wouldnt shut up!
so i had to pull over at the nearest service station.....

obviously no grease being sold, so i bought a tub of Flora margerine, and filled the cv joint with that instead.

worked a bloody treat i tell ya!!! -drove for another hour and still no noise!

:laugh: brilliant!

Moggy
10-01-2009, 14:27
now come on sparkie

the best bodge you ever done.............

changing a piston and liner at pod?

doing a head gasket just after we got off the boat in france??

there's got to be more!!!!

but i still think your best one........ black tights over the rear lights on the shed! and stringy nearly running in the back of you on the M6 coming back from pod! aahhh they where the days

alister
05-04-2009, 19:22
not on a r5 but, one morning driving to work in my mini engine cut out, quick poke about and i found a lead going to the coil had snapped, no tools so a hunt on the verge found a coke can, used it to strip the wire and wrapped it round the terminal, job done! drove round like that for afew months til the engine burnt a valve....
Oh and on the same car the bulkhead had rusted where the throttle cable mounted to, so made up abit of angle and bolted that in place...
same car needed welding in footwells as flintstone style holes, so some rubbermat and silicone selant had her watertight
blimey thinking back that car was a massive bodge all round!

held a rad in place on an axgt with cable ties, til eventually they snapped and the plastic end cap melted on the motorway leading to me being towed home on an aframe for 40 mins, that sucked.